Army soldier kills 5 of his fellow soldiers.......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
You know......I'm kinda surprised (especially since there are so many military people on this board) that this story hasn't been brought up yet........

SHERMAN, Texas - The father of a U.S. soldier accused of killing five fellow troops in Iraq said his son "forfeited his life" but the military bears some responsibility for the rampage.

Wilburn Russell said Tuesday that 44-year-old Army Sgt. John M. Russell wasn't typically a violent person, but counselors "broke" him before gunfire erupted in a military stress center Monday in Baghdad.

"John has forfeited his life. Apparently, he said (to his wife), 'My life is over. To hell with it. I'm going to get even with 'em,'" said the elder Russell, 73.

His father said the younger Russell, an electronics technician, was at the stress center to transfer out of active duty. He said his son was undergoing stressful mental tests that he didn't understand were merely tests, "so they broke him."

"I hate what that boy did," said the elder Russell, speaking in front of the two-story house his son was buying with his German wife in a new subdivision. "We're sorry for the families, too. It shouldn't have happened."

Excerpts of his military record, obtained by The Associated Press, show Sgt. Russell previously did two one-year tours of duty in Iraq, one starting in April 2003 and another in November 2005. The stress of repeat and extended tours is considered a main contributor to mental health problems among troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sgt. Russell, who is facing charges of murder and aggravated assault, was about six weeks from the end of his third tour of duty in Iraq, his father said. Wilburn Russell said his son e-mailed his wife in Germany early this month, telling her officers threatened him during what he called the two worst days of his life.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30678715/

Now, considering the fact that there were a lot of people over in 'Nam who smoked pot, as well as the fact that there are no piss tests in a war zone, I'm wondering.......

Think 1 joint in every MRE would help the soldiers with the stress?

Last edited:
Yeah........I understand........

But, what do you think about the idea of putting 1 pin joint/MRE?

Personally? I think it would help out a lot.

You know......I'm kinda surprised (especially since there are so many military people on this board) that this story hasn't been brought up yet........

SHERMAN, Texas - The father of a U.S. soldier accused of killing five fellow troops in Iraq said his son "forfeited his life" but the military bears some responsibility for the rampage.

Wilburn Russell said Tuesday that 44-year-old Army Sgt. John M. Russell wasn't typically a violent person, but counselors "broke" him before gunfire erupted in a military stress center Monday in Baghdad.

"John has forfeited his life. Apparently, he said (to his wife), 'My life is over. To hell with it. I'm going to get even with 'em,'" said the elder Russell, 73.

His father said the younger Russell, an electronics technician, was at the stress center to transfer out of active duty. He said his son was undergoing stressful mental tests that he didn't understand were merely tests, "so they broke him."

"I hate what that boy did," said the elder Russell, speaking in front of the two-story house his son was buying with his German wife in a new subdivision. "We're sorry for the families, too. It shouldn't have happened."

Excerpts of his military record, obtained by The Associated Press, show Sgt. Russell previously did two one-year tours of duty in Iraq, one starting in April 2003 and another in November 2005. The stress of repeat and extended tours is considered a main contributor to mental health problems among troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sgt. Russell, who is facing charges of murder and aggravated assault, was about six weeks from the end of his third tour of duty in Iraq, his father said. Wilburn Russell said his son e-mailed his wife in Germany early this month, telling her officers threatened him during what he called the two worst days of his life.

Father: Army 'broke' soldier held in killings - Conflict in Iraq- msnbc.com

Now, considering the fact that there were a lot of people over in 'Nam who smoked pot, as well as the fact that there are no piss tests in a war zone, I'm wondering.......

Considering the number of times they are reposting our military to Iraq, I'm surprised things like this don't happen more often. There is a reason why they limited tours of duty in Nam.

Yep. But the Chimp in Charge, Butt Boy Bush Jr. decided to ignore history.

Too bad his father didn't teach him better.

It's tragic.. to say the least... read all about it

Frankly I did not post it because we do have some weirdo posters on here who would either politicize it or put some unneeded jabs at the military...
you are probably right!
I do think they need to be monitoring these soldiers and their mental well being alittle closer but that is all I am going to say.
It is very tragic and it is easy to say it could have been prevented after the fact.

Yeah........I understand........

But, what do you think about the idea of putting 1 pin joint/MRE?

Personally? I think it would help out a lot.

Personally.. I do not think recreational drugs or alcohol are any help in this area, in reality...

Yeah.. I blew off lots of steam with Jim Beam and Bud.. but it never really did help the deeper problems behind and the stress was still there when you sobered up

no joints in mri's.....need the reflexes etc...cant be stone kicking shit for the hell of it....

i read it....what is there to say...i keep saying the armed forces lowering entrance exams in one of the main reason but this man was not new....at 44 ...he knew the game....you either bang out at 4....or try your best to do 20...

i do hope "they" are not trying to break people but then remember the story of the recruiters and all...sgt i am not saying anything negative about a man/woman wearing an american or allied uniform....i am just saying we have to explore the reasons shit happens...even when we already know...shit just happens....the fates and muses were not kind

This sort of thing really isn't surprising. Training people to go against their instinct not to kill, and repeatedly sending them into hostile areas where they have to kill and their friends are being killed would take a toll on anybody's psyche. It's why the suicide rate in the military is so high, often outstripping combat deaths. This situation is a tragedy for all involved.

I have a brother in Iraq right now, and will say nothing against our soldiers over there, who are doing their best in a bad situation.

We should probably reevaluate our procedures on dealing with stress in the military. Maybe this guy would have snapped eventually regardless, but it's also possible that this pushed him beyond his limits.

His father said the younger Russell, an electronics technician, was at the stress center to transfer out of active duty. He said his son was undergoing stressful mental tests that he didn't understand were merely tests, "so they broke him

Does anyone know what kind of "stressful mental tests" they do in a "stress center"?

I'm just curious.

Does anyone know what kind of "stressful mental tests" they do in a "stress center"?

I'm just curious.

I imagine it's things like people shouting at you for no apparent reason, demanding things from you, accusing you of things, etc.

I saw the dad on CNN... I don't know what to say... war fucks people up. My bro called me yesterday and told me a guy he knew committed suicide. I can only imagine what it must be like there. I don't think I'd crack, but who can say?

No.

No.
why not? I am a very stressful job not saying that it compares to what they are going through but I have to deal with people acting like complete assholes all day and being complete retards and pot helps out quite a bit and it is cheaper than xanax.

Okay then, don't put 'em in the MRE's, but have them over at the psych centers where the soldiers can be monitored and sent back after they are finished being stoned.

Seriously.......it helps a lot with stress. And, the effects last for a maximum of 6-10 hours. Easiest way to sober up quick? Eat some sugar.

Forum List

Back