Arrival?

Parts of it were fantastic. 8.5/10 for the Sci-Fi elements, but overall a 6 because of the pointless emotional scenes. I say it's worth watching.

I just watched the trailer on YouTube and it's certified fresh on rotten tomatoes.

I just ordered it from the public library website. I'm the 243rd hold on 65 copies at the nearest branch, so it's a popular video. I figure they'll have it ready to pick up in a couple of weeks or so.

I loved it - and the emotional parts gave it more meaning that if it were just a squiggly alien laser shoot em up flick.

I loved it - and the emotional parts gave it more meaning that if it were just a squiggly alien laser shoot em up flick.
Yeah there's probably plenty of merit to that. I'm a guy, you're a girl. :dunno:

Worth watching regardless.

Even though there were some holes in it, I mostly liked it. I've always been interested in the limitations of language and it touched on the very thing I find to be difficult.

Remembering the story about Helen Keller being taught to sign by Anne Sullivan. The scene is at the well where Keller is demanding a drink and Sullivan wants her to use a word to ask for it.

You see the sudden understanding of the word "water" but really, Sullivan could have been signing "cup" or "wet" or "pump". If one does not have something in common as a starting point, its the same with learning and foreign language.

The limitations in learning a language from another planet would be astronomical. (oh, how punny)

Anyway, its a cut above most of the schlock on TV and movies.

Interesting and very likely accurate that the earthlings chose to hold on to their hatred of other humans rather than choose life and safety for the entire planet.

Thanks for the input.

Parts of it were fantastic. 8.5/10 for the Sci-Fi elements, but overall a 6 because of the pointless emotional scenes. I say it's worth watching.

The pointless emotional scenes aren't pointless, they're there at first to make you think one thing, then make you think something else, then get tied up at the end. The end is emotional and not well done, I have to say that, they should have made it finish better.

I actually enjoyed it. Was it the greatest film I've seen in this style? No. But it got me thinking for a little bit. Once you figure out what is going on some of the suspense evaporates.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Forum List

Back