Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by freedombecki, Jul 13, 2011.

1. beautress

beautress The best things in life aren't things Art Buchwald Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    The good news: Finished a top night before last. It has multicolor dots in the sashing area, blue butterfly border, and every 9-patch is different.
    The bad news: No camera, no photographic talent, and consequently, not even a bad picture of a reasonably good quilt that took quite a lot of time. People do such
    cute things with turkeys. I did one, too, but forgot who I gave it to, might have been the church, I'm just not sure.

2. beautress

beautress The best things in life aren't things Art Buchwald Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Worked a week on this one. It's light squares with red sashing from some Waverly red and white print from Wally World. :) I have so much fabric, I'm determined to work harder on completing future quilts of all kinds, whether personal or charitable. I have 3 or 4 tops sitting around the house, undelivered. One of them is going to my son's family sooner or later. The Post Office opens Monday, and I really need to be there when they open to deliver. ;) I don't know how to make my copier work yet. It's wireless, and I have this huge mental block about electronics. <giggle> (Although it's not very funny.) I buried the instructions, probably. Before this computer, all you had to do was take the plug in, put it where it fit, push a couple of buttons, done. All these waves in the air, I don't know what to do. I hope they don't have deleterious effects on bone marrow or something. What I can't see worries me, like germs, for example.

3. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Worked on 40 blocks today. I think I will try to make 2 tiny blankets and quilt them, just for fun. I really love the way the light squares worked out, though. I may just have to start over and work on light squares. Today's were a mixture of light and dark. That takes a different approach altogether than monochromatic solid log cabin squares (which are totally fun) and totally chromatic light squares highlighted with a really pretty color wheel shade like the red color wheel sashed one above. The red centers just added a special touch to the red frames, and the multiple-colored light strips placed randomly was challenging and fun. The work included visualizing large and small textures, an occasional solid light color, and shades from pure white along a continuum of shades from white to almost medium lights. It's fun to use a light woven plaid now and then or piece of gingham that comes across as pale, but a subtle contrast in texture to a large, albeit pale, floral, small or large. Some of the pieces are geometric or striped, others can be fur, leaves, grass, 30's lights (most are on a white background or very pale shade of almost any color, too numerous to mention in a page here. We have star prints, paw prints, small and large butterflies, pointilist's pallet, dots of every size and type, field flowers or dainty quatrefoil geometric flowers that can form garlands, wreaths, used as dots, attached to plants going one-way, two-way, scattered, intervals, in lines, diagonally, tossed and even more ways to arrange flowers on a two dimensional surface. Some can be divided showing petals or furry centers, arranged in shapes such as clamshells, windowpanes, on vines. Just whatever thousands of artists can come up with, that's what shows up in our quilter's stashes from time to time, until the last bit of it is used up as appliques, pieced works, crazy quilts, changed by heat-applied Crayola wax, fabric pens or paints, threadpainting as embroidery applied by hand or machine in every imaginable way.

Too much lecture, too little time in front of the sewing machine. The joy of quilting is in the diversity, planning or serendipity of an idea that takes shape in so many ways. Someday I'll find that how-to on the printer and start showing blocks again like I used to. I probably ought to go to the local college and see what is offered in computer training for artists, seniors, etc. Any suggestions from some who stumbles past this thread are welcome. I'll try and show diversity as practiced by various techniques shared online.

4. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Here's an idea you could use to just play with quilt fabrics (or similar weight) for ornaments:

Follow tab by pressing "you tube" and in a separate tab.
    video is about 24-25 minutes.

This folded fabric art uses an egg-shaped styro and forms a pinecone:
    Video takes about 15 minutes

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018 at 4:28 PM
  5. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Alison's bag by a UK artist: Alison's bag

[​IMG]

How to make the hexagon at you tube):

6. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Robin's mini thread catcher instructions: gift for favorite quilter :)
    Follow to youtube.
    :

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018 at 5:28 PM
  7. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2018-11-18_17-38-7.jpeg [​IMG]

Pin cushion thread catcher (good gift)

Follow video below to you tube.

8. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Too Cute Tabletop Christmas tree
    From Christmas fabrics (leftovers will do) Make Christmas tree! :)
    Just need a styro cone.

This no sew quilted fabric christmas tree is easy and is made for beginners. It makes the perfect christmas decor project. I'm sure you will love this DIY craft as much as I did. Homemade christmas gifts are the perfect give to give this holiday season!

Sizing / Finished Measurements:
    12 inch X 5 inch

Materials:
    scissors
    rotary cutter
    2.5 inch X 2.5 inch squares of fabric (127 total squares)
    7.5 inch X 2.5 inch squares of fabric (3 total strips)
    flat head straight pins (270 total)
    Styrofoam cone (12 inch X 5 inch)

You Will Also Need:
    ribbion or buttons or any type of garnish you would like to add for a topper to your tree.

~ Or use ribbons ~
    She even tells you how to make the cone underneath from cardboard, etc.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018 at 6:06 PM
  9. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Folded Star hot pads, Amish (solid fabric) style:

10. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    New attitude Folded Stars