Art is Pigs Too

I say leave it up, but publicize the group(s) that hate cops that support the message of the painting.

Eric Bolling, a Fox news commentator, apparently brought this to the media's attention on Dec. 30. A couple nights ago on The Five, he offered to buy the painting from the kid if it comes down.
Doubt he'll sell, but that was damned White of Bolling.

The painting celebrates free speech and expression. These freedoms are what the US id built upon.

upload_2017-1-14_23-22-48.jpeg

I want to have it be required that my painting of twenty year olds sculpting play doh and crayoning coloring books for their graduate studies be posted in the entrance of every college union hall.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Last edited:
There are the many many paintings hanging on the wall of the long tunnel that runs between the US Capital building and the House offices. One of them has gotten quite a bit of attention lately. Indeed, the painting has been taken off the wall and hung back on the wall at least three times since yesterday.

th

So annoyed about it, “ Louisiana Democratic Rep. Cedric Richmond, the chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, threatened the Republicans who have been taking the painting down: “We may just have to kick somebody’s ass and stop them.”[…]

Never mind that kicking ass over a painting depicting violence is sadly ironic. Let’s talk about art and free speech and this painting. The painting, which won first prize in a high school art contest, contains many images: a dove, a crow, a Beauty Shop, a peace sign, the St Louis arch, to name a few. There is a lot of symbolism to consider in this painting.

The images that stand out to the people complaining about the painting are the police officers with pig heads. Not subtle. No wonder it grabs the eye. What also grabs the eye in this painting is a figure, a black man holding scales and wearing a graduation cap, suggestive of Mike Brown, hanging like Christ on a cross.

The painting has apparently been hanging on the tunnel wall for some six months. Why no one has noticed it and complained till now is unclear. What is clear is that we need to talk about art and free speech- again. People are offended because depicting police officers with pig heads is disrespectful to police officers. Is that a good enough reason to take the painting down? Surely there are other paintings on that wall full of paintings that disrespect somebody or something else too. Suppose there was a picture depicting cops with halos and Mike Brown with devil horns, that would be pretty offensive, wouldn’t it? Would there be demands to take that one down? Or would free speech in art prevail?

Even if it infuriates some people it is still free speech. Remember Piss Christ? That crucifix immersed in a glass of urine offered as art offended and outraged many Christians. Did discussions that flowed from Piss Christ do anything to enhance the relationship between Christians and those that think Christ belongs in urine?

Can any good come from talking about Ferguson again? Will cops and blacks come to understand each other better through the images in this teenager’s painting? Maybe. And maybe Morgan Freeman was right when he said, we can stop racism if we stop talking about it and deal with each other as fellow human beings.

Let the kid’s painting hang there.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cops-as-pigs-painting-stolen-returned-again/article/2611376

How do we stop racism? Actor Morgan Freeman says: "Stop talking about it"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

th

Painting in Capitol depicting police as pigs becomes a political football, with California politicians among the players
I am an artist, I have drawing of a blind deaf and dumb monkey with his hands up, with a knife in his back I call it "Black on black crime, or political correctness". Nobody wants to see it.

The painting celebrates free speech and expression. These freedoms are what the US id built upon.

I can agree with that. As are 100+ year old statues displayed in public places throughout the country that are busily being removed...in many cases by the same folks vigorously to-the-point-of-threatening-violence insisting that the painting must stay. So let the painting stay - as well as the statues. Problem solved.

the painting violates the rules

it is officially coming down

whether the Fuck the Police (D) democrats

like it or not

I can agree with that. As are 100+ year old statues displayed in public places throughout the country that are busily being removed...in many cases by the same folks vigorously to-the-point-of-threatening-violence insisting that the painting must stay. So let the painting stay - as well as the statues. Problem solved.

--LOL

actually the supporters of keeping it hanging on the wall

attempted to use the cops to force it back on the wall

--LOL

Free speech isn't a ticket to having your work displayed on public property. It is NOT a free speech issue. The left uses the term loosely to define and protect anything they want. Publicly owned includes people that don't want to see your stupid shit and they have rights too.

I don't mind the painting as much as I mind the problem that produced it. The indoctrination of another generation of young blacks to get them killed for assaulting police officers, and instilling in them an idea they have the right to assault, attack, kill, or destroy or take anything they wish to.

Free speech isn't a ticket to having your work displayed on public property. It is NOT a free speech issue. The left uses the term loosely to define and protect anything they want. Publicly owned includes people that don't want to see your stupid shit and they have rights too.
I agree, it is just a guaranty that your speech will not be censored in public places in this context.

Funny how the left cries freedom of speech when that speech offends others. Again, free speech with the left is selective. The media and left failed this issue during the Charlie Hebdo attack in France. Most media outlets wouldn't publish picture of Mohammed and some even suggested that attack was warranted since picture was offensive. The whole art and media world will sidestep any imagery that Islam finds offensive, but everyone else is fair game.

e[/QUOTE iceweasel]It says no such thing. Feedom of speech doesn't guarantee the right to be heard.[/QUOTE]

...or to be seen. Though it does guarantee the right to be uncensored by the federal government. (mostly) However - in this case, those using the 'freedom of speech' argument to defend an offensive-to-some painting hanging in a public place should be challenged to apply the same argument against the removal of General Robert E. Lee from Lee Circle in New Orleans to changing the name of Old Dixie Highway to President Barack Obama Highway in Riviera Bch.

Because all the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over accusations of 'whiteness' we allow hypocrisy to thrive.

Correct it is just a guaranty that your speech will not be censored in public places.
It says no such thing. Feedom of speech doesn't guarantee the right to be heard.
The right say what you need to..the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint....:slap:
There's no right to cry fire in a crowded theater. Your rights stop where the other guy's begins.

Forum List

Back