Armed domestic violence suspect dead in deputy-involved shooting in Spanaway

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
There is so much wrong with this story, I don't have time to analyze it so I'll leave it up to anyone who wants to weigh in, but it begins with what I consider the wrong attitudes about what is acceptable or "normal" regarding domestic violence in our country. You have to watch the entire video in order to see the 'victim's' take on what happened

• Armed domestic violence suspect dead in deputy-involved shooting in Spanaway
    by KOMO News Staff

Sunday, October 21st 2018

Armed domestic violence suspect dead in deputy-involved shooting in Spanaway (KOMO News)

PIERCE COUNTY, Wash – Pierce County detectives are investigating a deputy-involved shooting that ended with an armed domestic violence suspect dead Saturday night in Spanaway.

Deputies responded to a 911 call in the 100 block of 161st Street South, with the woman reporting that her boyfriend was drunk and armed with a handgun, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. The woman locked herself in the bathroom, while her boyfriend was breaking things inside their duplex. She told dispatchers that the home was filling with smoke, deputies said.

Deputies confronted the woman’s fiance at the front door. The man had a gun in his hip holster, ignored orders by the deputies to not touch the gun and pulled it out toward the deputies, the Pierce County Sheriff's Department said.

Deputies shot the man, who was later identified by his fiance and the Pierce County Medical Examiner's Office as Robert Smith, Jr.

Smith was taken to a nearby hospital and did not survive, investigators said.

"Couldn’t believe this happened and especially to him. Because he was such a meek and mauve guy. And one wrong move can apparently end your life," said neighbor Tim Bailey.

"We have never had one of those volatile relationships. We talked through everything. We get through everything, he’s my best friend, my soul mate. And they took him from me," said Smith's fiance DeAnn Bates.

Smith's .40 caliber semiautomatic handgun and a holster found on his waistband were placed into evidence, investigators said.

The three deputies involved in the confrontation were placed on standard administrative leave, investigators said.

There is so much wrong with this story, I don't have time to analyze it so I'll leave it up to anyone who wants to weigh in, but it begins with what I consider the wrong attitudes about what is acceptable or "normal" regarding domestic violence in our country. You have to watch the entire video in order to see the 'victim's' take on what happened

by KOMO News Staff

Armed domestic violence suspect dead in deputy-involved shooting in Spanaway (KOMO News)

PIERCE COUNTY, Wash – Pierce County detectives are investigating a deputy-involved shooting that ended with an armed domestic violence suspect dead Saturday night in Spanaway.

Deputies responded to a 911 call in the 100 block of 161st Street South, with the woman reporting that her boyfriend was drunk and armed with a handgun, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. The woman locked herself in the bathroom, while her boyfriend was breaking things inside their duplex. She told dispatchers that the home was filling with smoke, deputies said.

Deputies confronted the woman’s fiance at the front door. The man had a gun in his hip holster, ignored orders by the deputies to not touch the gun and pulled it out toward the deputies, the Pierce County Sheriff's Department said.

Deputies shot the man, who was later identified by his fiance and the Pierce County Medical Examiner's Office as Robert Smith, Jr.

"Couldn’t believe this happened and especially to him. Because he was such a meek and mauve guy. And one wrong move can apparently end your life," said neighbor Tim Bailey.

"We have never had one of those volatile relationships. We talked through everything. We get through everything, he’s my best friend, my soul mate. And they took him from me," said Smith's fiance DeAnn Bates.

Smith's .40 caliber semiautomatic handgun and a holster found on his waistband were placed into evidence, investigators said.

The three deputies involved in the confrontation were placed on standard administrative leave, investigators said.
It really doesn't pay to be a strong purple in that town. ("he was such a meek and mauve guy.")
If you want everyone to live do not call the police. Get your pastor, a close freind, a stranger off the street is a better choice than the police.

by KOMO News Staff

It really doesn't pay to be a strong purple in that town. ("he was such a meek and mauve guy.")
If you want everyone to live do not call the police. Get your pastor, a close freind, a stranger off the street is a better choice than the police.
I'm kind of surprised that no one weighed in on this - not the gun control people, not the pro-police people, no one from the domestic violence side.

What I was alluding to in my opening comment was how the "victim" believes it is "normal" to have repeated incidents of this nature. It's a huge red flag whether the guy was armed or not, that she felt a need to have to hide in the bathroom and call the police in order to apparently put some space between them so they could calm down. This is complete BS although I'm aware of the fact that this is generally what the police do when they encounter these types of situations - get the "man" (or aggressor) away from the female (or victim), and give him a chance to cool down. To me this just reinforces the belief that it's okay for anyone to be abusive and violent towards another ("we understand, you lost your temper"), I don't care what type of relationship may exist between them. It's not, it just perpetuates the myth that these idiots have some rights over another human being to the point that they believe they can do whatever is necessary to prevent the "significant other" from doing anything that they don't like or approve of especially leave them. For too many of them, the solution then becomes the murder of their SO, their children and then going on the run or committing suicide. This has happened in the local news at least 3 times that I can think of in the last week to 10 days.

Now add a firearm to the mix.

by KOMO News Staff

I dont see the problem. He was a violent drunk who scared his girlfriend enough to barricade herself in the bathroom. It's possible that she set up an innocent guy, but if the cops show up and this innocent guy scares them enough to shoot him, I'm inclined to believe the womans story.

This guy had it coming.

by KOMO News Staff

You have police at your door, and you are wearing a gun....fine. The problem point.....

ignored orders by the deputies to not touch the gun and pulled it out toward the deputies, the Pierce County Sheriff's Department said.

What was the first clue that this guy did something really stupid that got him shot?

Forum List

Back