Ask an Atheist

Since Buddhists do not believe in God, heaven, or hell, they are atheists.

So why don't you answer the OP question yourself?

Because Buddhists are non-theists, not technically atheists.

What is the difference between a "non-theist" and an atheists.

Remember--Atheist contains the prefix A- meaning "not or non" :redface:

Atheism is on a practical level anti ALL religion, including non-theistic religions, like Buddhism.

Last edited:
Because Buddhists are non-theists, not technically atheists.
Semantics.

If Buddhists used the term atheist they would lose their religion's tax exempt status.

So they use non-theist so they can still qualify as a religion.

It's not semantics. There is a difference between atheism and non-theism. Atheism is opposed to all religion and no belief in God or gods. Buddhism is a non-theistic religion that employs the use of meditational deities in visualization practice and sadhanas.

Actually, no. Your definition is for non-religious, not atheist.

Atheists do not believe in God. And usually, this is referring to the god as defined by he majority group of theist that the atheist live among. For instance, Western Atheist do not believe in the god of Abraham. The other Western definition of god actually is derived from the Jewish definition based on the claims of the Christian and Muslims. Stating you do not believe in Jesus or that you do not believe in Allah/mohummad as his prophet does not make you an Atheists. However, stating that you do not believe in the Jewish god makes it impossible to accept Jesus or Allah in any logical fasihion.

However, this does not make you areligious. For instance, I don't believe in the Jewish god as an living entity, but I do appreciate the basic concepts of many of the laws of Moses especially those laws called the 10 commandments. I also apprecaiate some of the behavior laws of Jesus, but do not adhere to them strictly due to specific situations.

That is the difference.

Semantics.

If Buddhists used the term atheist they would lose their religion's tax exempt status.

So they use non-theist so they can still qualify as a religion.

It's not semantics. There is a difference between atheism and non-theism. Atheism is opposed to all religion and no belief in God or gods. Buddhism is a non-theistic religion that employs the use of meditational deities in visualization practice and sadhanas.

Actually, no. Your definition is for non-religious, not atheist.Atheists do not believe in God. And usually, this is referring to the god as defined by he majority group of theist that the atheist live among. For instance, Western Atheist do not believe in the god of Abraham. The other Western definition of god actually is derived from the Jewish definition based on the claims of the Christian and Muslims. Stating you do not believe in Jesus or that you do not believe in Allah/mohummad as his prophet does not make you an Atheists. However, stating that you do not believe in the Jewish god makes it impossible to accept Jesus or Allah in any logical fasihion.

However, this does not make you areligious. For instance, I don't believe in the Jewish god as an living entity, but I do appreciate the basic concepts of many of the laws of Moses especially those laws called the 10 commandments. I also apprecaiate some of the behavior laws of Jesus, but do not adhere to them strictly due to specific situations.

That is the difference.

I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying you're a religious atheist? You believe in the Ten Commandments, but not in God?

One of my questions to atheists:

If during your lifetime on earth, all the believers in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior disappeared, would you believe God's Word as 100% truth?

This is based on what you may or may not have heard as the "rapture". Jesus Christ is coming back and He will raise those dead and also alive up with Him. (in His timing, could be tomorrow or 1000 years from now). It'll be chaos on earth thereafter; but there are still many things we do not know or how it all pans out and many Christians even disagree (human nature/that).

But I'm just asking, if that happened where all the believers you knew went "poof", would you at least consider that as your "proof" you need?

You are asking if the rapture occurred
What if the Christian religion "Died"? That is, no one no longer believed in Christianity?

Religions do die--that happens when the religion no longer have followers and believers. If this occurred, why should anyone pick it up? Why not turn it into a mythology and use it in literature?

PS--there is normally a little chaos before the religion dies. But as the new religion takes hold, a new order sets in. This has happened many times before in human history.

Another question for atheists:

Are you an atheist or agnostic?

What is agnosticism?

Question: "What is agnosticism?"

Answer: Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God is impossible to be known or proven. The word “agnostic” essentially means “without knowledge.” Agnosticism is a more intellectually honest form of atheism. Atheism claims that God does not exist—an unprovable position. Agnosticism argues that God’s existence cannot be proven or unproven, that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists. In this, agnosticism is correct. God’s existence cannot be empirically proven or disproven.

Depends on your definition of God.

I consider myself a western atheists--I do not believe that Yawheh is a living entity.

However, if you change Yawheh into a philosophical concept, then I can actually be neither.

This living super being with conscience that cares about humanity and wants humans to love him is too far-fetched for me. Especially when you add in the fact that this being need the help of inept handlers to spread his message because, dog gone it, he forgot to put transmitters in our heads to recieve his commandments directly!

I find such a claim that a bit fishy.

If all the believers went "poof" Peace would reign on earth.

Do you really believe that? Atheists do not "war" or fight? They never argue? All have the same moral values?

What about other "religious" people who do not believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior? And/or what about all the muslims? They'll still be here; so atheists and muslims would never , ever "war'? Or will the nations be diivided into "what we believe" nations - ones who have Sharia law, and ones with no laws at all for the atheists? Who gets to decide who are the kings of these nations? Who will be kings of these nations?
Who's in authority?

People war because of wanting plain "power" also; not just what they believe in as their faith. We have a sin nature, a fallen nature.

That's the whole reason that Jesus Christ came to save us. From ourselves/sin.

Actually, war will still exist. Because we are human.

I don't think any particular religious group is the source of war. The easiest way to prove this is too look at a period of time that said religious group did not exist. Did man have war at that point of time. Yes. Then how can we blame war on said religious group?

On the other hand, I dont think the presence of said religious group prevent war. Using the same method but this time looking at a period of time said group existed. I ask, does war exist during this time period? Yes. Then said religious group do not prevent war.

Actually, no. Your definition is for non-religious, not atheist.Atheists do not believe in God. And usually, this is referring to the god as defined by he majority group of theist that the atheist live among. For instance, Western Atheist do not believe in the god of Abraham. The other Western definition of god actually is derived from the Jewish definition based on the claims of the Christian and Muslims. Stating you do not believe in Jesus or that you do not believe in Allah/mohummad as his prophet does not make you an Atheists. However, stating that you do not believe in the Jewish god makes it impossible to accept Jesus or Allah in any logical fasihion.

That is the difference.

I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying you're a religious atheist? You believe in the Ten Commandments, but not in God?

As a philosophical concept on how to live, I find some of the laws(of course I am skipping "keep the sabbath holy" and "thou shalt not grave images" here. No applicable to me) to be sensible and good advice.

I also see that some of the steps of Buddhism (I think it is the first three) as a method to improve one self and perception in terms of living this life. I also tend to associate these steps to what Muslims refer to as a Jihad with oneself.

In short I see different religions as different philosophies on how to live. I tend to reject "believing" in some of their claims due to the fantasy and unprovable aspects. Their stories are to be considered analogues if they come across as a pre-modern version of "Alice in Wonderland".

Because I do not believe in a literal god does not mean I rejected everything. There is some "pertinence" to religion. I just don't approach the different religions as believers do.

I just thought about it

I never did answer the main questions!

1)We have an "Ask a Mormon thread, I thought why not one for asking atheists questions?

Atheists are not unitied on what Atheism actually is. Such a thread would only start a fight amongst atheists. So tend to avoid creating such threads!

2) My first question: How do you live your life and think about death without religion?

Depends on how one develops their perception on life. I started out a as Methodist(with some Baptist overtones) and and began to question some of the claims of my religious leaders and statements in the "good book" concerning the faithful. (Hint to cult leaders--never make claims of the impossible for those that believe. That is a major red flag for falsehood!! ) I consider life a gift from my parents. The purpose of this life is to continue my family bloodline for they can only continue through me and my progeny. There are other relationships of my life and family, but this is the main basis for why I live.

Death is the end of the physical body. Any metaphysical concepts is considered speculation. But I am tend to believe that when my physical body dies, the me that is me ends. Of course I am interested in other opinions on this matter. But a little proof is appreciated. Remember--actual proof, not claims.

3)Where do your ethics come from?

This is the easiest question! We tend to copy ethics from you and the other religious people and compare and contrast

If all the believers went "poof" Peace would reign on earth. You forget that some people don't think the Bible is "God's Word".

That's a retarded post.

Humans want power and will use violence to get it if necessary, religious or not.

ethics exsisted long before any religion emerged

Actually, the emergence of ethics is probably the beginning of religion.

It is possible that the metaphysical part of religion was an attempt to "scare" people into maintaining an ethical code or justify punishing people that refused to abide by such codes.

In short, ethics are the seeds of religion.

The world would be more peaceful if the religious observed the 11th commandment:

11. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

In the United States, we have freedom OF religion, not freedom from religion.
Some would love it if we had freedom FROM religion.

You sound very much like you want to convert everyone to your beliefs. Do you believe the world would be better off if you and your ilk were to go "poof" and disappear?

I think the world would be more peaceful if those who want to convert everyone to their way of thinking went "poof".

No offense, but there wouldnt be any peace if that happened. There would be outright bloodshed on a global and catastrophic level.

It's a good thing the rapture is an 18th century concept and not a Biblical one.

You may be missing how irritating some religous people can be to others.

Sounds like, in your quest to expose the self-righteousness and annoying factor you see in so many, you have failed to recognize how self-righteous and annoying you have become.

Do you really believe that? Atheists do not "war" or fight? They never argue? All have the same moral values?

What about other "religious" people who do not believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior? And/or what about all the muslims? They'll still be here; so atheists and muslims would never , ever "war'? Or will the nations be diivided into "what we believe" nations - ones who have Sharia law, and ones with no laws at all for the atheists? Who gets to decide who are the kings of these nations? Who will be kings of these nations?
Who's in authority?

People war because of wanting plain "power" also; not just what they believe in as their faith. We have a sin nature, a fallen nature.

I don't think any particular religious group is the source of war. The easiest way to prove this is too look at a period of time that said religious group did not exist. Did man have war at that point of time. Yes. Then how can we blame war on said religious group?

On the other hand, I dont think the presence of said religious group prevent war. Using the same method but this time looking at a period of time said group existed. I ask, does war exist during this time period? Yes. Then said religious group do not prevent war.
gaWd invented war.gAwd is in the midst of his own war ! War is gawdLy !

Who's in authority?

I agree, humans were still at war with each other even before any of the major religions were forged.

Are you absolutely certain that there is no God?

No. Why do you ask?

That would make you an Agnostic, not an Atheist.

:cool:

Nope. You're mistaking the terms. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god or gods. An agnostic claims that the existence of gods isn't a provable concept. Different issues entirely.

I'm definitely an atheist, as I don't have any belief in god(s). Regarding agnosticism, the "provabilty" of a given god's existence depends on how they're defined. Most are formulated in ways that make proof elusive if not impossible.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back