Art: The Pity Bazaar (Consumerism Heresy)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Art represents the human expression of deep thoughts. Art may be shared or even sold/marketed. Art is an achievement of both private creativity and public praise.

It's challenging to define art except to say that if an artist intends a creative-work to be artistic then that work can be construed/appreciated as 'art.' Otherwise, if the intention is mischief/hostility, then the work is probably simply sarcasm or graffiti.

Art should invite us into the mind of the artist and the worlds or objects/ideas they are presenting/re-presenting.

Since art is essentially a private experience, it's challenging to be an art critic, since you don't want to make an error in judgment and pass by an artist who is truly gifted and allow him/her to go unrecognized (e.g., Van Gogh).

Therefore, art requires a great deal of compassion and even empathy/pity, since we firstly want to praise the process of creativity itself, before jumping to the hype of the 'celebrity' or 'glory' of fame in the art market.

Since we live in a consumerism world where commodities are assets, how can we 'pity' the artist struggling to balance private joy with public salesmanship? What if an artist is simply not good at sharing/selling art? These considerations are vital for our consumerism-centric world, especially if we want to market/elevate religion-themed artworks such as Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel painting.

ras9.jpg

====

As the vile fascist eco-terrorist Ra's al Ghul prepared to make a pirate-radio broadcast in Gotham City after he had placed a graffiti-rendition of a Picasso work in the Gotham subway station walls, he decided that the modern city was too commerce-obsessed to deserve true pity/compassion regarding the 'complexity' of creativity/art in the new age capitalism 'bazaar.'

"My name is Ra's al Ghul. I've placed a graffiti-translation of a Picasso painting in the Gotham subway station walls so that the city's masked urban vigilante, the capitalism-defender we know as 'Batman', will appreciate why consumerism has 'sullied' art and creativity. No one cares about craftsmanship in this age of Burger King and Amazon.com. It's all convenience and popcorn. I challenge Batman to provide evidence that Gotham is worthy of redemption!"

Batman heard this radio-broadcast and was alarmed, since he understood Ra's al Ghul's terrifying rage against the modern urban commercial arena's seeming 'neglect' of creativity and craftsmanship in favour of consumerism-conveniences. Batman agreed that the conveniences of new age consumerism (e.g., eTrade, eBay, eSurance) had 'sullied' the appreciation/praise of the creative process, but he also knew that if he did not retort to Ra's al Ghul's angry defiance, the eco-terrorist would do something dangerous/violent against the city. So Batman decided to send a retort-message to the Gotham Gazette which was published.

"As Batman, I'm so proud of what this city has accomplished. We have a fine library, a good zoo, a handsome bank and town hall, a decent public school system, and a committed police commissioner and Christian church on Main Street. However, I'm also conscious of what Ra's al Ghul suggested about the 'indulgences' of modern capitalism/consumerism which 'sully' our basic appreciation and praise of creativity and art. That's why I'd like to retort by claiming that Ra's al Ghul's Picasso painting-rendition in the Gotham subway walls should remind us all that creativity itself is sentimental...and never political! Gothamites should praise law-enforcement, contract historianship, and supreme civics compassion rather than punishment-oriented hatred. God bless,"

====

ras10.jpg

Forum List

Back