As Asia studies harder, U.S. says "more playtime"

Something to think about, we work harder, longer hours with less vacation time than any other industrialized nation.

They may not get as much playtime as kids, but they get a lot more playtime as adults.

Well actually Korea,Japan,and China work more annual hours then the US.

So as children and adults they work harder with less playtime.

FYI, Sunniman,

My website offers some illustrated books translated into Farsi and Persian and Bali Indonesian that your students might find useful while they're studying English.

Google up "childrens books online" and look for the site that calls itself the "Rosetta Project".

There's a whole selection of illustrated books translated into 33 different languages, some of them into the major languages spoken in the Islamic world.

The books in Farsi range from pre-reader though about Junior high level, so they might be a useful educational resource for your work.

Who knows? You might even learn some Farsi or Persian, eh?

I hear commercials on the radio for Rossetta Stone all the time and learning other languages...

Well actually Korea,Japan,and China work more annual hours then the US.

So as children and adults they work harder with less playtime.

vacation

Americans have the
shortest
vacation in the developed world

Legally mandated vacation days
Sweden 32 Portugal 25
Denmark 30 Netherlands 25
France 30 Belgium 24
Austria 30 Icelanders aged 19?-29 24
Spain 30 Norway 21
Ireland 28 Switzerland 20
Icelanders aged 30-40 27 Germany 18 [30*]
Japan 25 USA 16†

Also:

Working Less, And Not Upset; Japan's Slump Cracks Tradition of Long Hours - New York Times

Comparable American figures are hard to come by because of different calculation methods. Looking only at blue-collar manufacturing workers, the Labor Ministry estimated that Japanese employees put in 2,017 hours in 1992, compared with 1,957 for American workers. But by 1994, the Japanese figure had dropped to about 1,960 while American work hours, buoyed by a strong economy, had risen about 2.4 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the United States.

<<

I don't know about Korea and China, but trust me, I do know about Japan. I have many, many Japanese friends as I've been hosting students from Japan and teaching esl classes to them for many years.

Last edited:
America could probably accomplish the same if we were willing to literally kill off an entire generation and idealogy and brainwash all the youth to the fact that being obedient and productive was the greatest good.

Yeah, and totally isolate them from the world, thru internet censorship so we can be sure the braiwashing takes and takes good, raisem' up right, all complacent to gov't will...I see it, I see it now...:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back