As a kid, what's the dumbest thing you did?

Wasn't when I was a kid, but rather as a young adult on my first cruise overseas with the Navy.

Well, a couple of us were running around Naples one night, and it was during their election season and we heard some people having a rally. Well, we also saw there were several communist flags around the area, so my friends and I decided to see if we could steal one.

We got the flag down, but as soon as we were on the ground, we were spotted by some of the rally goers who saw us with the flag. Ended up running through the streets of Naples for the next 15 min. or so trying to outrun them.

After we got back to the ship, we had a lottery to see who got to keep the flag.

Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done, because those Italians were PISSED, and if they had caught us, it would have been bad.,
that was a Med Cruise? I was in Naples early 1987

I did my first tour on a combat stores ship based out of Norfolk from 1983 until 1987 and did a couple of Med cruises on it. Remember the "hey Joe's" just outside the pier gate?

Oh................another stupid thing I did while in Naples. A friend of mine told me that if I wanted an E ticket ride through the streets, offer to give a cabdriver a 10 dollar American tip if he can get you from the pier to AB South in less than 20 min. Dude will break every speed limit and run a whole bunch of lights to get that tip.
I remember some American themed bar in Naples nearby...I'll never remember the name
I think it had hamburger's ?? a bunch of my unit was there

I remember in South America I was pretty drunk..we went back to the ship, to get more $$ or something, then we took off in a cab---this other cab pulls up next to ours as it is driving and the driver is yelling in Spanish.....
my Spanish speaking friend said that I didn't pay that other driver...I got low in the cab and just said ''go go go'' ......hahahaha

We went to Rio de Janerio when we went on UNITAS XXV. I remember several things about that particular port visit, namely a place called the Night and Day club, and another one named Harry's or something like that.

I also remember that there were live sex shows in those bars, and if you paid them, you could participate in the sex shows and do it on stage.

There was a LT who was doing the sex show thing, and halfway through his time with the woman, the CO and XO walked into the bar. They got a beer, saw him, drank their beer and left. The next day the LT was restricted to the ship and when we got back to the States, he was told to resign his commission.

I was kinda bummed when the LT was told to go home. He was one of the better Division Officers that we had.
1984?

I did some dumb shit when I was younger. lol

Launching bottle rockets from an overpass was one of my dumber moments with friends. We were timing them to blow up in front of unsuspecting drivers.

Launching bottle rockets from an overpass was one of my dumber moments with friends. We were timing them to blow up in front of unsuspecting drivers.
we made bottle rocket ''guns'' from tent poles and shot them at a neighbors house

7th grade with a wild friend of mine we did 5000 dollars in damage to construction equipment. Someone called the cops and we ran on foot through the neighborhood and actually lost the cops. But the person who called saw us enter a friends house to change clothes. The cops questioned the parents of our friend and found out our identity. Busted later when we got home.
Needless to say parents were pissed and we spent entire summer doing chores to make up the cost of damage. Parents had to foot the bill so company wouldn't press charges.

One thing I remembered when I was in 7th grade I was pretty acrobatic and used to do all kinds of fake wrecks on my bike. My and this other guy used to go out on the main drag at night and when a car would come I'd side swipe him and throw myself over the handle bars with the bike landing on top of me. Cars would always stop and see if we were ok and stuff. We had a blast until a doctor stopped and called me out.

Dumbest thing: it still gives me the willies.

I had a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend in HS. Guys were constantly hitting on her, and although she was "faithful" to me, she would occasionally give other guys some encouragement. Drove me crazy.

Well, one guy was chasing her and his biggest asset was a beautiful brand new '68 mustang fastback - bright red. He offered her a ride home from school one day (it was a 5 minute walk), and she accepted. I "happened to be" in the area driving my dad's sorry old Chevy sedan, and came up behind them when he stopped in front of her house to drop her off. It was a narrow street with parking on both sides.

Well, I aimed up the small space between the stopped car and the parked cars on the other side of the street - there was maybe a foot clearance on either side of my car - and I flew threw that tight opening at, I don't know, 40 mph? It COULD HAVE BEEN A CATASTROPHE if she had opened the door. She didn't.

Nothing was ever said about it, and we continued dating for several months after that - until she wised up.

2 or even 3 lives could have been totally fucked up by my reckless act that day.

Fuck. It still makes me shiver.

Which is why when I hear about a teenager fucking things up with his reckless driving, I tend to be a little bit more understanding than most. Boys are idiots, genetically speaking, when it comes to things with motors.

When I was 5 and shopping with my mom, I saw a tag on a mattress that said "do not remove under penalty of law".

I removed it.

Thinking of the potential consequences still sends shivers up my spine.

At the age of 12 ran up and down Caton Farm Rd. Bare ass naked!

Got a lot of dates after that!

we made bottle rocket ''guns'' from tent poles and shot them at a neighbors house

we shot them at each other

then it escalated to roman candles

we shot them at each other

then it escalated to roman candles
Actually sounds a little fun. :rolleyes:
Of course someone usually has to ruin fun by getting hurt. Party poopers.

Last edited:
true, a couple of third degrees burns and everybody's all fire marshal bob
Reminds me when we were shooting bottle rockets down the street and watching them skip on the pavement.
Right as one reached the end of the block an elderly lady came around the corner on her bike and it blew right in front of her bike.:oops-28:
She did a quick u-turn. Glad she didn't take it in the face.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I consider this a smart thing...and boy was my Mother pissed when I told the story at a family reunion.

I used to sneak out of the house and go to my buddies and call home.
When my Mom answered I'd say....I got it,I got it!!! Mom would follow up with "Tell whoever it is not to call so late!!!!"

my dad was coach of a little league team, so we had sodas for after the games
one time we got into a soda fight--BAM--I had to get stitches

As far as stupid things?
I did so many stupid things it's hard to decide which was the dumbest.

This one comes to mind....
Me and a buddy broke into our Jr High school and let loose with every fire extinguisher we could find.
Of course we ended up getting caught and we spent the next month cleaning the entire school after hours.

good thread
believe it or not I cut the live TV cord and I remember sparks shooting out
I barely remember this--but I remember sparks--
I asked my brother if he remembered it and he said yes
I don't know how I didn't get shocked

you probably did

i stuck a fork in an electrical outlet once, same deal

this isn't even top 100 for me though :lol:

I did it with a paperclip...still have a line that runs down the middle of my left thumb.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
true, a couple of third degrees burns and everybody's all fire marshal bob
Reminds me when we were shooting bottle rockets down the street and watching them skip on the pavement.
Right as one reached the end of the block an elderly lady came around the corner on her bike and it blew right in front of her bike.:oops-28:
She did a quick u-turn. Glad she didn't take it in the face.
...that remind's me of one time I had a bucket of water and was trying to throw it on my brother's etc
well, I don't know how I did it, but this frail old man was slowly walking by and I got him!
my mom ran out with a towel and was trying to dry him off--as he kept slowly walking

Hitch hiked with a girlfriend....we are lucky to be alive....had a guardian angel for sure! :eek:

And, drinking and driving or rather...driving in a car with people who were the drunk drivers....

My hubby and I do not know how we survived, (our single years together) without killing ourselves or killing others....we still wonder, 30 years later... :(

Forum List

Back