Armed civilian ship

Indeed. And from which country did they hire? LOL! Oh yea, the were safe.

Given that the average pirate heavy wepaon is an RPG and is unlikely to be able to significantly damage and ocean going ship of more than a couple of hundred tons. It would seem that Armed security guards would be a good idea. A few idiots get their butts shot off piracy will be a lot less attractive.

By the way another whole in the whole idea that the pirates took to pirating because they could catch any fish. Puhlease with 90% of the fishing fleet gone pirating how the hell would they Know?

ROFL.. if you read the link, it says that arming normal cargo vessels with security just doesn't make economic sense... Let's see... Hire some former Special operators for 100k/each per year per vessel...

I don't know how many trips those ship make in that area in a year, but we have to assume, it's numerous. Now figure the average ransom of 3 million and I don't see how it can be a loss... a million or two in operators and equipment, which assures against the loss of 3-6-9 million; it's money in the BANK.

They claim it may escalate the violence, well damn... contrary to the article, Pirates kill MANY crews, alebeit not necessarily of Somalia... but it's very common that snatch and grab pirates will kill whoever gets between them and the booty and as a general rule, those morons are THE LOCAL POLICE... or some local 'Federally'.

Screw them... put the shooters on board, give them the authroity in crisis to finish the job and it'll work itself out.

I doubt it woul dbe too hard to find 20 something former special ops guys that want to spend the summer cruising with a chance to open the heads of some pirates for some DECENT COIN...

LOL... I assure you that would be a VERY LONG LINE INDEED!

Last edited:
ROFL.. if you read the link, it says that arming normal cargo vessels with security just doesn't make economic sense... Let's see... Hire some former Special operators for 100k/each per year per vessel...

I don't know how many trips those ship make in that area in a year, but we have to assume, it's numerous. Now figure the average ransom of 3 million and I don't see how it can be a loss... a million or two in operators and equipment, which assures against the loss of 3-6-9 million; it's money in the BANK.

They claim it may escalate the violence, well damn... contrary to the article, Pirates kill MANY crews, alebeit not necessarily of Somalia... but it's very common that snatch and grab pirates will kill whoever gets between them and the booty and as a general rule, those morons are THE LOCAL POLICE... or some local 'Federally'.

Screw them... put the shooters on board, give them the authroity in crisis to finish the job and it'll work itself out.

I doubt it woul dbe too hard to find 20 something former special ops guys that want to spend the summer cruising with a chance to open the heads of some pirates for some DECENT COIN...

I'm charging 100 doubloons per trip and an extra 300 for every pirate I have to send to Davey Jone's locker with my blunderbuss

I'm charging 100 doubloons per trip and an extra 300 for every pirate I have to send to Davey Jone's locker with my blunderbuss

Well I don't know what a doubloon goes for these days, but it sounds right to me... Make your mark and COME ABOARD, Matey and we'll fit ya with a lovely 1500RPM Blunderbuss... and a nice pair of deck-shoes ta BOOT!

how about putting a few Phlanx guns on those ships
:D
that will take care of those pirates

Many ships don't carry weapons because a lot of ports won't allow ships with arms on them. Plus, the ship owners are worried about guns because of possible liability issues. But arming the civilian ships seems like a simple solution to the pirate problem. Shoot back at the pirates and piracy becomes a lot less attractive.

The companies don't want to pay the higher insurance costs for arming crews. That requires purchasing weapons, providing for THEIR security, training sailors to use them.

Would be more cost effective to toss a two man .50 cal crew of Sailors or Marines on each ship. A .50 will sink a fishing boat.

The companies don't want to pay the higher insurance costs for arming crews. That requires purchasing weapons, providing for THEIR security, training sailors to use them.

Would be more cost effective to toss a two man .50 cal crew of Sailors or Marines on each ship. A .50 will sink a fishing boat.

I just said that to my GF 20 minutes ago.

Merchant ships which have to use that passage should be mounted with 50 cal guns and the crews trained to use them. All crew members should be permitted to wear side arms.

The heaviest weapon so far these pirates have used is a RPG and their "fleet" are fishing boats and pleasure craft.

In the best of hands, 150 - 300 m is max. The practical range is 50 m.

The maximum effective range of the M2 Browning .50 machine gun is 1.8 km (1.2 miles) and the cyclic rate of fire is 450-600 rpm.

Too easy.

The heaviest weapon so far these pirates have used is a RPG and their "fleet" are fishing boats and pleasure craft.

The maximum effective range of the M2 Browning .50 machine gun is 1.8 km (1.2 miles) and the cyclic rate of fire is 450-600 rpm.

Too easy.
wouldnt a Phalynx gun mounted on each side of the ship with the controls on the bridge be just as good?

Too easy.
wouldnt a Phalynx gun mounted on each side of the ship with the controls on the bridge be just as good?

Dude, you don't swat flies with a sledge hammer. :lol:

A 20mm cannon that fires at 3000-4500 rpms? You couldn't click the switch fast enough to not waste ammo.

Too easy.

A 20mm cannon that fires at 3000-4500 rpms? You couldn't click the switch fast enough to not waste ammo.
it would be effective

it would be effective

Effective? Have you ever seen a Seawhiz in action? Close the hatches and turn those babies on and it's BAD news. They lock onto anything that moves and can cover ever inch of the ship with the exception of turning on the ship itself.

You want to waste that kind of money on dirtbags? Shit, if the subject wasn't serious, I could come up with some serious sporting events to blow these losers out of the water. :badgrin:

it would be effective

Effective? Have you ever seen a Seawhiz in action? Close the hatches and turn those babies on and it's BAD news. They lock onto anything that moves and can cover ever inch of the ship with the exception of turning on the ship itself.

You want to waste that kind of money on dirtbags? Shit, if the subject wasn't serious, I could come up with some serious sporting events to blow these losers out of the water. :badgrin:
yup, i've seen it

[youtube]cgpQBZF2sZQ[/youtube]

you wouldnt have to fire it for very long

it would be effective

yup, i've seen it

[youtube]cgpQBZF2sZQ[/youtube]

you wouldnt have to fire it for very long

Me personally, I'd rather give them almost a chance. I'll take a claymore. They can board when they think they're ready.

An RPG can punch through a Tank's armor, I see no problem with it punching through the UNARMED hull of civilian craft or for that matter our Navy, since we no longer armor our ships.

An RPG can punch through a Tank's armor, I see no problem with it punching through the UNARMED hull of civilian craft or for that matter our Navy, since we no longer armor our ships.

True. And a lucky shot "could" sink a ship. Would you rather be a hostage or swimming? I'm WSQ so I'll take the latter.

Oh and, notice the disparity in ranges between an RPG and an M2 Browning.:cool:

Forum List

Back