As Americans, do you consider English a foreign language?

Are they separate languages yet? I would say no but since American English (through the widespread use of DVD’s and other media) is now English and British English has now been relegated to dialect or offshoot.

I disagree. When was the last time you were formally asked if you spoke "American English" to establish your first language? My guess is never.

American English, a corruption of the pure form, will always be the offshort in the scheme of things.

But look on the bright side. If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking French. Perish the thought, eh.

Uhh ... if it wasn't for us you would be speaking German!

Merriam-Webster?!

Come now, Ringel05. Quote me something from a source that has pages you can turn with your fingers. Not scroll with a mouse.

Honestly. Grunewald & Co would be turning in their graves if they knew what was unfolding on here.

English is only a foreign language to me when listening to a Scot.

American is to English what Yiddish is to German and Puerto Rican is to Spanish.

Sounds like you're excusing dereliction. Only joking. No, I understand that the native consensus is that through the passage of time the language you were originally blessed with has been adulterated to the extent that - to Americans - it no longer fits the sacrosanct description of, "Queens English".

That, however, doesn't answer my question.

What I asked, was, that as citizens of a country that gained independence several hundred years ago by cutting Royal and Parliamentary ties through warfare/mutiny; but holding onto the language of a nation you expelled, that as a consequence made the once parent nation foreign, do you consider English as a foreign language? Taking into consideration that the United States has no right to claim English - in the conventional sense - as a language that was seeded by persons not originating from the North American continent.

The same could be said for Italian. It's spoken by roughly five million Americans. But surely Americans regard Italian as a foreign language?

Summing up this post: Just because the majority of Americans communicate in English. That doesn't mean they can call the the language that was imported to America, and as a consequence of military victories over other European powers, became the official de facto means of communication amongst the powers that be, their own. Thus making it a foreign language in the United States.

Phew! Allow me to take a breath/sit on my hands.

Last edited:
Merriam-Webster?!

Come now, Ringel05. Quote me something from a source that has pages you can turn with your fingers. Not scroll with a mouse.

Honestly. Grunewald & Co would be turning in their graves if they knew what was unfolding on here.
You have a problem with the origins of the English language? :eusa_eh:
Don't shoot the messenger.......

Really what we speak is American not English. One day the schools will have American classes instead of English classes. It should have happened long ago and maybe Congress will take the lead in this. I think that is a good idea for the Republicans to campaign for. Change the name of our language from English to American!

Having been married to a Brit, I can attest to the fact that there is a difference between American English and the Queen's English. Enough of a difference to call it "ours." What was once inherited has evolved. Part of that evolution stems from the diverse populace of this nation as well as the variances in language found in it's regional differences.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/You-Speak-American-Robert-MacNeil/dp/0385511981]Amazon.com: Do You Speak American? (9780385511988): Robert MacNeil, William Cran: Books[/ame]

Forum List

Back