Ask your doctor ..is abilify right for u ?

It seems to be a game the government is playing with the ambulance chasing litigators. Big Pharma is forced to fund a gigantic well of money for law suits regarding products the federal government approved for sale. There are actually law firms which troll for customers with mini drama ads regarding potential law suits against companies that still produce the product.

I know someone who takes Abilify, it worked well for a few months, then was no better than the old medication. Abilify is heavy duty, easy for those who do not suffer from certain illnesses to OD on.

EOTS is a fool. he has publicly stated on this board that mental health meds are a crock and poison. Don't bother trying to have a conversation with him on them.

The fact is, psychopharmacology is in its infancy - when did the first mood-affecting meds come out, in the '50's?

And we know there ARE idiosyncratic reactions, we suspect some of it's genetic - but we haven't yet got a reliable means of predicting who's going to have the negative reactions to what meds.

It seems that the human genome project may help with that - but meanwhile some people just have serious reactions to some meds and we can't figure out why.

The fact is, psychopharmacology is in its infancy - when did the first mood-affecting meds come out, in the '50's?

And we know there ARE idiosyncratic reactions, we suspect some of it's genetic - but we haven't yet got a reliable means of predicting who's going to have the negative reactions to what meds.

It seems that the human genome project may help with that - but meanwhile some people just have serious reactions to some meds and we can't figure out why.

that pretty much sums up the pseudo- science of psychiatric medicine

Last edited:

I know someone who takes Abilify, it worked well for a few months, then was no better than the old medication. Abilify is heavy duty, easy for those who do not suffer from certain illnesses to OD on.

EOTS is a fool. he has publicly stated on this board that mental health meds are a crock and poison. Don't bother trying to have a conversation with him on them.

hey Mon. I just used my mad skills to put some fat beats to the drug companies sales pitch and then illustrated it with some interesting pics and effects...dont shoot the messenjah

Just curious what your educational/professional background is, as you seem very certain in your sneering at medical science?
My onw background is more towards 'social' sciences - but I've got a child who's working in microbio research which should have some medical applications.

Just curious what your educational/professional background is, as you seem very certain in your sneering at medical science?
My onw background is more towards 'social' sciences - but I've got a child who's working in microbio research which should have some medical applications.

Appeal to authority.. irrelevant to the facts... psychiatric medicine is no more a true science than social "science"

Not really, but if you want to insist I should believe things just on your say-so I'll be ignoring you from now on.

I hadn't 'decided' anything and was considering how to evaluate your hitherto-unsubstantiated allegations - and you can't resist slamming my field without knowing anything more about it.

At this point I don't really care what your 'definition' of a 'true' science may be.

Not really, but if you want to insist I should believe things just on your say-so I'll be ignoring you from now on.

I hadn't 'decided' anything and was considering how to evaluate your hitherto-unsubstantiated allegations - and you can't resist slamming my field without knowing anything more about it.

At this point I don't really care what your 'definition' of a 'true' science may be.

they are the facts not allegations and how you evaluatethe facts is through examining the facts.. not red herrings and appeal to authority furthermore while social science may have some validity or use it is not true science...that as well is just a fact....but you go play ostrich all you want and ignore away

And of course if enough people can be terrorized into fear and mistrust of 'big pharma' - then the research might just stop and we won't be able to solve the problem of predicting severe side effects.

Not to mention that many people are living much better lives because of such medications.

And of course the summary rejection of all psychoactive medications is no more responsible a position to advocate than is gobbling them up indiscriminately.

Seems to me you've been tilting at strawmen......

And of course if enough people can be terrorized into fear and mistrust of 'big pharma' - then the research might just stop and we won't be able to solve the problem of predicting severe side effects.

terrorized into fear ?...with facts ?... perhaps they would they would instead research effective treatments to heal those in states of mental distress

Not to mention that many people are living much better lives because of such medications.

many peoples lives are destroyed by these so called medications...mental illness increases every year not decreases..many who have some relief could of got there without these toxic drugs and other therapys

And of course the summary rejection of all psychoactive medications is no more responsible a position to advocate than is gobbling them up indiscriminately.

Seems to me you've been tilting at strawmen.....

its not a summary rejection..it is proven the drugs are no more effective than placebo and they are highly toxic

In the early 1990s, everyone was listening to Prozac — right up until they weren't anymore. By the middle of that decade, the media had begun spotlighting disasters involving the life-changing wonder drug — cases of suicide, even mass murder, apparently spurred by Prozac and similar medications. And by 2005, the Food and Drug Administration had mandated a black-box warning on all antidepressants, cautioning against an increase in suicide risk in certain patients.
Since then, a small but vocal minority of researchers have also questioned whether the mood-enhancing benefit of antidepressants amounts to anything more than a psychological artifact. They point to studies that suggest the drugs' seemingly powerful effects are the same as those of a sugar pill. Most recently, a headline-grabbing Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) paper published in January found that antidepressants worked no better than a placebo in patients with mild or moderate depression (but the study did conclude that medication helped the most persistent and severe cases). For some observers, however, the judgment was sealed. That month, Newsweek ran a cover story bemoaning "The Depressing News About Antidepressants."

Read more: Are Antidepressants like Paxil Effective or Placebo? - TIME

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvQr9EAh28]Antidepressants found to be no better than Placebo. - YouTube[/ame]

For over a decade Loren R Mosher, MD, held a central position in American psychiatric research.

He was the first Chief of the Center for Studies of Schizophrenia at the National Institute of Mental Health, 1969-1980. He founded the Schizophrenia Bulletin and for ten years he was its Editor-in-Chief. He led the Soteria Project.

The Soteria research demonstrated that there is a better way: A better way to treat schizophrenia and other psychoses that destroy the lives of so many young people. The Soteria research showed that the prevalent excessive destructive psychiatric drugging of all these young people is a huge and tragic mistake. The psychiatric establishment was offended. Prestige and Money won. Truth and Love lost.

The success (!) of Soteria was the reason that Dr Mosher was forced to leave his key position in American psychiatry.

When Dr Mosher died he was Director of Soteria Associates, San Diego, and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego.

was a collaborating investigator, then Research Director, of the Soteria Project – Community Alternatives for the Treatment of Schizophrenia. In this role, he was instrumental in developing and researching an innovative, non-drug, non-hospital, home-like, residential treatment facility for acutely psychotic persons. The many publications from this experiment demonstrate both the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of its non-traditional approach to the treatment of persons newly identified as having schizophrenia. Continuing his career long interest in clinical research Dr. Mosher was (1990 – 1996) the Principal Investigator of a Center for Mental Health Services(CMHS) research/demonstration grant for the first study to compare clinical outcomes and costs of long term seriously mentally ill public-sector clients (he termed them “frequent flyers”) randomly assigned (with no psychopathology based exclusion criteria) to a residential alternative to hospitalization or the psychiatric ward of a local general hospital (the McPath project). The results of this study which comparable clinical effectiveness with a 40% cost saving favoring the alternative, have important acute care implications.

http://www.moshersoteria.com/bio-of-loren-mosher-soteria/

Last edited:

Thank you RGS.

Forum List

Back