Army Considering Combat Chewing Gum

theim

May 11, 2004
Madison, WI
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/11/army.gum.ap/index.html

Army considering combat chewing gum
Scientists working to make gum fight bacteria, keep flavor

Friday, November 11, 2005; Posted: 9:56 p.m. EST (02:56 GMT)

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Brushing three times a day is a tough task, especially if you're roughing it in the mountains of Afghanistan or in the Iraqi desert.

So goes the logic behind a recent endeavor by Army and civilian scientists -- combat gum for soldiers too busy to brush.

The gum, described at the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists convention this week in Nashville, would contain a special bacteria-fighting agent to prevent plaque, cavities and gum disease.

Soldiers in the field often lack the necessary time and means to brush and floss. Compounding the problem is the stress of combat, which can encourage bacterial growth in the mouth, said Col. Dennis Runyan, commander of the Army Dental and Trauma Research Detachment in Great Lakes, Illinois.

Gum was considered an ideal solution because the Army already issues gum to soldiers in their field rations.

Dr. Patrick DeLuca, a University of Kentucky drug product developer, is working to perfect the prototype, trying to make it taste better and ensure that it retains its flavor and bacteria-fighting ability for 30 minutes to an hour.

Once the development stage is complete sometime within the next year, scientists will begin testing the gum, possibly with Army units.

If the Army decides to pursue the idea, it will probably team up with a manufacturer to produce the gum. The Army has been talking to companies like chewing gum giant Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co., Runyan said.

Runyan said he hopes to see a finished product available within four years.

The only downside to this is that now you will not have the extra riflecleaning gear that you should have been brushing with all along.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Mr. P said:
I can just see the size of the operating manual now, along with 100
or so new ARs! All for gum.:eek2:

I can see it now, "gum, dental care, one each." Followed by the First Sergeant barking at soldiers to keep chewing.

Semper Fi said:
I can see it now, "gum, dental care, one each." Followed by the First Sergeant barking at soldiers to keep chewing.

Flashback Alert. In boot camp the Senior Drill Instructor required us to chew the rocks (chicklets) that came in the c-rations vigorously for one minute. He'd count it down and then we had to swallow the gum. I'd forgotton about that :laugh:

pegwinn said:
Flashback Alert. In boot camp the Senior Drill Instructor required us to chew the rocks (chicklets) that came in the c-rations vigorously for one minute. He'd count it down and then we had to swallow the gum. I'd forgotton about that :laugh:

Sounds like torture to me....that DI sounds worse than the freedom fighters in Iraq!

That is REAL sarcasm folks....

Forum List

Back