As disability awards grow, so do concerns with veracity of PTSD claims

Speaking of getting scammed, I have a question. Has anyone anywhere been scammed more than the Vietnam vet?
Consider the following-

1. Many of us were drafted and sent off to fight a war few of us were especially interested in. It should be noted that a person can be drafted but cannot be forced to fight if they refuse to do so. The worst that happened to the few that refused was a little jail time which was spent in high luxury compared to the poor slobs humping the boonies. But we were told it was our duty and that we were protecting the rights and freedoms of ourselves and those we loved.

2. Aside from the not-so-minor inconveniences of fighting a war we were exposed to the most deadly diseases known to man to include four kinds of malaria, two kinds of plague, leprosy, amoebic dysentery (you quite literally shit yourself to death-not a very glorious way to go), typhoid, typhus, cholera, and such delightful critters as tigers, rabid baboons, cobras and a batch of other highly lethal snakes too numerous to count, the American people made us a present of a wonderful chemical known as "agent orange" which is still killing us and our beloved children. "Better living through chemistry". Is a man who shits himself to death any less dead than one who dies in combat?

3. Earlier I stated that the VA has to acknowledge PTSD and assess severity. It is worth remembering that this is the same VA that denied that PTSD existed and claimed that agent orange never harmed anyone. How much death, pain, and heartache has resulted simply because the American people refused to make good on a rightful debt? Just who has been scamming who here? Do some vets play the system? Probably. But I am quite convinced that it is a tiny fraction of the number of dedicated civilians who do so (welfare, etc. cheats). And I am also convinced that it is a tiny fraction of the number of vets who have been cheated out of what was their rightful due. In short, I'm not very sympathetic to the whining.

The world has caught on to Dante, but what has been done about this?

August 3, 2014

The 49-year-old veteran explained that he suffered from paranoia in crowds, nightmares and unrelenting flashbacks from the Iraq war. He said he needed his handgun to feel secure and worried that he would shoot somebody.

The symptoms were textbook post-traumatic stress disorder.

But Robert Moering, the conducting the disability examination at a Veterans Affairs hospital in Tampa, Fla., suspected the veteran was exaggerating. Hardly anybody had so many symptoms of PTSD so much of the time.​

There is a Bigger issue here. If a Veteran has been seeing a VA
Psychiatrist for months and this Dr has diagnosed the Vet with PTSD. Why is there a need for a Vet to see a VA
psychologist.
The psychologist {is not a Dr.}, does not know the Veteran and spends 30 minutes talking to the Vet is not the way to properly evaluate a Vet.
The Psychiatrist knows the Vet and can better evaluate the Vet.
HIs evaluation and written statements is enough evidence for the VA to rate a claim. If more information is needed, VA Claims Personnel can contact the Psychiatrist. There is no need for a VA Psychologist to be part of the process.

The Vet should request Claims Benefits help from VA accredited Service Reps.
Their services are completely free.
These accredited Reps are provided by Veterans Service Organizations located at all VA Regional Offices.

8 years Director of County Veterans Service Agency and 7 1/2 years as a Deputy State Director of Veterans Affairs. Until I retired, I was an Accredited Service Rep. of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Marine Corps League and the NYS Division of Veterans Affairs.

So...the more symptoms they have the more likely they are to be faking?
Does that also mean that someone who denies any symptoms at all must be a real basket case?
Strange.

If they are Vietnam Era vets, that equals two strikes out of three
There is a big difference between those of who served in Vietnam (referred to as IN COUNTRY ) and those who did not. However, non In Country Vets deserve praise for their Military Service.

Disability awards have been DECLINING the last 4 years, from 1,052,551 a year in 2010 to 810,973 in 2014.

The Doctor's credential look impressive.

http://www.cavcbar.net/confpdf/Presenters Bios.pdf

In the past soldiers were altogether ignored for the trauma they experienced post military duty. The down side to a soldier faking or exagarating trauma is it takes away help and funding from those who are severely suffering.

War's psychic toll

In some ways, the explosion in PTSD cases is a sign of progress.

Though descriptions of the disorder show up in literature as far back as Shakespeare, it did not become a formal diagnosis until 1980, and even then remained controversial. After decades of downplaying the psychological toll of war,

the government has finally acknowledged the damage and boosted assistance to veterans in need.

What kind of compensation package would prevent soldiers who do not suffer from it to not to make up a story?
Even some veterans whose diagnosis falls under deep suspicion have managed to keep their disability ratings.

In one case that Moering reviewed in 2009, he searched military records and concluded that a Navy veteran on the disability rolls for PTSD had lied to VA clinicians about having served in the elite SEALs and concocted his combat history.

When a Veteran files a claim for PTSD the VA requests and receives a copy of their military records. A combat MOS, a Purple Heart, a Medal of Valor. (A Bronze Stare Medal without a Combat V is not a Medal of Valor).The ARMY Combat Infantry Badge, Combat Medic Badge,the Combat Action Ribbon USMC, NAVY and USCG.
All of the above prove the stressor for a PTSD Claim.

I can not believe you named actual people.

In the past soldiers were altogether ignored for the trauma they experienced post military duty. The down side to a soldier faking or exagarating trauma is it takes away help and funding from those who are severely suffering.

War's psychic toll

Though descriptions of the disorder show up in literature as far back as Shakespeare, it did not become a formal diagnosis until 1980, and even then remained controversial. After decades of downplaying the psychological toll of war, the government has finally acknowledged the damage and boosted assistance to veterans in need.

What kind of compensation package would prevent soldiers who do not suffer from it to not to make up a story?
Even some veterans whose diagnosis falls under deep suspicion have managed to keep their disability ratings.

In one case that Moering reviewed in 2009, he searched military records and concluded that a Navy veteran on the disability rolls for PTSD had lied to VA clinicians about having served in the elite SEALs and concocted his combat history.

August 3, 2014

The 49-year-old veteran explained that he suffered from paranoia in crowds, nightmares and unrelenting flashbacks from the Iraq war. He said he needed his handgun to feel secure and worried that he would shoot somebody.

But Robert Moering, the psychologist conducting the disability examination at a Veterans Affairs hospital in Tampa, Fla., suspected the veteran was exaggerating. Hardly anybody had so many symptoms of PTSD so much of the time.​
Many are educated guesses. It's almost impossible to know exactly what one feels or thinks. Basically, it's opinions and guess work. Mental disorders, or mental disabilities, are very difficult to determine under certain conditions. Some are obvious, while other are "iffy". War produces many side effects. War is hell. War is traumatic on the battlefield, and not easily forgotten once one leaves a combat zone. Sometimes, mental side effects lay dormant for years before surfacing and causing one to become disabled. Until an exact science to determine whether one is truly disabled as a result of war is developed, the guessing game will continue. It'll remain a judgment call and educated guess.[/QUOTE

Did Mr Moering seve in combat when he served in the USMC? He should have requested a copy of the Vets Records. The Vet's DD214's gives some good information: Combat MOS, a Medals of Valor( A Bronze Star with out a Combat is not a Medal of Valor), Purple Heart, Combat Infantry Badge or Combat Medic Badge issued by the US Army, Combat Action Ribbon issued by USMC, US Navy, or the USCG.
All of the above are evidence of a stressor.

August 3, 2014

But Robert Moering, the psychologist conducting the disability examination at a Veterans Affairs hospital in Tampa, Fla., suspected the veteran was exaggerating. Hardly anybody had so many symptoms of PTSD so much of the time.​

There is no reason a Psychologist should to be in the process for PTSD Claims.

The VA Psychiatrist who has been seeing a Vet for a number months is more qualified to provide better information for a PTSD Claim than a Psychologist who talks to a Vet for 30 minutes. There is the matter of trust that the Vet and the Psychiatrist developed. What Vet would trust a Psychologist he never met before?
I am not done!

War's psychic toll

Though descriptions of the disorder show up in literature as far back as Shakespeare, it did not become a formal diagnosis until 1980, and even then remained controversial. After decades of downplaying the psychological toll of war,

the government has finally acknowledged the damage and boosted assistance to veterans in need.

When a Veteran files a claim for PTSD the VA requests and receives a copy of their military records. A combat MOS, a Purple Heart, a Medal of Valor. (A Bronze Stare Medal without a Combat V is not a Medal of Valor).The ARMY Combat Infantry Badge, Combat Medic Badge,the Combat Action Ribbon USMC, NAVY and USCG.
All of the above prove the stressor for a PTSD Claim.

I can not believe you named actual people.

War's psychic toll

Though descriptions of the disorder show up in literature as far back as Shakespeare, it did not become a formal diagnosis until 1980, and even then remained controversial. After decades of downplaying the psychological toll of war, the government has finally acknowledged the damage and boosted assistance to veterans in need.

August 3, 2014

Many are educated guesses. It's almost impossible to know exactly what one feels or thinks. Basically, it's opinions and guess work. Mental disorders, or mental disabilities, are very difficult to determine under certain conditions. Some are obvious, while other are "iffy". War produces many side effects. War is hell. War is traumatic on the battlefield, and not easily forgotten once one leaves a combat zone. Sometimes, mental side effects lay dormant for years before surfacing and causing one to become disabled. Until an exact science to determine whether one is truly disabled as a result of war is developed, the guessing game will continue. It'll remain a judgment call and educated guess.[/QUOTE

Did Mr Moering seve in combat when he served in the USMC? He should have requested a copy of the Vets Records. The Vet's DD214's gives some good information: Combat MOS, a Medals of Valor( A Bronze Star with out a Combat is not a Medal of Valor), Purple Heart, Combat Infantry Badge or Combat Medic Badge issued by the US Army, Combat Action Ribbon issued by USMC, US Navy, or the USCG.
All of the above are evidence of a stressor.

I don't understand what you mean, I looked up the doctor who the article was quoting and talking about.

Is that wrong to do?

For some reason the administration has it rigged so that a former member of the Military doesn't even have to relate the alleged incident that allegedly caused the alleged trauma. As a matter of fact a freaking clerk who spent his/her tour pushing papers can file for PTSD compensation. The ironic thing is that the hypocrites who want to restrict legal possession of firearms for people without a criminal record or an admitted mental disability are against restricting PTSD patients from obtaining a firearm. If PTSD is a real issue at least show some respect for actual combat Veterans and restrict PTSD compensation to Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart.

For some reason the administration has it rigged so that a former member of the Military doesn't even have to relate the alleged incident that allegedly caused the alleged trauma. As a matter of fact a freaking clerk who spent his/her tour pushing papers can file for PTSD compensation. The ironic thing is that the hypocrites who want to restrict legal possession of firearms for people without a criminal record or an admitted mental disability are against restricting PTSD patients from obtaining a firearm. If PTSD is a real issue at least show some respect for actual combat Veterans and restrict PTSD compensation to Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart.

You have voiced such slanderous bullshit before and it is the same old lies as always. Read. Learn.

You have voiced such slanderous bullshit before and it is the same old lies as always. Read. Learn.
Hey doc, take your own advice. Read and learn. You don't get away with posting words like "slanderous bullshit" and pretending it's an argument.

I've got no problem with a young Vet trying to pick up a biker babe in a bar with some jive PTSD blather. My problem is when they pick my pocket with fake claims and PTSD pensions. You get nightmares? Welcome to the club. I had nightmares after I witnessed my first autopsy as a young Cop and the victim was a ten year old boy. You join up for it and you live with it if you have any pride.

"Hey doc, take your own advice. Read and learn. You don't get away with posting words like "slanderous bullshit" and pretending it's an argument."

I made, and make, no pretense of argument with your slander. We've been around this same bush before and you simply ignore truth (both then and earlier in this thread) rather than make any effort to refute it or argue the question. If you don't feel the need then neither do I. Again. You lie. And you should be ashamed of slandering those who have sacrificed to protect your sorry ass.

"Hey doc, take your own advice. Read and learn. You don't get away with posting words like "slanderous bullshit" and pretending it's an argument."

I made, and make, no pretense of argument with your slander. We've been around this same bush before and you simply ignore truth (both then and earlier in this thread) rather than make any effort to refute it or argue the question. If you don't feel the need then neither do I. Again. You lie. And you should be ashamed of slandering those who have sacrificed to protect your sorry ass.
Call it slander and then you don't have to take all that time to research and argue your point. Another PTSD symptom?

I say again:

You contradicted several posts in this thread without giving any evidence to support your argument. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you want to argue a point we will, but if you just make unsupported statements then don't expect more from me.

I say again:

You contradicted several posts in this thread without giving any evidence to support your argument. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you want to argue a point we will, but if you just make unsupported statements then don't expect more from me.
What evidence? The idiot who murdered the Navy Seal sniper is using PTSD as a defense. Nobody cares if Vets play the nut case PTSD role in a bar to pick up biker chicks, the problem is when they pick my taxpayer pocket for a pension. Here's a suggestion; only award a PTSD pension to Veterans with a Purple Heart and restrict gun purchases for Veterans who claim that they are so mentally ill that they require constant therapy a pension for their service.

New Topics

Forum List

Back