Ask a cop a question...

[...]

Windbag, the cop was very patient, he was acting within his dept. policy and his training. Every cop has been trained and counseled that every traffic stop can go bad in a second. Do you know if the fool was armed? firearms today can be as small as cell phone or a pack of smokes, hidden in a belt buckle or a hat.

Did the officer know if the fool was alone in the car? was someone hidding in the vehicle with a firearm waiting for the officer to be distracted? Were the fools movements meant to distract the officer so an accomplish might get off a round or two?
Those concerns serve to emphasize the fact that making a night-time traffic stop on a quiet road while working alone for something as trivial as a crooked front license plate is unnecessarily jeopardizing one's safety. The reason it is done is the hope of finding cause to make a felony arrest, such as drugs, DUI, etc. It is what motivates many traffic stops. Cops refer to it as "going fishing" and it does account for many felony arrests.

But there are times when it backfires and this was one of those times.

Now he will know how to behave if he is ever stopped again.

get tazed.

YouTube - ‪Federal Lawsuit after Guy Tasered 6 Times for not Complying after Routine Traffic Stop‬‏

Watch the statists line up to justify this get getting tazed for not following orders.

Guess what, police do not have the power to give orders, all they have the power to do is make requests.

Some back story and thoughtful commentary is found here.

Simple Justice: The First Rule of Policing: A Demonstration

I tend to agree with the idea that the police need to protect themselves first, but this had obviously reached the point where the guy was not a danger to anyone, and there was no need to use force to walk away from the encounter safely. The cop could simply have explained to the otherwise law abiding citizen that he was pulled over because his front license was crooked. Instead he shot him with a deadly weapon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9riZYUpTw]YouTube - ‪Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey (HQ music video)‬‏[/ame]

I also find it interesting that the usual suspects (Tank/Liability) who always bleat on about personal freedom and liberty don't have a problem with a citizen being ordered around like he's in the former USSR...Citizens have the right to do whatever they want as long as they are within the law. The cop stopped him for a slightly askew license plate? is this America or Cuba?

Would you have told him to get back in his car?

Yes, I would have. I also would have answered his question.

Liar. He had NO reason not to comply. The Officer's demand was not some fanatical bs you suggest. It was protocol and safety.

What am I lying about? he had no reason to comply either. Just cause and all. And if just cause these days is a crooked number plate, then the US can forget about being the land of the free...

Forum List

Back