Army beret to be dumped in favor of more practical caps

The tin pot of WW2 -they cooked, washed and didsom eother sturff with thing

Did't see a lot of gay-looking berets

I'll tell you I missed that Steel pot when they came out with Kevlar.

Ugh, steel pot. I remember that thing driving into my chest as I balanced like a tripod on it and my feet. while holding my hands behind my back during boot camp.

When General Shinseki gave the order for the Army to begin using the beret, I thought it was a fantastic choice, although the color angered many Rangers (and for good reason). I never liked the Patrol Cap (PC) as it had a tendancy to look baseball-ish with a civilian look to it. The beret was a smart improvement in Army dress and looked sharp, especially with the flash and DUI.

The beret is supposed to mean that you're part of an elite section within the Army, that you're a certified badass, or you got sent to one of those units. Want a beret? Go to school and earn one. Passing BCT isn't elite, it means you did something the rest of us jerk offs did to get our boots. I'm glad they did away with the beret.

Nothing wrong with the Beret and from what I understand it will continue to be part of the Uniform. I wore the Maroon Beret for a few years, and never had any complaints about it. Still have one here somewhere..........

SFC Ollie,

Is the Garrison Cap still part of the uniform or did the beret replace it?

If I remember the story i read correctly 2 garrison caps and one Beret will be issued to new recruits. It will be left up to local commanders when to wear the Beret. Sounds like it may be class A or B type uniform. Maybe for a Parade or something.....

The funniest part for is that Navy sailors would kill to swap the dixie cup for the berret.

Seriously, if they get to dump a cool cover like the berret, we should get to toss that fucking dixie cup

AAAW, I'm disappointed to hear that; Why, I thought the dixie cups and jumpers were most appropriate for you squidlings; the perfect, cute little uniform for Uncle Sam's "spoiled and pampered pets", as it were.

At any rate, now maybe the army will leave the berets to those soldiers who have actually EARNED them. Imagine that.

I dare you say that to a Navy seal!!

SFC Ollie,

Is the Garrison Cap still part of the uniform or did the beret replace it?

If I remember the story i read correctly 2 garrison caps and one Beret will be issued to new recruits. It will be left up to local commanders when to wear the Beret. Sounds like it may be class A or B type uniform. Maybe for a Parade or something.....

Yes, the beret is for special occasions, and dress uniform wear now. We now wear the PC for work.

I remember - years ago- when the Army went to this beret thing for everyone. The Green Berets were pissed. I can understand why. Something unique to them - now everyone's eligible?

Same thing happened in the Navy - when ANYONE, E7 or above, was authorized brown shoes in khaki. This pissed off the aviation community - who were traditionally the "Brown Shoes."

I never took the brown shoe option (although, I must admit - they looked better in khaki) and remained loyal to the "Black Shoe" Navy.

Some traditions shouldn't be fucked with.

I remember - years ago- when the Army went to this beret thing for everyone. The Green Berets were pissed. I can understand why. Something unique to them - now everyone's eligible?

Same thing happened in the Navy - when ANYONE, E7 or above, was authorized brown shoes in khaki. This pissed off the aviation community - who were traditionally the "Brown Shoes."

I never took the brown shoe option (although, I must admit - they looked better in khaki) and remained loyal to the "Black Shoe" Navy.

Agreed

I always thought that berets were kind of gay.

We should stick to the tried and true, uniquely American Stetson style cavalry hats

Stetson_Cavalry_hat.jpg

The funniest part for is that Navy sailors would kill to swap the dixie cup for the berret.

Seriously, if they get to dump a cool cover like the berret, we should get to toss that fucking dixie cup

AAAW, I'm disappointed to hear that; Why, I thought the dixie cups and jumpers were most appropriate for you squidlings; the perfect, cute little uniform for Uncle Sam's "spoiled and pampered pets", as it were.

At any rate, now maybe the army will leave the berets to those soldiers who have actually EARNED them. Imagine that.

I have, actually; hasn't started a fight yet! I have a number of friends who are (now retired) SEALs, and believe me, the inter-service razzing still goes on; as a grunt, I catch my share from them, and in return, I never let them forget that, as good as they are, they are STILL squids!:razz:

I have, actually; hasn't started a fight yet! I have a number of friends who are (now retired) SEALs, and believe me, the inter-service razzing still goes on; as a grunt, I catch my share from them, and in return, I never let them forget that, as good as they are, they are STILL squids!:razz:

My 2 oldest Brothers were both Navy. Today one is my Vice Commander and the other is ........... well, ........ a member of the post........... LOL Army still rules.......

rangers were the ones that got shafted they took our black and gave it to everyone.....:evil:

The Patrol Cap makes (and always has made) more sense. Berets can look pretty sharp if shaved and formed as they are supposed to be. The problem with giving them to everyone, is that a lot of soldiers just slapped them on their head and they look like shit.

Even when they look good, they aren't practical though. You can't wear them in the field.

The Patrol Cap makes (and always has made) more sense. Berets can look pretty sharp if shaved and formed as they are supposed to be. The problem with giving them to everyone, is that a lot of soldiers just slapped them on their head and they look like shit.

Even when they look good, they aren't practical though. You can't wear them in the field.

I agree GTH.
I ride the VRE from DC to home quite often (and vice-versa) and one of our stops is Crystal City. Some of these overweight jackasses getting aboard wearing the beret, pardon me - but looks like shit.

Forum List

Back