As a Conservative, I have no issue with Sotomayor

MatthewAycock

Matthew Ay****
May 6, 2009
Dallas, TX
As everyone here, I have been watching the Senatorial review of the nominated Sotomayor. It's, as always, a way for our Senators to grandstand and take up valuable camera time to express their simpleton views followed by a 3 second question.

Yes, she is clearly a racist. There can really be no argument here.

Instead, I look at her as Souter's replacement. In judging the record between them, it is clear that we will not have a considerable difference in outcome with cases before our highest court. Unfortunately, our Senators understand this and do not want to press the issues.

Had I have had the opportunity to present a question, I would have pushed a response on this one:

"Justice Sotomayor, your statements are firm. You find yourself a superior judge to Kennedy, Stevens, Roberts, Scalia, Souter, Breyer and Alito; but I am curious if you are also superior to Ginsburg and Thomas?"

If you need to grandstand, at least do it right Senators!

• Thanks
Reactions: del
The Republicans will be better off in the long run by going along with Sotomayor now and saving themselves in the event there is another appointment in the future. Sotomayor will not effect the Court in it's current configuration, but should a conservative judge die or retire, they're going to need everything they've got to block the next prospective Justice. The devil you know and all that.

My only real concern is the number of cases she has had overturned by the Supreme Court. Maybe she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer...

As everyone here, I have been watching the Senatorial review of the nominated Sotomayor. It's, as always, a way for our Senators to grandstand and take up valuable camera time to express their simpleton views followed by a 3 second question.

Instead, I look at her as Souter's replacement. In judging the record between them, it is clear that we will not have a considerable difference in outcome with cases before our highest court. Unfortunately, our Senators understand this and do not want to press the issues.

Had I have had the opportunity to present a question, I would have pushed a response on this one:

"Justice Sotomayor, your statements are firm. You find yourself a superior judge to Kennedy, Stevens, Roberts, Scalia, Souter, Breyer and Alito; but I am curious if you are also superior to Ginsburg and Thomas?"

As a conservative, I have several major problems with her. But alas, she will be confirmed.

My only real concern is the number of cases she has had overturned by the Supreme Court. Maybe she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer...
her overturn rate is lower than the average
SCOTUS on average overturns about 75%

at least thats what i have read

As a conservative, I have several major problems with her. But alas, she will be confirmed.

what he said ^^

Here's the GOP's position:

parker.jpg

When you consider just how many cases she's actually listened to over her span as a judge (something like 16 years and nearly 400 cases, don't know exact numbers and honestly am just too lazy right now to look them up) her overturn rate is really not that high. Of the many cases she's heard (close to 400) only 7 have actually made it to the SCOTUS. When you think about it that's a pretty good average really. Since those cases were rejected or couldn't make it up to the SCOTUS level you could consider them as being in agreement with the High Court simply by default. Of the 7 cases that made to the SCOTUS 5 were overturned but as DiveCon said, overturning cases is what the SCOTUS does the majority of the time so she's really not that out of sync with the rest of the judges around the country whose cases climb up the court ladder.

Oh and even being a conservative I find people harping on her record with the SCOTUS to be highly disingenuous when they've really listened to so very few of her cases. I don't like her, I don't like her politics but, like Matthew already said, she's really not upsetting the balance of the court and she's a lot more qualified (in her experience of at least having been a Federal judge before) than many candidates are when they're first nominated.

Yep. If you put the very best spin on the whole deal, its a push. The SCOTUS will not change any at all.

A loss for the American people, but a "best we can do" for the Democrat party.

In the end, the SCOTUS will continue to be an embarrassment to the American people in that they will not rule based upon the strict interpretation of the Constitution and the desires of our Founders and the men and women who sacrifice to free us from the tyranny of a centralized government.

Forum List

Back