As of today...

Comrade said:
I am now an FAA license private helicopter pilot.

The next black helicopter you see might just be flown by me!

:banana:

sure hope it is not "Blackhawk down"...better pay close attention to the shear pins in the tail rotor............ :halo:

Knave! You didn't come here to see me? Congrats! Really!!!

archangel said:
sure hope it is not "Blackhawk down"...better pay close attention to the shear pins in the tail rotor............ :halo:

No kidding... my examiner today is around 60 years old, and flew attack helicopters in Vietnam. That old boy had a LOT of stories. The first thing he asked me to do is open up the Federal Aviation Regulations and read a passage:

"Which one?" I ask.

"Any paragraph you find interesting."

"Er... okay..." And I proceed to read out loud the oxygen regulations.

He asks me what I found interesting about that part of the regulations.

"Well, it's actually kind of a dry read, I say, but its important to remember."

"You bet, he says. And there is something about the words on that page which is EXTREMELY important."

At this point I'm totally wondering where he is going with this, as he lets me go on about making more comments about the importance of oxygen at high altitude, but finally says...

"Well, those are good answers, but your still missing the most important part. It's the ink which was used to make these regulations. Becuase they were written in BLOOD. :shocked:

And so began my checkride.

Comrade said:
No kidding... my examiner today is around 60 years old, and flew attack helicopters in Vietnam. That old boy had a LOT of stories. The first thing he asked me to do is open up the Federal Aviation Regulations and read a passage:

"Which one?" I ask.

"Well, it's actually kind of a dry read, I say, but it seems important."

"You bet, he says. And there is something about the words on that page which is EXTREMELY important."

At this point I'm totally wondering where he is going with this, as he makes me go on about making more comments about the importance of oxygen at high altitude, but finally says...

"Well, those are good answers, but your still missing the most important part. It's the ink which was used to make these regulations. Becuase they were written in BLOOD. :shocked:

Well that had to leave you speechless. I'm sure something YOU are NOT used to. :shocked:

Kathianne said:
Well that had to leave you speechless. I'm sure something YOU are NOT used to. :shocked:

Everyone at the school pretty much has memories like that from him in their own checkrides. Like I said, he was a real character. And quite effective.

Comrade said:
Everyone at the school pretty much has memories like that from him in their own checkrides. Like I said, he was a real character. And quite effective.

Learn all you can. Might just save your life!

-=d=- said:
When can I drive down for a ride? :D

(i've NEVER said that to another man, btw...)

:D

Me first! I cannot drive down, since it would be 'up.' Nevertheless, me first!

Comrade said:
I am now an FAA license private helicopter pilot.

The next black helicopter you see might just be flown by me!

:banana:

very cool....now go buzz bully and gabby's homes

-=d=- said:
When can I drive down for a ride? :D

(i've NEVER said that to another man, btw...)

:D

Well, I've got about 90 hours of time left to put in before I get a commercial license, and much of the later parts will be where I need to PIC (pilot in command)... I've already offered free rides to my friends and family, since I need the solo time regardless. The big factor is weight... Anyone over about 180 would exceed the maximum gross weight between us (and I'm not fat, but I still weigh 215.)

:rotflmao:
Comrade said:

"Which one?" I ask.

"Well, it's actually kind of a dry read, I say, but its important to remember."

At this point I'm totally wondering where he is going with this, as he lets me go on about making more comments about the importance of oxygen at high altitude, but finally says...

Oxygen in a chopper...not really that important...thats why he probably jerked your chain! Ya probably will rarely fly above 10,000 feet anyway....
:rotflmao:

I am glad you mentioned Blackhawk Down. It's one of my favorite works of fiction.
Do feel free to buzz my house. I have a few ground-to-air missles that I haven't shipped to the enemy yet. :poke:

Gabriella84 said:
I am glad you mentioned Blackhawk Down. It's one of my favorite works of fiction.

Fiction? Gabby, are you hijacking my celebratory thread to say that the events in Somalia as depicted in the book are ficticious?

Do feel free to buzz my house. I have a few ground-to-air missles that I haven't shipped to the enemy yet. :poke:

No, the airspace up to 10,000 feet around your home has been declared off limits due to noxious vapours. :cow:

Forum List

Back