Army combat question?

suplex3000

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2014
Georgia
I have a question that is the one some people are afraid to ask a soldier, my understanding of war is from a civilian point of view. NOT THAT OF CALL OF DUTY. So please don't say that. My question is, if you have taken a life in the name of your country, do you see yourself differently? I guess it depends on the situation and the type of person you are. My uncle was 22 when he took a mans life with his rifle. He said he never looked at himself the same. Is that the same for every person who has taken a life? I apologize if this question runs you the wrong way. Have a nice day

I have a question that is the one some people are afraid to ask a soldier, my understanding of war is from a civilian point of view. NOT THAT OF CALL OF DUTY. So please don't say that. My question is, if you have taken a life in the name of your country, do you see yourself differently? I guess it depends on the situation and the type of person you are. My uncle was 22 when he took a mans life with his rifle. He said he never looked at himself the same. Is that the same for every person who has taken a life? I apologize if this question runs you the wrong way. Have a nice day
I felt bad about killing animals while hunting so I stopped.
But when I was in a hostile-fire zone I wouldn't enjoy it, but just knowing it's you or them makes it easier. Spend too much time in a war-zone and you lose your humanity unfortunately.

When I came home my brother-in-law took me deer hunting; no way could I harm that deer.

That is not a casual question and should not be asked as such. Combat is a totally foreign experience to anyone who hasn't been involved and cannot be explained in any meaningful way. Don't ask; don't tell. Settle for being happy you don't know and leave it at that.

I came home on the navy hospital ship "Bountiful." The ship was loaded with marines from Iwo and Okinawa, sailors from both places and GI's from Luzon. We had earphones by each bed and could follow the news. The voyage took a month. Someplace near Hawaii the bomb was dropped. A few days later the ship's announcer said the war was over and a silence settled over the ship, No cheers, no hurrahs, nothing, just quiet. For the first time I could hear the ship's electric motors adjusting the rudder.

Forum List

Back