Article claims 19% of US high school graduates are illiterate.

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
People are constantly saying the US needs more educational funding. Here is an article claiming that 19% of high school graduates can't read. What kind of a school would graduate a student who could not read? I've found a few article like this spreading obvious lies. The Education Industrial Complex is always clamoring for more money.

15 US Literacy Rate and Illiteracy Statistics

People are constantly saying the US needs more educational funding. Here is an article claiming that 19% of high school graduates can't read. What kind of a school would graduate a student who could not read? I've found a few article like this spreading obvious lies. The Education Industrial Complex is always clamoring for more money.

19% means we've improved A LOT.

Just read this board. Does it look like anywhere near 89% of the posters here are literate?

I can believe this. Many high schools WILL push students, especially athletes, to graduation, despite them being functionally illiterate. Just listen to MANY of our high profile athletes speak. They are unable to string together an intelligible sentence. So 19% is very believable. Very few younger people read these days. Just tragic.

Los Angeles it’s about 50%

Los Angeles it’s about 50%
I can believe that. And I would bet a LOT of these students speak and read only Spanish. Sad.

I can believe this. Many high schools WILL push students, especially athletes, to graduation, despite them being functionally illiterate. Just listen to MANY of our high profile athletes speak. They are unable to string together an intelligible sentence. So 19% is very believable. Very few younger people read these days. Just tragic.
I believe this too, for I have at least one family member who fell into the athletic group of people.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Just read this board. Does it look like anywhere near 89% of the posters here are literate?
Or do math.

(89%+19%=108%)

California had required passing a high school exit exam in order to graduate, but had to abandon it because so many student couldn't pass it.

The State also has a teachers exam (CBEST) which tests competency at the 9th grade level. It had to be watered down because so many teachers couldn't pass it.

Or do math.

(89%+19%=108%)

Yanno, 1s and 9s look a lot alike :th_booboo:

19% is awfully low. It has to be well over 50%. Not only can they not read, they can't write their own names nor do the simplest arithmetic. I know that math is racist, but still.....

Or do math.

(89%+19%=108%)

Yanno, 1s and 9s look a lot alike :th_booboo:
I'm just messin' witja.

Besides, math is hard. Barbie says so.

So I'm wondering how these figures are ascertained. Is there a test? What about immigrants from shit-hole countries? Are they counted? What if they are literate in Spanish or some other language, but not English? How is this accounted for?

If 19% of HS grads are illiterate, what about adults who never graduated? What percentage of the GenPop is literate?

What percentage of the illiterates vote? Is this a matter of concern?

Most high school systems are two tier.

The upper academic tier, which is usually a quality education and the lower tier designed just to graduate numbers. Someone can easily graduate being illiterate from that lower tier.

Whites dominate the upper tier and Blacks and Hispanics dominate the lower tier.

That lower tier was created by the stupid confused Liberals to graduate minorities after desegregation. If they had continued with a quality system like most of the White school systems had prior to desegregation very few minorities would have graduated. That would has been unacceptable to the filthy confused Liberals.

Throwing money at education will never produce quality education. Before the Federal government created a Department of Education the US was number one in the world. Now with billions and billions of dollars being spent by the Federal government we are like 20th. Another example of Liberal big government failure.

that is how Democrat Voters are created

Forum List

Back