1 lg red or green bell pepper
1 or 2 large potatoes
1/2 lb fresh (or frozen) green beans
1 1lb. can whole tomatoes
1/2 cup catsup
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp each basil and honey
1/4 tsp black pepper (best if freshly ground)
3 or 4 small zucchini
chopped parsley for garnish

basically chop this stuff up in large 1 inch chunks and mix it all together.

the recipe goes like this:
cut unpeeled eggplant into 1" cubes, cut onions into 1" squares, cut carrots in slanting slices about 3/4" thick, cut bell pepper into 1" squares, peel potatoes and cut into 1" cubes, snap ends off beans and cut into 2" pieces,
combine these ingredients in a large (5 quart) casserole.
drain juice from tomatoes into casserole, chop tomatoes and add. add olive oil, catsup, honey, basil and pepper. stir gently

cover dish tightly and bake at 350 degrees for about 2 hours, basting with juices every half hour, until vegetables are almost tender.
meanwhile scrub zucchini and cut into 1/2 inch slices, add to casserole and mix gently.
return to oven and bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes . Garnish with parsley and serve hot or at room temp
If prepared ahead, cool and refridgerate, reheat, covered, in 350 degree oven about 30 minutes til bubbly hot.
its actually better the second day

served up with warm crusty bread , its a real winner Enjoy!

That doesn't sound half bad...except for the eggplant. I dont like eggplant. Is there a substitute or is it a critical ingrediant?

CSM said:
That doesn't sound half bad...except for the eggplant. I dont like eggplant. Is there a substitute or is it a critical ingrediant?
The eggplant is not essential.
I think any recipe can be altered....a substitute for the eggplant could be any vegetable a person perferred, maybe even some sauted soy product or meat....(I'm a veggie so cant elaborate on that one).
Watch out though, this stew might make you a kinder gentler person. :eek2:

sagegirl said:
The eggplant is not essential.
I think any recipe can be altered....a substitute for the eggplant could be any vegetable a person perferred, maybe even some sauted soy product or meat....(I'm a veggie so cant elaborate on that one).
Watch out though, this stew might make you a kinder gentler person. :eek2:

No danger of that. I will probably throw a puppy or kitty into the stew...just to make it interesting.

CSM said:
You are kidding right? Libs serve no useful purpose and they smell funny.

But when you cook them, just like everything else, they may taste like chicken.

Shattered said:
But when you cook them, just like everything else, they may taste like chicken.
It's the word "may" that bothers me here. They "may" taste like...well you know....

Forum List

Back