As a self-described moderate, my honest opinion on Paul Ryan...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
I don't think Ryan is going to save Romney's flailing campaign. I don't think the Republican establishment expects him to. Romney is pretty much the Republican's John Kerry. I suspect Obama will win this election and Ryan will run in 2016, and possibly win. I called it during the 2004 DNC. I saw Obama speak and thought "They will run this guy in 2008 and win."

While I disagree on Paul Ryan on many things I think he really believes in what he says. Romney has been on both sides of so many issues that it is almost impossible for him to debate Obama. I don't mind Biden but he will probably be destroyed in a debate with Paul Ryan. At least he has been consistent in his beliefs, whether you agree with him or not. Paul Ryan seems about as genuine as politicians get (aside from Ron Paul), but he is not saving this campaign. He will almost definitely run in 2016 and almost defintely win.

In you infinite wisdom haven't you seen Obama "modify" his positions based on polling results?

Can you elaborate? I'm honestly not sure what your post has to do with the topic. Obama was against gay marriage before he was for gay marriage. Obama was against the Patriot Act before he was for it. I could go on and on about the things Obama has changed his position on. This thread wasn't in defense of Obama or Romney. If anything it was in favor of Ryan, and I don't even like the guy.

EDIT: And he hasn't "modified" his positions, he has "evolved". :p

Last edited:
In you infinite wisdom haven't you seen Obama "modify" his positions based on polling results?

Can you elaborate? I'm honestly not sure what your post has to do with the topic. Obama was against gay marriage before he was for gay marriage. Obama was against the Patriot Act before he was for it. I could go on and on about the things Obama has changed his position on. This thread wasn't in defense of Obama or Romney. If anything it was in favor of Ryan, and I don't even like the guy.

My point is that Obama doesn't do or say anything until he checks the polling data to help him decide.

My point is that Obama doesn't do or say anything until he checks the polling data to help him decide.

And when he doesnt, he says the dumbest things

You are absolutely correct, but in my opinion Romney has no room to talk as far as that goes. That is why I believe Romney will be destroyed in the debates while Ryan stands a chance of changing the minds of moderates/independants. Both have been on both sides of so many issues that it is hard for either to claim the high ground on anything. The Romney/Obama debates will be a joke. The Ryan/Biden debates will be interesting.

You are absolutely correct, but in my opinion Romney has no room to talk as far as that goes. That is why I believe Romney will be destroyed in the debates while Ryan stands a chance of changing the minds of moderates/independants. Both have been on both sides of so many issues that it is hard for either to claim the high ground on anything. The Romney/Obama debates will be a joke. The Ryan/Biden debates will be interesting.

Obama won't have a telepromptor. Romney will hold his own and he has improved steadily in the primaries. By the time the debates come up most will have made up their minds if they haven't already.

Just a guy feeling but I don't think many "Independents" are going to break for Obama. History shows most Independents break for the challenger.

Some people are just obsessed with Obama. All threads must have an Obama reference! ALL of them!

I agree. I don't start many topics, but this one was supposed to be based on the positive/negative qualities of Paul Ryan. I bring up Biden because he is also a VP pick. Somehow we have already gotten into Obama/Romney. They are both the same person so I have no interest in discussing them.

Some people are just obsessed with Obama. All threads must have an Obama reference! ALL of them!

im sure during the bush years it was the same and i still see hate threads and comments on palin. So your point? if you are tired of the hate, better cut ties with the left or start drinking it and wrapping yourself in it.

I don't think Ryan is going to save Romney's flailing campaign.

What makes you think Romney's campaign is or was flailing? He's not the most exciting guy and has his flaws as a candidate just like any other politician. And like any other republican, the media would try to destroy him at every available second of the day. But the polling, our best but still ultimately meaningless form of gauging the race, showed Romney not too far behind Obama.

I don't think Ryan is going to save Romney's flailing campaign. I don't think the Republican establishment expects him to. Romney is pretty much the Republican's John Kerry. I suspect Obama will win this election and Ryan will run in 2016, and possibly win. I called it during the 2004 DNC. I saw Obama speak and thought "They will run this guy in 2008 and win."

While I disagree on Paul Ryan on many things I think he really believes in what he says. Romney has been on both sides of so many issues that it is almost impossible for him to debate Obama. I don't mind Biden but he will probably be destroyed in a debate with Paul Ryan. At least he has been consistent in his beliefs, whether you agree with him or not. Paul Ryan seems about as genuine as politicians get (aside from Ron Paul), but he is not saving this campaign. He will almost definitely run in 2016 and almost defintely win.

ir ryan really believed what he says, wouldn't he want to do away with his mother's benefits and just say 'well ma, this is what i believe'?

Just a guy feeling but I don't think many "Independents" are going to break for Obama. History shows most Independents break for the challenger.

I have to disagree. Obama has turned off alot of independents, but Romney has managed to turn off every side. While Obama has "evolved" on certain issues Romney has been been on both sides of almost everything. The "anybody but Romney" primaries were proof that there is very little enthusiasm among conservatives to vote for him. He needs a real conservative VP to stand a chance and he knows it. Obama probably does have this election wrapped up, but at least Paul Ryan stands a chance in 2016.

The "anybody but Romney" primaries were proof that there is very little enthusiasm among conservatives to vote for him.

Yep. The primaries sure showed that the republicans didn't want him. Otherwise, he would have been nominated.

Wait.

Forum List

Back