As Over-the-Top As Kerry or Hillary

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links at site:

http://www.themoderatevoice.com/posts/1115060699.shtml

A Skunk Spraying Inside The GOP Tent
by Joe Gandelman
If it turns out the Republican party loses moderates and centrists this is the kind of over-the-top rhetoric people will look back one day and say was responsible:

Federal judges are a more serious threat to America than Al Qaeda and the Sept. 11 terrorists, the Rev. Pat Robertson claimed yesterday.

"Over 100 years, I think the gradual erosion of the consensus that's held our country together is probably more serious than a few bearded terrorists who fly into buildings," Robertson said on ABC's "This Week with George Stephanopoulos."

"I think we have controlled Al Qaeda," the 700 Club host said, but warned of "erosion at home" and said judges were creating a "tyranny of oligarchy."

Confronted by Stephanopoulos on his claims that an out-of-control liberal judiciary is the worst threat America has faced in 400 years - worse than Nazi Germany, Japan and the Civil War - Robertson didn't back down.

"Yes, I really believe that," he said. "I think they are destroying the fabric that holds our nation together."

This kind of verbal stops political debate — cold. So Robertson now says our judges are in some ways worse than terrorists. Why? Because they don't rule the way HE wants. And Republicans (rightfully) complained about some of the verbal excesses of Michael Moore?

What happens to a tent when a skunk sprays in the tent? The tent smells. And some people leave the tent.

UPDATE: Mr. Robertson might want to read this editorial in the Toledo Blade sent to us by a reader (and we are sure it will not change his views one bit).

archangel said:
:eek:
Well I truly believe that the US Supreme Court Justices who are in bed with the ACLU could be classified as Terrorists...The remaining few,I believe, have gotten the message that the electorate are not" happy campers" :whip:

Sorry, I want Bush to be able to have his nominees get an up and down vote too, but this is over-the-top:

Robertson said:
"I think we have controlled Al Qaeda," the 700 Club host said, but warned of "erosion at home" and said judges were creating a "tyranny of oligarchy."

musicman said:
Interesting site. Interesting links. Interesting general direction.

Could "moderate " be a euphemism for "stealth Democrat"?

Really MM, there is ground between far right and far left...

Do you agree that the judges are more of a threat than bin Laden? If so, there is no doubt we ARE in a war we shouldn't be in-WOT.

Kathianne said:
Sorry, I want Bush to be able to have his nominees get an up and down vote too, but this is over-the-top:

It isn't the Republican tent being stinked up by Pat Robertson and his opinions of the judiciary. It's the activist judiciary itself that is stinking up America.

In the sense that they are destroying America and our U.S. Constitution with their irresponsible activist rulings they are worse than terrorists because they were specifically appointed and sworn to uphold the U.S. Constitution and yet they are tearing it apart before our very eyes and looking to "world law" for many of their rulings. This is inexcusable. The result is the same whether accomplished by terrorists or by activist judges: the defeat of America.

ScreamingEagle said:
It isn't the Republican tent being stinked up by Pat Robertson and his opinions of the judiciary. It's the activist judiciary itself that is stinking up America.

In the sense that they are destroying America and our U.S. Constitution with their irresponsible activist rulings they are worse than terrorists because they were specifically appointed and sworn to uphold the U.S. Constitution and yet they are tearing it apart before our very eyes and looking to "world law" for many of their rulings. This is inexcusable. The result is the same whether accomplished by terrorists or by activist judges: the defeat of America.

Sorry, while I agree that it's past time to reign in judicial power, the ability to do so needs to be addressed by the legislature in the correct manner. As Robertson said, it's been going on for 100 years or so.

If that is where the REAL problem lies, then call the military home and concentrate on domestic issues.

Kathianne said:
Really MM, there is ground between far right and far left...

How come I never see the left moving?

Kathianne said:
Do you agree that the judges are more of a threat than bin Laden?

Yes - absolutely. They rest in our very bosom; they operate within the framework of our Constitution, clandestinely - and wishing us ill. They are a clear and present danger to our way of life.

Kathianne said:
If so, there is no doubt we ARE in a war we shouldn't be in-WOT.

We are in SEVERAL wars. We battle enemies from without and enemies within. We must be brave; we must hold. The manner in which we conduct ourselves now will determine the fate of this nation.

musicman said:
How come I never see the left moving?

Yes - absolutely. They rest in our very bosom; they operate within the framework of our Constitution, clandestinely - and wishing us ill. They are a clear and present danger to our way of life.

We are in SEVERAL wars. We battle enemies from without and enemies within. We must be brave; we must hold. The manner in which we conduct ourselves now will determine the fate of this nation.

The wrong means to an end. Sorry but the right is going to implode, they are going to lose the votes of those that want tight borders, WOT to be focused on both hard and soft means, and keeping the deficit as under control as possible.

Kathianne said:
The wrong means to an end. Sorry but the right is going to implode, they are going to lose the votes of those that want tight borders, WOT to be focused on both hard and soft means, and keeping the deficit as under control as possible.

I'm as confused and angry as anybody over the Bush administration's immigration policy, and I'm hoping that he begins to heed the groundswell of popular opinion which is now sweeping across the country. We MUST secure our borders.

But if the right can't hold in the face of the hypocritical blandishments of "moderates" - who are - it is excruciatingly obvious - liberals in sheep's clothing - we will not save this nation.

Moreover, we won't deserve to.

musicman said:
I'm as confused and angry as anybody over the Bush administration's immigration policy, and I'm hoping that he begins to heed the groundswell of popular opinion which is now sweeping across the country. We MUST secure our borders.

But if the right can't hold in the face of the hypocritical blandishments of "moderates" - who are - it is excruciatingly obvious - liberals in sheep's clothing - we will not save this nation.

Moreover, we won't deserve to.

I'm unsure how the party can 'hold in the face...' when they will no longer be in the majority. They are not listening to the majority of voters that put them there. THE issue was WOT, not SS, not filibusters...

Kathianne said:

Your right about the Republicans needing to get their act together and start moving more to the right and deal with the immigration and overspending problems. Instead it seems that Bush has abandoned his base and is moving more to the left in some ways. :cuckoo:

Kathianne said:
I'm unsure how the party can 'hold in the face...' when they will no longer be in the majority. They are not listening to the majority of voters that put them there. THE issue was WOT, not SS, not filibusters...

Gotta go to work for a few hours, K - but let's pick this up again ASAP. It's getting interesting!

ScreamingEagle said:
Your right about the Republicans needing to get their act together and start moving more to the right and deal with the immigration and overspending problems. Instead it seems that Bush has abandoned his base and is moving more to the left in some ways. :cuckoo:

Personally I think GW had it right after 9/11, security suddenly became the #1 priority. I will admit that entering into September of '01, while I was in no way 'pining' for Al Gore, I WAS wishing for a President that didn't seem as committed as Bill Clinton to ignoring foreign affairs/dangers.

No, everything else cannot be dropped, but now it seems that with the world becoming more dangerous, he is reverting to becoming a 'domestic' president. I think he has reverted to his 9/10/01 mindset. As too, have many others, such as those agreeing that the judiciary is as large a threat as bin Laden-people have forgotten.

as the terrorists are they are nonetheless a threat to the future of this nation. The Supreme Court's recent decision against the death penalty being carried out against those criminals that acted while minors which reached for sources outside of the Constitution and US law was a horrid decision in an ongoing record of horrid decisions.. By allowing the court system to make decisions which the Congress should be making, abortion, gay marriage, religion in society, we are losing our democracy. In continuing to make decisions which run counter to Christianity and what was once our common sense of beliefs the courts are driving a wedge into our society.. That wedge is anti-democratic as it does not rely on any elected decision merely a whim of judges. This is no longer acceptable. I don't see these people on par with the terrorists however they are a threat to this nation and it's future if we are to remain one nation.

BR-549 said:
as the terrorists are they are nonetheless a threat to the future of this nation. The Supreme Court's recent decision against the death penalty being carried out against those criminals that acted while minors which reached for sources outside of the Constitution and US law was a horrid decision in an ongoing record of horrid decisions.. By allowing the court system to make decisions which the Congress should be making, abortion, gay marriage, religion in society, we are losing our democracy. In continuing to make decisions which run counter to Christianity and what was once our common sense of beliefs the courts are driving a wedge into our society.. That wedge is anti-democratic as it does not rely on any elected decision merely a whim of judges. This is no longer acceptable. I don't see these people on par with the terrorists however they are a threat to this nation and it's future if we are to remain one nation.

I would not disagree with your assessment. I do think the Congress needs to deal with the judiciary, with the President using the bullypulpit to make the problem clear to the American people. That's the way things are supposed to work here, not by judicial fiat or legislative fiat. The right is becoming as committed to the 'ends justifying the means' as the left.

I think we are living in times such that everything is important. I am also befuddled about why Bush isn't coming down firm on closing our borders at the same time I shudder to think that we have one opportunity to have some great justices put into position to help stop the judicial hemoraghing of our Consititution and some Republicans are now tip toeing thru the Tulips on this. The Republicans may not have this kind of power in 2006 so they better make best use of their time now so that there is some kind of good legacy after they leave office. I agree the wot is no 1 priority probably will be for many years, but we are also fighting a war within our own borders for the very soul of this country, we don't need terrorists to help us along with that. SS not an emergency but for all the criticism coming from the left on that Im not hearing any better solutions, in fact im not hearing anything constructive on anything the left complains about now or in the past.

Bonnie said:
I think we are living in times such that everything is important. I am also befuddled about why Bush isn't coming down firm on closing our borders at the same time I shudder to think that we have one opportunity to have some great justices put into position to help stop the judicial hemoraghing of our Consititution. The Republicans may not have this kind of power in 2006 so they better make best use of their time now so that there is some kind of good legacy after they leave office. I agree the wot is no 1 priority probably will be for many years, but we are also fighting a war within our own borders for the very soul of this country, we don't need terrorists to help us along with that. SS not an emergency but for all the criticism coming from the left on that Im not hearing any better solutions, in fact im not hearing anything constructive on anything the left complains about now or in the past.

Then the Right needs to sell their ideas, not through threats and the meanderings of someone like Robertson. They need to get the party on line, but instead are alienating those that agree with the principles but not the weird way they are doing things. The administration is loosing focus and catering to the extremes on both ends, deconstructing itself.

Kathianne said:
I would not disagree with your assessment. I do think the Congress needs to deal with the judiciary, with the President using the bullypulpit to make the problem clear to the American people. That's the way things are supposed to work here, not by judicial fiat or legislative fiat. The right is becoming as committed to the 'ends justifying the means' as the left.

right ( I'm conservative myself ) are so frustrated by what they see as an attack on their religious and political beliefs from all sides that they are losing sight of proper democratic methods of change.. The media and hollyweird just seem so hell bent on destroying Christianity and it's influence ( very positive except for the wack jobs, Koresh etc) as well as traditional Western values, that for some it appears that extreme measures are required. I just believe it requires a return to sanity and a solid boycott of the media and hollyweird (cut off their money train and see how quickly their productions will change) to get things back on track. Frankly it would scare me to death to have to raise children in this current climate of cultural sickness.

BR-549 said:
right ( I'm conservative myself ) are so frustrated by what they see as an attack on their religious and political beliefs from all sides that they are losing sight of proper democratic methods of change.. The media and hollyweird just seem so hell bent on destroying Christianity and it's influence ( very positive except for the wack jobs, Koresh etc) as well as traditional Western values, that for some it appears that extreme measures are required. I just believe it requires a return to sanity and a solid boycott of the media and hollyweird (cut off their money train and see how quickly their productions will change) to get things back on track. Frankly it would scare me to death to have to raise children in this current climate of cultural sickness.

:beer: I'm beginning to feel like the board liberal, which is a very weird place for me to be! :eek2:

Forum List

Back