As if we have nothing better to do

Theres a northeastern community in Oklahoma that has been having serious illnessess and birth defects for years due to the environmental contamination of lead and arsenic mining. It would only cost an extra 4 or 5 million a year for about 5 years to totally clean this area, according to environmental groups, yet our glorious civil servants would rather spend 400 billion plus on a defense budget that is seriously over inflated and other countless millions on little pet projects and studies like this one.

what a disgusting use of our time and money.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Theres a northeastern community in Oklahoma that has been having serious illnessess and birth defects for years due to the environmental contamination of lead and arsenic mining. It would only cost an extra 4 or 5 million a year for about 5 years to totally clean this area, according to environmental groups, yet our glorious civil servants would rather spend 400 billion plus on a defense budget that is seriously over inflated and other countless millions on little pet projects and studies like this one.

what a disgusting use of our time and money.

We are also spending millions of dollars on art that no one wants to buy, courtesy of the NEA. Maybe we could look there for the $20-25 million instead? We are at war.

We are also spending millions of dollars on art that no one wants to buy, courtesy of the NEA. Maybe we could look there for the $20-25 million instead? We are at war.

I say trim the fat from ALL of the beast, not just the parts that some people don't like.

example, and don't think that this is just a one time thing, this happens, and still happens on a yearly basis...

In my 4th year in the USMC stationed at Cherry Point, NC my squadron was having brand new barracks buildings constructed. We were still living in the old ones and we were due to vacate them within 4 months. These old buildings were going to be torn down and removed. Now, with 4 months left to go, our commanding officers ordered us to remove and replace all the floorboard trim from the hallways and the rooms and then paint them all. With 5 buildings for our squadron and at 25,000 dollars a building to do all this, we spent 125k on crap that was going to be destroyed in less than 4 months just so our squadron wouldn't lose any money from their budget for the next year.

It makes me wonder, out of all the units and all the branches of service, just how much money is wasted because of this.

Yes, we are at war, but we NEED to be taking care of things for OUR people here in the states, especially if its a result of our own actions. Half of our tax money is budgeted towards the military and how much of that gets wasted like my experience above? Maybe there was something to clinton trying to cut the defense budget after all, eh?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth

Yes, we are at war, but we NEED to be taking care of things for OUR people here in the states, especially if its a result of our own actions. Half of our tax money is budgeted towards the military and how much of that gets wasted like my experience above? Maybe there was something to clinton trying to cut the defense budget after all, eh?

I agree that we need to take care of our own, perhaps by cutting back on foreign aid and hand outs. Somehow I doubt we spend half the tax money on the military.

The men have it easier in the big city because we just urinate in the streets when the urge hits us. :D

Look, folks!!!!! There is considerable money wasted in this country from every political angle. Why don't we get rid of the political angles and start voting for US the U and the S. We're in this worldgame together, aren't we?

Originally posted by Psychoblues
Look, folks!!!!! There is considerable money wasted in this country from every political angle. Why don't we get rid of the political angles and start voting for US the U and the S. We're in this worldgame together, aren't we?

Agreed. Tell that to the big boys in Washington though. Do you think they discussed ways to save money and proper spending at the "Hate Bush event"?

If they would work together the way they did for a few months after 9/11, this country would be much better off. Watching them sing 'God Bless America' as one solid group was a sight to behold.

This is the best part about Lieberman's statement
Lieberman's campaign officials said the senator will not define what junk food is, leaving that to dietary and health care experts.
He wants to start a Federal investigation on something he will not even define. :rolleyes: Dietary and health experts will have have a hard time defining it as well. They can consider processed sugar and fat grams in food, but it is all relative to one's diet and ratio of those types of foods consumed by a person. Does Lieberman want to investagate everyones diet?
Yeah, you are right Moi we have better things to do.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I re-read the article. Now all I can think is Junk Food Tax.
And don't forget your mandatory calesthenics. I mean, if we're into health only now, let's mandate exercise, outlaw alcohol, tobacco, junk food, cars (damn lazy people), public transportation (again the lazy thing), high heels (bunions, sprained ankles), short skirts (think of all those male whip lash sufferers)....

Agreed. Tell that to the big boys in Washington though. Do you think they discussed ways to save money and proper spending at the "Hate Bush event"?
If they would work together the way they did for a few months after 9/11, this country would be much better off. Watching them sing 'God Bless America' as one solid group was a sight to behold.

Singing together was nothing more than fear for their political lives, in my opinion anyway.

Unfortunately, we will never see our government 'work together' on money issues as long as its republicans vs democrats.

we need a hundred or so independents, true independents, to be hammering out the pork barrel when it comes to legislation and spending bills.

DKSuddeth, as long as the "us v them" ideology persists in this country we won't see that kind of ideology seriously persued. And you can take that either way you want to.

:clap: :clap:

That is EXACTLY what I think the problem with this country is today. People have forgotten the anger, the sadness, the true emotion that we ALL felt that day. I'm 30 - 35 minutes from the Flight 93 crash site, but even people in California were screaming "someone will PAY for this!!".

On September 11th, there were not Republicans, Democrats, Blacks, Whites... we were Americans... and pissed off at that. Give a little time, take down the ruins of the towers, clean up the Pentagon and the field in Pennsylvania, the memory fades. I, for one, refuse to allow myself to forget the emotion of that day...

Sorry for getting a tad off topic...

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
:clap: :clap:

That is EXACTLY what I think the problem with this country is today. People have forgotten the anger, the sadness, the true emotion that we ALL felt that day. I'm 30 - 35 minutes from the Flight 93 crash site, but even people in California were screaming "someone will PAY for this!!".

On September 11th, there were not Republicans, Democrats, Blacks, Whites... we were Americans... and pissed off at that. Give a little time, take down the ruins of the towers, clean up the Pentagon and the field in Pennsylvania, the memory fades. I, for one, refuse to allow myself to forget the emotion of that day...

Sorry for getting a tad off topic...
No apologies. The topic is why are we, as citizens, allowing our ruling bodies to waste like this...one of the answers many of us have given is that citizens are apathetic and many politicians are so afraid of losing power to do anything they trade too much away.

It is the fact that as intelligent human beings we can get past all the anger, sadness and true emotion that makes us a civilized nation. I think it is so sad that our politicals play on those emotions to lead us into unjustified national policy and into unjustified wars. Education is the key. Education is also the most feared by the politicals.

Forum List

Back