Asperger's

Again, it's a form of autism that presents as (primarily) social ineptness.

Asperger's Syndrome-Symptoms

I know one who is a journalist and geologist and the other who is a student who was identified as being gifted at a very young age and is now finishing college.

My son is currently diagnosed with it. He originally was diagnosed with high functioning autism, and was recently "upgraded" as they called it, to aspergers.

I don't really see it though. His speech is behind but his social abilities have improved a lot. He's got a little girlfriend in his preschool class too which is more than can be said for the "normal" kids.

At 3.5, he's reading complex words and spelling them, and counting to 100. Amongst a ton of other cool things that most 3.5 year olds don't do.

I'd say at this point, he's WINNINGGGGG!
He has a gf at 3? He must take after his dad...lol.

Ass Burgers would be a very bad name for a fast food chain, except in San Francisco.

I know one who is a journalist and geologist and the other who is a student who was identified as being gifted at a very young age and is now finishing college.

Michael Lewis in his book The Big Short profiled a hedge fund manager who has Asperger's and made a fortune by shorting subprime mortgages. He said that if he didn't have Asperger's, he probably wouldn't have become rich because his extremely obsessive behavior is what caused him to do the research necessary.

There was an article on that guy in Vanity Fair. He actually started out as a doctor...and then diagnosed himself when he was listening to other people describe the symptons and had a Eureka moment when he realised he had the exact same symptoms...

Michael Lewis in his book The Big Short profiled a hedge fund manager who has Asperger's and made a fortune by shorting subprime mortgages. He said that if he didn't have Asperger's, he probably wouldn't have become rich because his extremely obsessive behavior is what caused him to do the research necessary.

here's the guy..

Michael Burry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because I am especially familiar with bipolar disorder and the effects low lithium levels, I googled the link between aspergers and bipolar disorder, as it seems that a great deal of bipolar people that I know have the worst aspergers.

This is one of my favorite sites: "http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/160/1/184-a"

However, from my experience anti-depressants were not the best cures. Infact, the experimentation with the medication and 'finding what works' took such a toll on a few individuals that they refused to follow through with any kind of drug therapy at all, leaving the possible solution to catalysts. Hence, one of the biggest reasons I am in full support of such now. Personal, individual experience is what gives us the edge in things such as aspergers but one's experience is not another's and it seems we should refrain from judging what works for another out of not only respect but also careful wisdom.

Here is a site regarding autism "http://www.aspergerssyndrome.org/"

It is common for aspergers to be linked to many things that are labeled as mental deficiencies. I am saddened at the levels of massive misconstrued, misunderstood information of 'it all'. It seems to only prove us 'all' to be quite the naive ones.

My son is currently diagnosed with it. He originally was diagnosed with high functioning autism, and was recently "upgraded" as they called it, to aspergers.

I don't really see it though. His speech is behind but his social abilities have improved a lot. He's got a little girlfriend in his preschool class too which is more than can be said for the "normal" kids.

At 3.5, he's reading complex words and spelling them, and counting to 100. Amongst a ton of other cool things that most 3.5 year olds don't do.

I'd say at this point, he's WINNINGGGGG!
He has a gf at 3? He must take after his dad...lol.

Playa runs in the family I guess :D

Lol...

I dunno but I know a couple of writers with it. I think it would be exceedingly difficult to diagnose through written communication.

I suspect that aspergers is merely a state of affairs where one's interpersonal IQ is extraordinarily low.

When people consistently show us that they truly cannot understand other people's emotional POVs, they are showing us that they are leaning more toward the asperger's range than the norm.

I mean if you cannot read, nor can you even understand normal human emotions, you're not going to get most people's POVs.

Lol...

I dunno but I know a couple of writers with it. I think it would be exceedingly difficult to diagnose through written communication.

I suspect that aspergers is merely a state of affairs where one's interpersonal IQ is extraordinarily low.

When people consistently show us that they truly cannot understand other people's emotional POVs, they are showing us that they are leaning more toward the asperger's range than the norm.

I mean if you cannot read, nor can you even understand normal human emotions, you're not going to get most people's POVs.

Most people I know (adults) and teach (kids) who have aspergers are very good readers.

But you are correct about their social skills, and many do better on-line than face to face since they don't have to look someone in the eye.

My daughter's best friend has aspergers, and he is one of the smartest kids in his class.

The human condition is not a statistical norm. That is an illusion for the sake of comfort.

Exactly. Every human is different, no matter what they are 'labeled'.

and every human is alike no matter how hard we try to pretend it isn't so.

True :

Shylock: I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Curious autism discovery...
:confused:
Fraternal twins with autism: Is risk in the womb?
Jul 4,`11 -- Most of the risk of autism has been blamed by experts on inherited genes. Now one of the largest studies of twins and autism shifts the focus to the womb, suggesting that the mother's age and health may play a larger role than thought.
The new research doesn't solve the mystery of what causes autism. Most scientists think faulty genes and outside factors are both at work. And since autism spectrum disorders include a wide range of conditions, from mild to severe, it's unlikely there's a single cause for all of them. Conditions during pregnancy may trigger autism where there's a genetic vulnerability, said Dr. Gary Goldstein of the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, who was not involved in the new research. "We've identified lots of vulnerability genes, but not everybody who has them gets autism," Goldstein said.

The new twins study, published Monday by Archives of General Psychiatry, used rigorous methods to diagnose autism spectrum disorders, including direct observation of the children. Using California health records, it's the largest study to do that and the first to consider a large sample of twins drawn from a general population, said lead author Dr. Joachim Hallmayer of Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif. Children with autism can have trouble communicating and interacting socially. They may have poor eye contact and engage in repetitive behavior such as rocking or hand-flapping. One in 100 children have autism disorders, according to U.S. government estimates.

The new study included 192 sets of twins where at least one of the twins was affected with autism. Some of the twins were identical and some were non-identical, or fraternal, twins. The researchers used DNA testing to determine which twins were identical and which were fraternal. That was important because identical twins come from one fertilized egg and have identical genetic makeups. Fraternal twins, from two fertilized eggs, share no more genetic material than any other siblings. The new study found, as expected, high rates of shared autism disorders for identical twins: 77 percent of male twin pairs and 50 percent for female pairs had autism in both twins.

Surprisingly, it also found fairly high rates of fraternal twins both having autism spectrum disorders: 31 percent rate for male fraternal twins and 36 percent for female fraternal twins. Other studies have found 10 to 20 percent of younger siblings of children with autism are likely to be diagnosed themselves with the disorder. Fraternal twins share the same womb, even though they don't share identical genes. That could be important, said Dr. John Constantino of Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, who wasn't involved in the new research. "Finding so many fraternal twin pairs in whom both twins have autism spectrum disorders is a key finding that puts a spotlight on pregnancy as a time when environmental factors might exert their effects," Constantino said.

MORE

Forum List

Back