Arpaio in trouble for abusing Latinos

The Justice Department began its civil-rights investigation of the Sheriff's Office in 2008 under Republican President George W. Bush. The investigation was publicly disclosed in March 2009.

The probe was stalled for 18 months after sheriff's officials refused to turn over records to investigators and provide access to facilities and staff.

Federal officials filed suit against Arpaio in September 2010, claiming the Sheriff's Office was violating federal law by refusing to cooperate with the investigation. The county's legal costs, mostly to represent the Sheriff's Office in that fight, are approaching $1million.

"We wasted more than two years," Perez said, noting that Arpaio's refusal to cooperate was the "exception to the rule." Since the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he said, the Justice Department only sued once before, in 1978, to gain access to public records and staff and inmate interviews.

Arpaio: Inquiry is motivated by politics, hampers enforcement

Who's responsible for the timing?
Link that the investigation started under Bush? Obamaturd is the one that doesn't want sheriff Joe to do his job.

I have sort of a different take on Sheriff Joe and yes, I also live in Maricopa County. First unless Sheriff Joe gets ousted from office then that will not keep him from geing re-elected. He has strong support in areas of the city like Sun City, Mesa, etc. That said it would seem to me our Sheriff spends way too much time on issues that he has no business with that are way outside his jurisdiction. Arizona is deep in debt and has a huge housing crisis and all this civil litigation and investigations brought on by Sheriff Joe and our Gov. do not help our states budget. When Peoria has to lay off over 500 teachers and our state is spending millions of dollars defending itself on issues that are clearly brought on as a result of legislation and enforcement actions outside the business of the state as well aas Sheriff Joe that is very hard to justify. His and the MSCO's recent admission of having messed up or clearly ignored several sex crimes investigations points to the fact that his office is deeply in need of a professional police officer and not someone who spends more time on talk shows and worrying about enforcing laws outside Maricopa County. While I would not go so far as to call him personally a racist I would rather say that he is not a very good law enforcement officer and as such his actions tend to call attention to that.

I live in Mesa and I agree with you 100%. This mess with the child sex abuse cases is just wrong and then to have the county attorney state that just because we have 432 cases of possilbe police misconduct doesn't mean that it's a concerted pattern of neglect, is just plain stupid. Remember when people said Russell Pearce would easily win his recall?

Holder should be out of a JOB. but we know his good buddy Obama won't fire him.

And this is payback for Joe questioning the Obama's eligibility to be President.

This is the kind of administration you all want to live under?

The Justice Department began its civil-rights investigation of the Sheriff's Office in 2008 under Republican President George W. Bush. The investigation was publicly disclosed in March 2009.

The probe was stalled for 18 months after sheriff's officials refused to turn over records to investigators and provide access to facilities and staff.

Federal officials filed suit against Arpaio in September 2010, claiming the Sheriff's Office was violating federal law by refusing to cooperate with the investigation. The county's legal costs, mostly to represent the Sheriff's Office in that fight, are approaching $1million.

"We wasted more than two years," Perez said, noting that Arpaio's refusal to cooperate was the "exception to the rule." Since the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he said, the Justice Department only sued once before, in 1978, to gain access to public records and staff and inmate interviews.

Link that the investigation started under Bush? Obamaturd is the one that doesn't want sheriff Joe to do his job.

I did. It was in my link, that you didn't read.

Despite Arpaio's claim that the Obama administration is targeting his agency, former U.S. Attorney for Arizona Paul Charlton, a Republican, pointed out that the investigation began under a fellow conservative.

"This began under a Republican administration and continued under a Democratic administration, and who knows what the next administration will be?" Charlton said. "It's not a partisan issue, it's a constitutional issue. My hope is that law-enforcement officials will see it that way."

this man is accused by hundereds of Latinos of abusing them.

why do you just claim all these latinos are not telling the truth?

:banghead: and if you ever spent a day in Arizona you would know that people who are black, white, yellow, red, green, blue, orange, and purple all experience the same things and make the same complaints and accusations.....they just don't make the fucking papers because it blows the liberal argument against a racist Arpaio to hell when it's pointed out that white people get the same shitty treatment. Jesus Christ on a string!

I spent good time in Arizona in my Alice Cooper days. Loved every minute of that great state even being back years later.

Arpaio is just a great cop. You bet the shit heads from Fast and Furious are going to try to peg shit on him.

Axelrod is the one who is driving this shit.

If this man is found guilty of these crimes they will defend him.

How very sad and moraless the right in this country has become

Holder should be out of a JOB. but we know his good buddy Obama won't fire him.

And this is payback for Joe questioning the Obama's eligibility to be President.

This is the kind of administration you all want to live under?

So the Bush Administration started this investigation in June 2008, because Joe would question Obama's eligibility to be President in 2011?

:banghead: and if you ever spent a day in Arizona you would know that people who are black, white, yellow, red, green, blue, orange, and purple all experience the same things and make the same complaints and accusations.....they just don't make the fucking papers because it blows the liberal argument against a racist Arpaio to hell when it's pointed out that white people get the same shitty treatment. Jesus Christ on a string!

I spent good time in Arizona in my Alice Cooper days. Loved every minute of that great state even being back years later.

Arpaio is just a great cop. You bet the shit heads from Fast and Furious are going to try to peg shit on him.

Axlerod is just one more lefty idiot tool.

They will allow child molestors to go free to protect this man?

How can anyone be this horrible?

Axelrod got Bush to start this investigation in June 2008?

Despite Arpaio's claim that the Obama administration is targeting his agency, former U.S. Attorney for Arizona Paul Charlton, a Republican, pointed out that the investigation began under a fellow conservative.

"This began under a Republican administration and continued under a Democratic administration, and who knows what the next administration will be?" Charlton said. "It's not a partisan issue, it's a constitutional issue. My hope is that law-enforcement officials will see it that way."

Republicans out of Arizona., Conservatives hell no.

Goldwater and his wife backed Maggie Sanger. All I need to know.

They will allow child molestors to go free to protect this man?

How can anyone be this horrible?

I've been to the grocery. Come Home. Put away groceries. and,,,, had lunch,, now have you been a moron non stop or did you take a break?

:lol::lol::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

they dont care about any of the American citizens who filed these charges?

They are brown so they must be lying?

Is that the rights stance?

Okay, I read it. Still the point is sheriff Joe is doing the Job the feds aren't. I would appoint Joe as USAG!

I have sort of a different take on Sheriff Joe and yes, I also live in Maricopa County. First unless Sheriff Joe gets ousted from office then that will not keep him from geing re-elected. He has strong support in areas of the city like Sun City, Mesa, etc. That said it would seem to me our Sheriff spends way too much time on issues that he has no business with that are way outside his jurisdiction. Arizona is deep in debt and has a huge housing crisis and all this civil litigation and investigations brought on by Sheriff Joe and our Gov. do not help our states budget. When Peoria has to lay off over 500 teachers and our state is spending millions of dollars defending itself on issues that are clearly brought on as a result of legislation and enforcement actions outside the business of the state as well aas Sheriff Joe that is very hard to justify. His and the MSCO's recent admission of having messed up or clearly ignored several sex crimes investigations points to the fact that his office is deeply in need of a professional police officer and not someone who spends more time on talk shows and worrying about enforcing laws outside Maricopa County. While I would not go so far as to call him personally a racist I would rather say that he is not a very good law enforcement officer and as such his actions tend to call attention to that.

I live in Mesa and I agree with you 100%. This mess with the child sex abuse cases is just wrong and then to have the county attorney state that just because we have 432 cases of possilbe police misconduct doesn't mean that it's a concerted pattern of neglect, is just plain stupid. Remember when people said Russell Pearce would easily win his recall?

There has been a lot of talk around here lately , the feeling I get is that residents here a little tired of all the negative attention and the sheer number of office holders both locally and nationally from our state that have brought negative attention to Arizona. Pearce deserved to lose, he treated his office like he was annointed to it and his actions have cost the state a lot in terms of money lost and negative attention . Our state is last in education or near the bottom, close to the top in home foreclosure, deep in debt, and here we stand in the national spotlight as a result of the actions of many elected officials trying to legislate or enforce things they were clearly NOT given license to do. Our state needs many things and absent Senators who could care less about Arizona, a Gov. that is tied up in the Supreme Court, a Sheriff tied up in investigation, does not help.

There are many nice people in Arizona.

Those nice people need to put an end to the control of the state by people who dont like Brown Americans

and if you ever spent a day in Arizona you would know that people who are black, white, yellow, red, green, blue, orange, and purple all experience the same things and make the same complaints and accusations.....they just don't make the fucking papers because it blows the liberal argument against a racist Arpaio to hell when it's pointed out that white people get the same shitty treatment. Jesus Christ on a string!

Nonsense.

That non-Hispanics were subject to the same abuse doesn’t mitigate that abuse, nor the fact that the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office acted in an un-Constitutional manner:

The not-unexpected Justice Department report said investigators documented discriminatory policing practices including unlawful stops, detentions and arrests of Hispanics; unlawful retaliation against people exercising their First Amendment right to criticize the agency’s policies or practices, including its discriminatory treatment of Hispanics; and discriminatory jail practices against inmates with limited English proficiency by punishing them and denying them critical services.

Mr. Perez said investigators found a number of “long-standing and entrenched systemic deficiencies” that caused or contributed to patterns of unlawful conduct, including a failure to implement policies guiding deputies on lawful policing practices; allowing specialized units to engage in unconstitutional practices; inadequate training and supervision; an ineffective disciplinary, oversight and accountability system; and a lack of sufficient external oversight and accountability.

In addition, he said, the investigation documented the use of excessive force; police practices that have the effect of significantly compromising the agency’s ability to adequately protect Hispanic residents; and a failure to adequately investigate sexual-abuse cases involving illegal-immigrant victims and perpetrators.

While no formal findings of pattern or practice violations have been made, Mr. Perez said, the investigation remains ongoing. He added that the accusations were brought after Civil Division investigators “peeled the onion to its core.”

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office’s “systematic disregard for basic constitutional protections has created a wall of distrust between the sheriff's office and large segments of the community, which dramatically compromises the ability to protect and serve the people,” he said. “The problems are deeply rooted in [the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office] culture, and are compounded by MCSO’s penchant for retaliation against individuals who speak out.”

Justice Department: Arizona Sheriff Arpaio violated federal law - Washington Times

The above are documented facts of evidence, not speculation or opinion.

Forum List

Back