Army files challenge to Vegas Golden Knights name

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Army files challenge over Vegas Golden Knights' name

The Department of the Army filed a formal opposition on Wednesday with the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office against the Vegas Golden Knights' ownership group, Black Knight Sports and Entertainment, for using a similar team name — "the Golden Knights" — and a similar color pattern.

Army's athletic teams go by the Black Knights, while the U.S. Army Parachute Team goes by the Golden Knights.

On Thursday, the NHL team released a statement "strongly disputing" the complaint, that read, in part: "We are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game."

Put them in their place

This is what I got for the Army team's logo:
US-Army-parachute-team-Golden-Knights-200x200.jpg

Here's the NHL team's logo:
Golden-Knights_NHL_Logo_2017.jpg

I don't know the specifics of the trademark law, so I have no idea if the Army has a good case.

It is not like sports teams never have the same name

Cardinals, Giants, Rangers......fans do not appear to be confused

The Department of the Army filed a formal opposition on Wednesday with the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office against the Vegas Golden Knights' ownership group, Black Knight Sports and Entertainment, for using a similar team name — "the Golden Knights" — and a similar color pattern.

Army's athletic teams go by the Black Knights, while the U.S. Army Parachute Team goes by the Golden Knights.

On Thursday, the NHL team released a statement "strongly disputing" the complaint, that read, in part: "We are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game."

Put them in their place

Said General M.T. Brain "we'll have the enemy thinking we're parachuting in with hockey sticks and a puck". "You tell me what terrorist is going to fear a hat trick? Or goal tending?"

As far as lawsuits go, I don't get this one.

Now if Doctor Scholl came out with a new insole named the Golden Arches, well then I could see cause for a lawsuit there.
If Trojan began marketing "The Whopper", there too.
And beware MiraLax, don't you dare start using "zoom, zoom" as a handle for your constipation medicine.

As far as lawsuits go, I don't get this one.

Now if Doctor Scholl came out with a new insole named the Golden Arches, well then I could see cause for a lawsuit there.
If Trojan began marketing "The Whopper", there too.
And beware MiraLax, don't you dare start using "zoom, zoom" as a handle for your constipation medicine.

The Army needs all the publicity they can get

It is not like sports teams never have the same name

Cardinals, Giants, Rangers......fans do not appear to be confused

yet for some reason the World Wildlife Federation won a case against the World Wrestling Federation.

s-l1000.jpg

Put them in their place
About damned time!

Forum List

Back