Ask a snob: Why are MILLIONS of jobs going "unfilled"?

R

rdean

If we raised students’ math scores on international tests by 40 points, we would realize $75 trillion in economic gains by 2090. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, we have about 3.2 million unfilled jobs, while 14 million Americans are unemployed. Even worse, experts predict a shortage of 14 million college-educated workers by 2020.

More than half of business leaders say their companies face a major challenge in recruiting non-managerial employees with the right skills, training, and education. If we don’t pick up the pace, by 2020, there will be 123 million jobs in America defined as high-skilled and high-wage but only 50 million people will be qualified to fill them. Every single data point confirms that we must pick up the pace of education.

Instead of figuring out how to get more kids to match their grade level, we are debating issues such as the very existence of the U.S. Department of Education and the extent to which we should hold states and schools accountable.

Building a Globally Competitive Workforce | Institute for a Competitive Workforce

WASHINGTON — The U.S. unemployment rate remains above 8 percent, and every politician extols the importance of job creation. Yet each month thousands of manufacturing jobs are there for the taking – but companies are unable to hire sufficiently skilled workers.

Manufacturers push skills certificate as good jobs go unfilled | McClatchy

From 2010 through March, manufacturers added 470,000 jobs and enjoyed a rate of job growth 10% faster than the rest of the private economy. In the past many areas suffered from having too many industrial workers. Now it looks like we will have too few skilled ones, even in hard-hit sectors like the auto industry. In 2011 there were 50,000 unfilled U.S. job openings in industrial engineering, welding, and computer-controlled machine tool operating, according to the forecasting firm EMSI. If the revival continues, this shortage could worsen.

Cities Leading An American Manufacturing Revival - Forbes

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=1....,cf.osb&fp=e9b8bee5a44da4f1&biw=1192&bih=641

I don't know what to say. Rick Santurum feels education is for snobs. Republicans have blocked Obama at every turn. What is their plan for America? Banana Republic?

I don't know what to say. Rick Santurum feels education is for snobs. Republicans have blocked Obama at every turn. What is their plan for America? Banana Republic?
Well THAT would be the Bankers plan and they own both parties.

But still, one party is for education and jobs and the other party helped move millions of jobs to China and cuts education in every way they can. So it seems there is a difference.

'Free' education? Could rdean explain how we educate kids for 'free'?

What the fuck does that have to do with the OP?

In any case, there are plenty of "free" schools of higher education in the world. Just look at Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland. The tuition and other expenses for domestic students in these public universities is funded by the state. It might not be "free", because it's funded by tax dollars, but there you go.

But still, one party is for education and jobs and the other party helped move millions of jobs to China and cuts education in every way they can. So it seems there is a difference.

Look Dweeb! We would love to put the product of the current US education system to work, but we need workers with basic math skills. Someone that can put a readable sentence together with a minimum of spelling mistakes and proper punctuation. We don't give a shit about Malcolm X's date of birth or Heather has Two Mommies.
We want people who can operate a machine tool without getting their body piercings caught on moving parts and who's pants won't fall off if they have to move quickly. We want our workers to show up on time sober straight and well rested., not strung out, beat up or tired from a week of occupying Wall Street. And we WON'T be bailing them out of jail for pissing on police cars.
Conservatives don't "hate" education, you idiot! We just want the system to turn out educated graduates.

If we raised students’ math scores on international tests by 40 points, we would realize $75 trillion in economic gains by 2090. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, we have about 3.2 million unfilled jobs, while 14 million Americans are unemployed. Even worse, experts predict a shortage of 14 million college-educated workers by 2020.

More than half of business leaders say their companies face a major challenge in recruiting non-managerial employees with the right skills, training, and education. If we don’t pick up the pace, by 2020, there will be 123 million jobs in America defined as high-skilled and high-wage but only 50 million people will be qualified to fill them. Every single data point confirms that we must pick up the pace of education.

Instead of figuring out how to get more kids to match their grade level, we are debating issues such as the very existence of the U.S. Department of Education and the extent to which we should hold states and schools accountable.

Building a Globally Competitive Workforce | Institute for a Competitive Workforce

WASHINGTON — The U.S. unemployment rate remains above 8 percent, and every politician extols the importance of job creation. Yet each month thousands of manufacturing jobs are there for the taking – but companies are unable to hire sufficiently skilled workers.

Manufacturers push skills certificate as good jobs go unfilled | McClatchy

From 2010 through March, manufacturers added 470,000 jobs and enjoyed a rate of job growth 10% faster than the rest of the private economy. In the past many areas suffered from having too many industrial workers. Now it looks like we will have too few skilled ones, even in hard-hit sectors like the auto industry. In 2011 there were 50,000 unfilled U.S. job openings in industrial engineering, welding, and computer-controlled machine tool operating, according to the forecasting firm EMSI. If the revival continues, this shortage could worsen.

Cities Leading An American Manufacturing Revival - Forbes

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=1....,cf.osb&fp=e9b8bee5a44da4f1&biw=1192&bih=641

Since you linked to this thread in your post in my thread, I'll bite.

I am all for ratcheting up education spending in an effort to improve USA students' international performance. The federal government needs to offer aid to the state and local governments that are in budget shortfalls. However, education quality was not the point of my thread.

Look Dweeb! We would love to put the product of the current US education system to work, but we need workers with basic math skills. Someone that can put a readable sentence together with a minimum of spelling mistakes and proper punctuation. We don't give a shit about Malcolm X's date of birth or Heather has Two Mommies.
We want people who can operate a machine tool without getting their body piercings caught on moving parts and who's pants won't fall off if they have to move quickly. We want our workers to show up on time sober straight and well rested., not strung out, beat up or tired from a week of occupying Wall Street. And we WON'T be bailing them out of jail for pissing on police cars.
Conservatives don't "hate" education, you idiot! We just want the system to turn out educated graduates.

I've had to major career paths during my life. I spent 11 years as a mover/trucker and 13.5 years as a Systems Analyst/UNIX technical support for trading operations.

I've found that the type of people you described in your post..were mostly associated with physical labor. Or the Moving business. Why? They dropped out of high school.

I've had to major career paths during my life. I spent 11 years as a mover/trucker and 13.5 years as a Systems Analyst/UNIX technical support for trading operations.

I've found that the type of people you described in your post..were mostly associated with physical labor. Or the Moving business. Why? They dropped out of high school.

And YOU rose above it, right? There are jobs begging for workers with few worthy to fill them. People have to start somewhere or should everyone remain unemployed until they are qualified to be system annalists?

I'll answer with a picture of the Social Security office in San Antonio.
See any "retirees" ?

Attachments

• $ssaustin.jpeg
    $ssaustin.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 63
I'll answer with a picture of the Social Security office in San Antonio.
See any "retirees" ?

It sure is a shitty economy when so many are willing to cash in Social Security early because it's too difficult to find a job.

But they are owned by the same Bankers so you only have the "illusion" of choice.

And YOU rose above it, right? There are jobs begging for workers with few worthy to fill them. People have to start somewhere or should everyone remain unemployed until they are qualified to be system annalists?

Systems Analysts apparently don't need to be able to differentiate between 'to' and 'two'. Go figure.

Systems Analysts apparently don't need to be able to differentiate between 'to' and 'two'. Go figure.

Message board posters apparently sometimes have so little material they sometimes have to zero in on a likely typo to get anything out.

But whatcha gonna do?

:dunno:

In any case, there are plenty of "free" schools of higher education in the world. Just look at Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland. The tuition and other expenses for domestic students in these public universities is funded by the state. It might not be "free", because it's funded by tax dollars, but there you go.

Nice contradiction...It "might" not be free? Oh it absolutely IS NOT FREE when it IS Tax Dollars funding it.

There is no way to raise student scoring that doesn't involve participation by the students. If they insist on failing, there is no form of education and no amount of money that will change their minds. That includes direct payment.

Nice contradiction...It "might" not be free? Oh it absolutely IS NOT FREE when it IS Tax Dollars funding it.

I should have said that it is certainly more free than education in the USA because there sure as fuck isn't as big of a student debt issue in those countires as there is in the USA.

These countries are also sure as fuck not going through government debt crises.

Forum List

Back