the government??
you don't want any interstate highways?
wrong drainage?
can you prove this?
the interstates/etc are good for the majority
the people voted for that government, so it's the people's vault
most people want the interstates/etc
tough luck on those [ stupid enough ] that build in flood areas

If you think the government not following the plans they came up with is a good idea and not a stupid mistake, then there isn't much I could convince you of. If you build a house that isn't in a flood area, until the stupid government builds a dam around your house making it a flood zone, that is tough luck, because the government will never take responsibility for their mistakes.
ok, no links/no evidence/etc
got it

ok, no links/no evidence/etc
got it

I can see where with your intellectual prowess, you could be inclined to want to believe I just made all that up, so you could say, "Nuh-uh", for no real reason whatsoever. :21:

the government??
you don't want any interstate highways?
wrong drainage?
can you prove this?
the interstates/etc are good for the majority
the people voted for that government, so it's the people's vault
most people want the interstates/etc
tough luck on those [ stupid enough ] that build in flood areas

If you think the government not following the plans they came up with is a good idea and not a stupid mistake, then there isn't much I could convince you of. If you build a house that isn't in a flood area, until the stupid government builds a dam around your house making it a flood zone, that is tough luck, because the government will never take responsibility for their mistakes.

(edit)
Sorry Will, it's kind of off topic, but I'm not cussing. :21:
have at it.
Also I forgot to mention FL's de facto tickets for tourists traffic code.

Asphalt and concrete slow down water soaking into the soil. The Northeast and the industrial Midwest have been experiencing much worse in the way of flooding at a compounding rate for several decades. What reduces flooding are swamps, marshes and other annoying wetlands. Judging from "Super Storm" Sandy the Northeast in particular has been busy paving over wetlands at an insane rate. If even a tropical wave hits anywhere north of the Potomac the results will probably be catastrophic with the possible exceptions of areas with a lot of commercial cranberry bogs, which act like swamps. The tropical storm season really revs up in Sept. What political and economic consequences do you see coming?

Don't forget levees raising the speed of the water as well as the height. That is a big thing here.

In Missoura we like big government flood protection, bailouts and massive levee systems. The farmers go gaga for them, maybe because they care more about selling off their family's fertile bottomlands for millions after some welfare levee was erected. Then some welfare loving big business comes in and gets a subsudy to buold this or that while driving small businesses who have to pay for space out.

Big government cycle that will not end imo.

The answer is retention ponds. It is not complicated. If the largest typical rainfall in an area is, for example, 6 inches in a day, developers need to dig and drain their development into a retention pond which is 1/2 acre-ft for every acre of development. It slows down the water into the natural drainage system and neutralizes the impact of the development on flooding.

The answer is retention ponds. It is not complicated. If the largest typical rainfall in an area is, for example, 6 inches in a day, developers need to dig and drain their development into a retention pond which is 1/2 acre-ft for every acre of development. It slows down the water into the natural drainage system and neutralizes the impact of the development on flooding.
There is no shortage of non flood land in America. I'm right by the confluence of the continent's two largest rivers. Ita obvious what floods and does not.

Some land just requires more infrastructure to support. More infrastructure supporting the existence of your home or business makes your county less competitive than the next, America less competitive compared to the Chinese.

This isn't Holland, we have bottomland good for farm fields and soccer fields. We have plenty of land that doesn't flood.

This isn't 1880. We have superior technology than the Romans had (but less pragmatism?). We have modern aquaducts so we don't need to live close enough to the river to bathe in it or carry water home in buckets.

Forum List

Back