Ask this guy about govt-run healthcare

Smartmouthwoman

Inspected by #12
Jul 22, 2009
Dallas, TX
Soldier Loses Legs To Surgery Mishap

SACRAMENTO, Ca. - Airman Colton Read lost both of his due legs to a blotched gall-bladder surgery.

Read Went into Travis Air Force base to have a routine laparoscopic surgery to remove his gall-bladder.

Read’s wife, Jessica, and mother Sherry where shocked to learn that the surgery had been performed by a resident, a doctor in training.

The procedure went horribly wrong when the resident accidentally severed Colton’s aortic valve.

It took over eight hours to transport Read to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, a state hospital only 40 minutes away.

“We were told that if it had been within a six hour period, the limbs could have been saved,” Sherry Read told reporters.

Travis Air Force Base Spokesperson, Holly Hess, says that there is an exhaustive review with experts from outside the medical center, as well as an internal investigation to figure out what really happened.

Colton’s wife tries to remain optimistic. His mother Sherry though, is heart broken.

“We have it in writing that my son’s very first question was is he going to continue with his career.”

Oh yeah, and BTW... they never did get his gallbladder out. Amazing fact #2, since 1950, it's not possible to sue the government for blotched medical care. Anybody heard Obama saying he'll remove that law from the books?

The medical 'accident' isn't the main reason for concern. The fact that it took them over 8 hours to get him to a hospital that could help him is the important point in this story.

Government red-tape in action.

The medical 'accident' isn't the main reason for concern. The fact that it took them over 8 hours to get him to a hospital that could help him is the important point in this story.

Actually, military red-tape in this instance. Yes the military is part of the government, but it has it's own beauracracy.

a friend of mine died from cancer a little over a year ago, he had full medical coverage from his job and while undergoing treatment he had some complications and went to an emergency room, as a very sick drained cancer patient he was made to wait over 24 hours in the emergency room and denied anything to drink during that time, no matter how you slice it our current health care system is messed up and needs fixing.

a friend of mine died from cancer a little over a year ago, he had full medical coverage from his job and while undergoing treatment he had some complications and went to an emergency room, as a very sick drained cancer patient he was made to wait over 24 hours in the emergency room and denied anything to drink during that time, no matter how you slice it our current health care system is messed up and needs fixing.

over 24 hrs
better get ready to call ahead for seating!!

SACRAMENTO, Ca. - Airman Colton Read lost both of his due legs to a blotched gall-bladder surgery.

Read Went into Travis Air Force base to have a routine laparoscopic surgery to remove his gall-bladder.

Read’s wife, Jessica, and mother Sherry where shocked to learn that the surgery had been performed by a resident, a doctor in training.

The procedure went horribly wrong when the resident accidentally severed Colton’s aortic valve.

It took over eight hours to transport Read to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, a state hospital only 40 minutes away.

“We were told that if it had been within a six hour period, the limbs could have been saved,” Sherry Read told reporters.

Travis Air Force Base Spokesperson, Holly Hess, says that there is an exhaustive review with experts from outside the medical center, as well as an internal investigation to figure out what really happened.

Colton’s wife tries to remain optimistic. His mother Sherry though, is heart broken.

“We have it in writing that my son’s very first question was is he going to continue with his career.”

Oh yeah, and BTW... they never did get his gallbladder out. Amazing fact #2, since 1950, it's not possible to sue the government for blotched medical care. Anybody heard Obama saying he'll remove that law from the books?

Hey idiot, you don't sue the insurance company when the doctor fucks up.

And right now you can't sue the drug companies as long as the FDA approved their drugs. Do you know who's trying to change that? The Dems. Who's blocking that you ask? The GOP.

What ever happened to your frivilous lawsuit argument? Another example where you guys want it both ways. Tort reform my ass.

The overuse of emergency rooms is pathetic, but that is how the system is set up. That is the place illegals go when they get sick because that is the only place where they can get treatment. But there is more. While most private insurance policies have deductibles, and sometimes higher deductibles, many of those same policies wave the deductible for emergency room care.

When I broke my toe a couple of years ago, I went to the emergency room, because my out of pocket cost would only be $100, rather than having to pay the full amount against my $1000 deductible and then 80/20.

And right now you can't sue the drug companies as long as the FDA approved their drugs. Do you know who's trying to change that? The Dems. Who's blocking that you ask? The GOP.

What ever happened to your frivilous lawsuit argument? Another example where you guys want it both ways. Tort reform my ass.

Just because some party calls for change doesn't mean the change is going to be for the better. Obama has proved that. He is a big change alright...Marxism on the march! The constant misnomer has been to call it "change the American people need." We don't need what he's bringing.

You think health care is fucked up now, just wait 'til the Federal Government gets its fumbling hands on the control stick.

The only thing wrong with our health care system right now is the cost of it. Giving the reins to the government will only make it cost more...in dollars and lives. Soon there will be a committee deciding who lives and who dies. Tell me how you plan to preclude bias and favoritism spewing from that system.

What a bunch of dimwitted assholes we have pushing socialized medicine.

Just because some party calls for change doesn't mean the change is going to be for the better. Obama has proved that. He is a big change alright...Marxism on the march! The constant misnomer has been to call it "change the American people need." We don't need what he's bringing.

You think health care is fucked up now, just wait 'til the Federal Government gets its fumbling hands on the control stick.

The only thing wrong with our health care system right now is the cost of it. Giving the reins to the government will only make it cost more...in dollars and lives. Soon there will be a committee deciding who lives and who dies. Tell me how you plan to preclude bias and favoritism spewing from that system.

According to liberal "God", Paul Krugma, government already directly furnishes 60% of health care in this country yet that idiot thinks the 40% it doesn't is the problem,amazing.

A friend of mine caught the flu and started having a hard time breathing, so I took him to the ER of Methodist Hospital, told them he was suffering from respiratory distress and he was in a triage room with a team of doctors within 5 minutes, put on a respirator and admitted to the CCU with double pneumonia. He then developed a blood infection, underwent surgery to remove his gallbladder and spent another week in ICU.

He had no health insurance and was asked to pay $20 a month toward his $250,000 hospital bill and they wouldn't turn it over to collection. A co-worker who's a member of the Methodist church told me every Sunday when they are receiving communion, they are asked to leave an donation on the back of the pew as support for the charitable services at Methodist Hospital of Dallas.

Yeah, our healthcare system has problems and needs FIXING. But what it doesn't need is to be thrown out and a new plan brought in which puts the burden of care for uninsured squarely on the taxpayers backs.

Nobody dies from lack of health insurance in this country.

I, like many Americans, tune out when we start hearing liars lie. My eyes glazed over as soon as I read the word Marx. Fuck that!

The White House - Blog Post - The President's Press Conference - Full Video

Truth be told — with each passing day, more and more Americans are unable to get the health care they need, when they need it. Skyrocketing co-pays and deductibles and soaring insurance premiums are crushing our family budgets and small businesses. Unless we act now, these problems are guaranteed to get worse and worse.

Under reform, American families will get the stability and security they deserve. They'll no longer have to fear losing health care coverage if they lose or switch jobs, going bankrupt if they become seriously ill, or being denied coverage because of a pre-existing medical condition. Reform will ensure all Americans have access to quality, affordable insurance.

We all have a stake in this and for the 14,000 Americans who are losing their health insurance each day —

So, you think it would be frivilous to sue a doctor who sliced your aorta during routine day surgery and you ended up losing both your legs?

Moot point, since the doctor works for the govt. Malpractice lawsuits are limited to $250,000 in the State of Texas. Would you settle for $250K if you were in this guys... um... wheelchair?

In a medical malpractice action filed on or after September 1, 2003, regardless of the number of causes of action asserted, non-economic damages are limited to a total of $250,000 from all doctors and other individuals. Non-economic damages are limited to $250,000 from each hospital or other institution and a total of $500,000 from all institutions

We all have a stake in this and for the 14,000 Americans who are losing their health insurance each day

Gee, at least 5,000 of those losing the health insurance must've gotten laid off by Lockheed when Obama cancelled their contract.

Once you start exaggerating to prove your point, you've already lost the argument.

A friend of mine caught the flu and started having a hard time breathing, so I took him to the ER of Methodist Hospital, told them he was suffering from respiratory distress and he was in a triage room with a team of doctors within 5 minutes, put on a respirator and admitted to the CCU with double pneumonia. He then developed a blood infection, underwent surgery to remove his gallbladder and spent another week in ICU.

He had no health insurance and was asked to pay $20 a month toward his $250,000 hospital bill and they wouldn't turn it over to collection. A co-worker who's a member of the Methodist church told me every Sunday when they are receiving communion, they are asked to leave an donation on the back of the pew as support for the charitable services at Methodist Hospital of Dallas.

Yeah, our healthcare system has problems and needs FIXING. But what it doesn't need is to be thrown out and a new plan brought in which puts the burden of care for uninsured squarely on the taxpayers backs.

Who do you think is paying for this "charity care" then? It is the people with insurance, aka TAXPAYERS. I'm sorry, but a few dollars in a pew each weak isn't paying for your friend and every other uninsured care. Hospitals are run like a business, and those bad debts are passed on to you and I just like bad debts at every other business are built into the paying customer's cost.

So, you approve of suing private doctors.

yeah...it's not like people with private health care die in surgery or anything...

:cuckoo:

It had been the most difficult of months at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. The death of novelist Olivia Goldsmith, who had gone there for elective facial surgery on January 7 and entered an irreversible coma within hours, became national news. Figuring out which of the well-known surgeons who work there had operated on her became a dark guessing game from Tribeca to Scarsdale. And Goldsmith herself would have been embarrassed to write an ending so baldly and tragically ironic: checking in to look more youthful—and never checking out.

Just as it seemed the storm was about to subside, the situation got worse. On February 16, a second woman, Susan Malitz, the 54-year-old wife of Connecticut urologist Alan J. Malitz and daughter-in-law of psychiatrist Sidney Malitz, died during a face-lift. And unlike in the Goldsmith case, where the surgeon turned out to be Norman Pastorek, a highly respected but relatively low-key otolaryngologist, Malitz’s doctor was Sherrell Aston, the hospital’s plastic-surgery chairman, widely considered to be one of the two or three most skilled facial sculptors in New York (who worked in tandem with veteran anesthesiologist Gary Mellen, a favorite with the hospital's doctors).

Another Plastic Surgery Death at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat - Cityside

Who do you think is paying for this "charity care" then? It is the people with insurance, aka TAXPAYERS. I'm sorry, but a few dollars in a pew each weak isn't paying for your friend and every other uninsured care. Hospitals are run like a business, and those bad debts are passed on to you and I just like bad debts at every other business are built into the paying customer's cost.

You greatly underestimate the power of charitable giving in America. Here's a few statistics to chew on.

Charitable Giving

89 percent of households give.

The average annual contribution for contributors is $1,620.

According to Giving USA, American giving reach a record high in 2007, with donations totaling $314-billion. Giving has since dropped by 2% to $308 billion in 2008.

Two-thirds of charities saw drops in charitable giving in 2008. The exceptions were Religion, Public-Society Benefit, and International Affairs.2
Historically, charitable giving rises about one-third as fast as the stock market.

Charitable giving accounted for 2.2% of gross domestic product.

It is estimated that between $6.6 trillion to $27.4 trillion in charitable bequests will be made between 1998-2052.

It is estimated total charitable contributions will total between $21.2 to $55.4 trillion in between 1998-2052.

By the year 2055, some $41 trillion will change hands as Americans pass on their accumulated assets to the next generation.3

86 percent of wealthy donors said they are most motivated to give by the notion of "meeting critical needs" and 83 percent said "giving back to society" is motivational.

80 percent of wealthy donors surveyed said they are most likely to make contributions to educational organizations, with religious (72%) and health organizations (70%) following in popularity.

Corporate foundations gave $4.2 billion in 2006 and 57% expect to give more in 2007.

Corporate giving, including grants from corporate foundations, increased substantially by 18.5 percent, to $13.8 billion.

Giving by the nation's 2,600 grant making corporate foundations grew an estimated 6 percent in 2006 to a record 4.2 billion.

57 percent of corporate foundations expect to increase their giving in 2007.

Electronic gifts to the 187 organizations that provided figures for 2005 and 2006 grew by 37 percent, from $880.7 million to $1.2 billion, and eighty-five of those groups saw online gifts grow by more than 50 percent.

In 2006, 83 percent of total contributions came from donations from individuals, including bequests.

I'm certainly not saying our healthcare system doesn't need some changes. And I agree that situations like that of my friend drive up the cost of health care for all of us.

But what I am saying is this -- NO ONE DIES FROM LACK OF HEALTHCARE INSURANCE IN THE UNITED STATES.

And I stand by that statement.

Just out of curiosity, which department of the govt would you trust to make decisions about you and your family's healthcare? Dept of Health & Human Services? The IRS? Homeland Security? FEMA? Dept of Labor? Dept of Education? Social Security Admin? Dept of Motor Vehicles?

What's your govt 'role model' agency that gives you confidence the Feds are capable of reducing the cost of healthcare in this country?

Forum List

Back