Ask a Buddhist

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
I just thought it would be fun for me to stay on a topic that I actually know something about. I've been attending Buddhist retreats since the early 1980's.

Any questions about Buddhism? If I don't know the answer I'll tell you I don't.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Buddhists are human beings. All human beings are subject to the five poisons of the mind; anger, desire, ignorance, pride and jealousy. You'd have to look at each individual Buddhist in the entirety of his or her life to find a context the presence and absence of conflict with some Christians.

Last edited:
Dear Buddist,

What is the secret to a happy life?

Sincerely,

One who could tolerate some improvement

All beings want to be happy and not suffer. The secret to a happy life is learning to be with what arises in the mind no matter what it is.

For exampe, if anger arises, notice it, don't suppress it. Give it some space. Invite it to the table of your loving mind. It's the nature of the mind to have these passing experiences. Problem is they are so compelling when they arise that we get lost in them. Then we create karma through speaking and acting. This leads to unhappiness.

The cloud of anger comes through and it seems dense and we get caught up in action/reaction and we forget that under the cloud is the clear blue sky and radiant sun.

I forget all the time. Something can come and set me off and there I go following it.

Everytime I catch it. it's a moment of enlightenment, then I have the opportunity to come back to my senses.

That's why most Buddhist meditation practices are sensual. The sensations of breathing, of listening, of contact with the earth, of seeing shapes and shadows color and light.

It breaks up the solidity of these unwholesome mental states. When there is freedom from suffering, happiness is close by.

I'm good person to ask this kind of question because I fail every day. I rejoice when I remember and I regret when I forget. I just keep trying.

Last edited:
Dear Buddist,

Is it true that Buddism teaches that happiness is about wanting as little as possible?

Sincerely,

One who wants too much

P.S. IMO, you have never written an unkind post, let alone one bashing someone else's beliefs.

Dear Buddist,

Is it true that Buddism teaches that happiness is about wanting as little as possible?

Sincerely,

One who wants too much

No, not really. It's the nature of all beings to want happiness and to avoid suffering. Where we get in trouble is when the wanting becomes attachment.

Say, we want to be loved and respected. That's a basic human desire. Where we get in trouble is when we don't get what we want and we get what we don't want. Then all manner of action/reaction follows and we dig ourselves in deeper.

Most of us want to live in peace, so how is it we don't create the causes for living in peace? I'm reflecting on this problem for myself.

There is a path of Buddhism that is monastic and the monks and nuns live with very little. The path of ethics for monastics is very strict.

I practice in a lay lineage. I live in the world and I work with my attachments to things, and people and feelings all the time.

It isn't wrong to want things, love, material comfort and so on. Its the grasping that throws a human being out of balance.

That grasping is what we train to recognize in meditation. When we let go of grasping we know it. Letting go of the hot poker of wanting to be loved and respected by others. Learning to give that to ourselves. All at once, back comes spaciousness.

Last edited:
Buddhists are human beings. All human beings are subject to the five poisons of the mind; anger, desire, ignorance pride and jealousy. You'd have to look at each individual Buddhist in the entirety of his or her life to find context the presence and absence of conflict with Christians.

A buddhist works every day to overcome these poisons.

I do something very similar...I have a list I keep with me of things I wish to do better as a human being, areas I feel I need to improve, and I try every day to live up to all of them.

Honesty, Charity/Charitable, Patience, Respect of others.

That's great Plymco. I think the point is when we fail, it's important to not beat up on ourselves but to get back on the horse as quickly as possible. Where we err is thinking we're supposed to be perfect. Everything in the known universe is impermanent.

Last edited:
That's great Plymco. I think the point is when we fail, it's important to not beat up on ourselves but to get back on the horse as quickly as possible. Where we err is thinking we're supposed to be perfect. Everything in the known universe is impermanent.

There are things I've done before that I wouldn't do again but I'm glad i did them because I've learned from them.

;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtKhakSmwhA]YouTube - Beastie Boys - Bodhissatva Vow[/ame]

As I Develop The Awakening Mind I Praise The Buddha As They Shine
I Bow Before You As I Travel My Path To Join Your Ranks,
I Make My Full Time Task
For The Sake Of All Beings I Seek
The Enlighted Mind That I Know I'll Reap
Respect To Shantideva And All The Others
Who Brought Down The Darma For Sisters And Brothers
I Give Thanks For This World As A Place To Learn
And For This Human Body That I'm Glad To Have Earned
And My Deepest Thanks To All Sentient Beings
For Without Them There Would Be No Place To Learn What I'm Seeing
There's Nothing Here That's Not Been Said Before
But I Put It Down Now So I'll Be Sure
To Solidify My Own Views And I'll Be Glad If It Helps
Anyone Else Out Too
If Others Disrespect Me Or Give Me Flack
I'll Stop And Think Before I React =
Knowing That They're Going Through Insecure Stages
I'll Take The Opportunity To Exercise Patience
I'll See It As A Chance To Help The Other Person
Nip It In The Bud Before It Can Worsen
A Change For Me To Be Strong And Sure
As I Think On The Buddhas Who Have Come Before
As I Praise And Respect The Good They've Done
Knowing Only Love Can Conquer In Every Situation
We Need Other People In Order To Create
The Circumstances For The Learning That We're Here To Generate
Situations That Bring Up Our Deepest Fears
So We Can Work To Release Them Until They're Cleared
Therefore, It Only Makes Sense
To Thank Our Enemies Despite Their Intent
The Bodhisattva Path Is One Of Power And Strength
A Strength From Within To Go The Length
Seeing Others Are As Important As Myself
I Strive For A Happiness Of Mental Wealth
With The Interconnectedness That We Share As One
Every Action That We Take Affects Everyone
So In Deciding For What A Situation Calls
There Is A Path For The Good For All
I Try To Make My Every Action For That Highest Good
With The Altruistic Wish To Achive Buddhahood
So I Pledge Here Before Everyone Who's Listening
To Try To Make My Every Action For The Good Of All Beings
For The Rest Of My Lifetimes And Even Beyond
I Vow To Do My Best To Do No Harm
And In Times Of Doubt I Can Think On The Dharma
And The Enlightened Ones Who've Graduated Samsara

Dear Buddist,

Sincerely,

One who wants too much

P.S. IMO, you have never written an unkind post, let alone one bashing someone else's beliefs.

I'd link you to some of her Christian bashing posts but there are too many.

Dear Buddist,

Sincerely,

One who wants too much

I'd link you to some of her Christian bashing posts but there are too many.

Christianity is off topic.

Forum List

Back