Arturo "Thunder" Gatti 1972-2009

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
One of my favorite fighters of my generation was allegedly murdered by his girlfriend while at a resort in Brazil this weekend. I'd like to get away from all the rumors and talks about the possible similarities between this incident and the murder of Stever McNair last weekend and celebrate Arturo for what he did in the ring.

Aside from being a former Lightweight champion of the world, Gatti gained a reputation for being a "blood and guts" fighter. This is something that followed him throughout his career and won over almost everybody who had the priviledge to see him fight. You knew that when he was fighting you were going to see something special. The dude was a modern day Rocky. Legend has is that Gatti's eyes would begin to swell up on the walk to the ring ... that he'd be bleeding for the ring introductions. He was just gearing up for war.

And wars were what he was known for. Four times Gatti's fights won Ring Magazine's Fight of the Year. Four times. From his earlier fight with Gabriel Ruelas to his two wars with Ivan Robinson all the way to his epic Trilogy with "Irish" Mickey Ward. Four times in those series of fights the most respected boxing publication recognized Gatti for being part of the best fight in a year. Nobody who witnessed any of these fights could ever forget the back and forth drama filled and action packed fights that Gatti and his opponents produced.

Even if you are the most casual boxing fan out there and you haven't seen these fights take the time to watch them. I'm sure they will be on ESPN throughout the week.

Take the time see what it means for fighter to have a heart.

Gatti wore his on his sleeve.

RIP

30boxing.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZvr0Bl_uPs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZvr0Bl_uPs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Forum List

Back