Ask this guy about govt-run healthcare

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Smartmouthwoman, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Inspected by #12

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Soldier Loses Legs To Surgery Mishap

SACRAMENTO, Ca. - Airman Colton Read lost both of his due legs to a blotched gall-bladder surgery.

Read Went into Travis Air Force base to have a routine laparoscopic surgery to remove his gall-bladder.

Read’s wife, Jessica, and mother Sherry where shocked to learn that the surgery had been performed by a resident, a doctor in training.

The procedure went horribly wrong when the resident accidentally severed Colton’s aortic valve.

It took over eight hours to transport Read to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, a state hospital only 40 minutes away.

“We were told that if it had been within a six hour period, the limbs could have been saved,” Sherry Read told reporters.

Travis Air Force Base Spokesperson, Holly Hess, says that there is an exhaustive review with experts from outside the medical center, as well as an internal investigation to figure out what really happened.

Colton’s wife tries to remain optimistic. His mother Sherry though, is heart broken.

“We have it in writing that my son’s very first question was is he going to continue with his career.”

Oh yeah, and BTW... they never did get his gallbladder out. Amazing fact #2, since 1950, it's not possible to sue the government for blotched medical care. Anybody heard Obama saying he'll remove that law from the books?

2. noose4

noose4 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +610
    thank god these type of accidents dont happen to people who have private insurance.

3. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Man,that's awful,I don't care what plan,I wish the best for him and his family.

4. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Inspected by #12

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The medical 'accident' isn't the main reason for concern. The fact that it took them over 8 hours to get him to a hospital that could help him is the important point in this story.

Government red-tape in action.

5. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Actually, military red-tape in this instance. Yes the military is part of the government, but it has it's own beauracracy.

6. noose4

noose4 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +610
    a friend of mine died from cancer a little over a year ago, he had full medical coverage from his job and while undergoing treatment he had some complications and went to an emergency room, as a very sick drained cancer patient he was made to wait over 24 hours in the emergency room and denied anything to drink during that time, no matter how you slice it our current health care system is messed up and needs fixing.

7. pete

pete The food stamp president

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    over 24 hrs
    better get ready to call ahead for seating!!

8. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    Hey idiot, you don't sue the insurance company when the doctor fucks up.

And right now you can't sue the drug companies as long as the FDA approved their drugs. Do you know who's trying to change that? The Dems. Who's blocking that you ask? The GOP.

What ever happened to your frivilous lawsuit argument? Another example where you guys want it both ways. Tort reform my ass.

9. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    The overuse of emergency rooms is pathetic, but that is how the system is set up. That is the place illegals go when they get sick because that is the only place where they can get treatment. But there is more. While most private insurance policies have deductibles, and sometimes higher deductibles, many of those same policies wave the deductible for emergency room care.

When I broke my toe a couple of years ago, I went to the emergency room, because my out of pocket cost would only be $100, rather than having to pay the full amount against my $1000 deductible and then 80/20.

10. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    Just because some party calls for change doesn't mean the change is going to be for the better. Obama has proved that. He is a big change alright...Marxism on the march! The constant misnomer has been to call it "change the American people need." We don't need what he's bringing.

You think health care is fucked up now, just wait 'til the Federal Government gets its fumbling hands on the control stick.

The only thing wrong with our health care system right now is the cost of it. Giving the reins to the government will only make it cost more...in dollars and lives. Soon there will be a committee deciding who lives and who dies. Tell me how you plan to preclude bias and favoritism spewing from that system.

What a bunch of dimwitted assholes we have pushing socialized medicine.