As Americans, do you consider English a foreign language?

Blagger

Rookie
Sep 8, 2010
Under your skin.
Well, do you?

Taking into consideration that as a nation, you've inherited the language and literature of an overseas power you are now independent from.

Having been married to a Brit, I can attest to the fact that there is a difference between American English and the Queen's English. Enough of a difference to call it "ours." What was once inherited has evolved. Part of that evolution stems from the diverse populace of this nation as well as the variances in language found in it's regional differences.

Last edited:
Well, do you?

Taking into consideration that as a nation, you've inherited the language and literature of an overseas power you are now independent from.

And how about all of the Spanish speakers?

• Banned
Having been married to a Brit, I can attest to the fact that there is a difference between American English and the Queen's English. Enough of a difference to call it "ours." What was once inherited has evolved. Part of that evolution stems from the diverse populace of this nation as well as the variances in language found in it's regional differences.

An interesting analysis, hjmick. But I don't think that enough of a distinction exists to say it has "evolved". I'd say 'diluted' is a more accurate evaluation.

Wouldn't you?

• Banned

Are you asking whether or not they consider Spanish as a foreign language. Or are you asking if they consider English a foreign language?

With regards to the latter, I'd say they consider English a foreign language. Seeing as it was bestowed upon North America by the British.

An interesting analysis, hjmick. But I don't think that enough of a distinction exists to say it has "evolved". I'd say 'diluted' is a more accurate evaluation.

Wouldn't you?

I understand your point, but I think that all of the influences American English has had, German, Spanish, African, French, Polish, hell... pick a language, something of all of those languages has made it into American English in some form or another. Each historic wave of immigration has contributed to the language of the U.S. That strikes me as evolving more than diluting. But that's just me.

• Banned
Yes, but adulterated or not, by its very essence it is still recognised as native to Britain. Thus making it a foreign language. Even if it's the mother tongue to citizens of a country who declared and attained independence from the languages' conventional origin over 200 years ago.

And before anyone asks: No, I am not bitter about the United States no longer being crown territory.

Well, perhaps just a tiny bit.

Last edited:

We are two nations divided by a common language. I find that very true.... Living in Britain, and writing for British publications, I find I have to be able to swap between the two... sometimes I forget which is which. :lol:

Well, do you?

Forget the Latinos...English is a foreign language in most allegedly English speaking parts of big cities. :lol:

American English differs from region to region, not as much as it did in the early 1900's before technology (TV and Radio) brought all the dialects and regional differences into every ones homes. Today, American English is assimilating the American Spanish of the Hispanics. Comprende amigo? So American English continues every day to distance itself from the British English.

Are they separate languages yet? I would say no but since American English (through the widespread use of DVD’s and other media) is now English and British English has now been relegated to dialect or offshoot.

Are they separate languages yet? I would say no but since American English (through the widespread use of DVD’s and other media) is now English and British English has now been relegated to dialect or offshoot.

I disagree. When was the last time you were formally asked if you spoke "American English" to establish your first language? My guess is never.

American English, a corruption of the pure form, will always be the offshort in the scheme of things.

But look on the bright side. If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking French. Perish the thought, eh.

No, as an American speaker, I consider English a primative language spoken by a quaint people who live in a formerly important nation.

I want to thank the English for giving us a language to improve upon, though.

You guys did your best, but we Americans understood that your best just wasn't good enough.

Well, do you?

Perhaps you should ask this question of some so called Brits. Seems to me half of them wouldn't know how to speak correct English if they tried!

No, as an American speaker, I consider English a primative language spoken by a quaint people who live in a formerly important nation.

I want to thank the English for giving us a language to improve upon, though.

You guys did your best, but we Americans understood that your best just wasn't good enough.

Former colonial master, surely?

Yup, in the the same manner I consider the Queens English.

Eft he axode, hu ðære ðeode nama wære þe hi of comon. Him wæs geandwyrd, þæt hi Angle genemnode wæron. Þa cwæð he, "Rihtlice hi sind Angle gehatene, for ðan ðe hi engla wlite habbað, and swilcum gedafenað þæt hi on heofonum engla geferan beon."

Forum List

Back