Armed citizen gives unarmed police officer his gun when the extent of attack was unknown...

This is underwhelming to say the least. So what? How many people did he save by doing this?

The point is that an armed citizen allowed those people to remain safe....if this had been like Mumbai, or the Bataclan in France and you had gunmen roaming the strip murdering people.....these people would have been safe...because of an armed civilian.......instead of being murdered.

But it wasn't. Worst mass shooting in US history. Just last week we were discussing the church mass shooting. Other countries don't have this problem. Other countries don't have cops getting shot and killed weekly either. Too many guns.

Other countries are irrelevant

-Geaux

I would argue that it was an unwise choice. Several reasons come to mind, and I’ll explain why briefly.

1) People impersonate police officers often enough that it is in the news once or twice a year at a minimum. There is no way to know if the person standing before you is a cop from out of town, or not. For all you know, he could be part of the attack.

2) The one person you are certain is not part of the attack is yourself. Holding onto your weapon then and there is exactly the right call. If you feel a guard at the door is warranted, then take up the task yourself. Lock the door, bar it if you must, and then hunker down and take up cover. If you feel the door should be open for people in danger to flee towards, then so be it. Passing off your weapon is passing off the responsibility for your safety to another.

3) Concealed Carry is for YOU to carry a gun for your use. Not to have it handy to pass off to another. I don’t get my wife a permit so she can pack a Glock for my use in case of an emergency. I carry my own, and expect that I will be the one pulling the trigger if something goes horribly wrong.

4) Weapon quirks. Every weapon is a little different. Yes, they all go bang when you pull the trigger. But they are all a little different. Just as every car that comes off the assembly line is a little different. The trigger may be modified, and the amount of pressure the cop is accustomed to using may be more than enough to fire it accidentally. Even people who are familiar with their own weapons make mistakes, and fire unintentionally.

I could continue, but why? Either you think this was a smart move, and proof that cops are awesome, or you think it was dumb. Both could be right. I personally would not surrender my weapon in that situation. I trust myself, and I know my weapons. The very reason I carry is I am unwilling to stand idly by and trust my safety to anyone else.

I would argue that it was an unwise choice. Several reasons come to mind, and I’ll explain why briefly.

1) People impersonate police officers often enough that it is in the news once or twice a year at a minimum. There is no way to know if the person standing before you is a cop from out of town, or not. For all you know, he could be part of the attack.

2) The one person you are certain is not part of the attack is yourself. Holding onto your weapon then and there is exactly the right call. If you feel a guard at the door is warranted, then take up the task yourself. Lock the door, bar it if you must, and then hunker down and take up cover. If you feel the door should be open for people in danger to flee towards, then so be it. Passing off your weapon is passing off the responsibility for your safety to another.

3) Concealed Carry is for YOU to carry a gun for your use. Not to have it handy to pass off to another. I don’t get my wife a permit so she can pack a Glock for my use in case of an emergency. I carry my own, and expect that I will be the one pulling the trigger if something goes horribly wrong.

4) Weapon quirks. Every weapon is a little different. Yes, they all go bang when you pull the trigger. But they are all a little different. Just as every car that comes off the assembly line is a little different. The trigger may be modified, and the amount of pressure the cop is accustomed to using may be more than enough to fire it accidentally. Even people who are familiar with their own weapons make mistakes, and fire unintentionally.

I could continue, but why? Either you think this was a smart move, and proof that cops are awesome, or you think it was dumb. Both could be right. I personally would not surrender my weapon in that situation. I trust myself, and I know my weapons. The very reason I carry is I am unwilling to stand idly by and trust my safety to anyone else.

Yes, guard the door yourself! Put an inexperienced yahoo like yourself there instead of a professional. That makes perfect sense.

Yes, guard the door yourself! Put an inexperienced yahoo like yourself there instead of a professional. That makes perfect sense.
Doesnt take much skill to be a security guard. Thats why they dont make that much.

Police officers are trained with automatic pistols. The Glock or Smith and Wesson are normal. Fifteen rounds, and are trained to shoot and shoot and shoot some more.

A video of this training is offered.

This is the same qualification that most police department use. As proof, there are dozens of videos where the cops just keep pulling the trigger, and then reload, and shoot some more. Here is one example of your “professional” holding the gun all gangster style sideways.

Let’s say my weapon is a revolver. In that case, the right way to shoot is using the old standard. Shoot, Shoot, assess. Two rounds, not twenty. If a baddie comes in the door, the cop will empty the pistol, and then what? Figure out how to reload the revolver? What does he do for baddie number two? He emptied the cylinder on baddie number one. Reloading a revolver if you haven’t practiced it, even with a speedloader, is tricky. Even with practice it is easy to screw it up.

Now, he supposedly knows what he is doing and has practiced. So a three second reload is fair. Not everyone is a shooting expert. But how is this cop, who has probably zero to minimal experience with a revolver, going to manage? Ten second reload, fifteen? How many baddies could come through the door while he’s fumbling with the reloading? If he had shot with the right technique, he could have done number two of our notional baddies.

I’ll trust me, you trust anyone you want. Perhaps the weapon was one that had a grip safety, or one that has a magazine safety. The Ruger LCP has a magazine safety, and isn’t alone. A well received weapon for concealed carry. Empty the magazine, it takes a few seconds since it only holds seven, almost half what the cop is used to.

I’ve taken the weapon from someone who is experienced with it, and theoretically has trained with it, and given it to a novice. That isn’t smart. That’s like a pilot handing the controls to a guy who has never been in the front of that type of plane, because he says he’s a fighter pilot. He may be so good that Chuck Yeager says he’s awesome. But he still has less experience with THIS plane.

Police officers are trained with automatic pistols. The Glock or Smith and Wesson are normal. Fifteen rounds, and are trained to shoot and shoot and shoot some more.

This is the same qualification that most police department use. As proof, there are dozens of videos where the cops just keep pulling the trigger, and then reload, and shoot some more. Here is one example of your “professional” holding the gun all gangster style sideways.

Let’s say my weapon is a revolver. In that case, the right way to shoot is using the old standard. Shoot, Shoot, assess. Two rounds, not twenty. If a baddie comes in the door, the cop will empty the pistol, and then what? Figure out how to reload the revolver? What does he do for baddie number two? He emptied the cylinder on baddie number one. Reloading a revolver if you haven’t practiced it, even with a speedloader, is tricky. Even with practice it is easy to screw it up.

Now, he supposedly knows what he is doing and has practiced. So a three second reload is fair. Not everyone is a shooting expert. But how is this cop, who has probably zero to minimal experience with a revolver, going to manage? Ten second reload, fifteen? How many baddies could come through the door while he’s fumbling with the reloading? If he had shot with the right technique, he could have done number two of our notional baddies.

I’ll trust me, you trust anyone you want. Perhaps the weapon was one that had a grip safety, or one that has a magazine safety. The Ruger LCP has a magazine safety, and isn’t alone. A well received weapon for concealed carry. Empty the magazine, it takes a few seconds since it only holds seven, almost half what the cop is used to.

I’ve taken the weapon from someone who is experienced with it, and theoretically has trained with it, and given it to a novice. That isn’t smart. That’s like a pilot handing the controls to a guy who has never been in the front of that type of plane, because he says he’s a fighter pilot. He may be so good that Chuck Yeager says he’s awesome. But he still has less experience with THIS plane.

How much time did you waste on this post?

What a maroon!

Do what you want. Die in the process. Good for you!

What a maroon!

Why would I die? I know my skills, and I know my weapons. Why would I trust another?

What a maroon!

Why would I die? I know my skills, and I know my weapons. Why would I trust another?

Guys like that want you to pull up your skirt and ask the dashing policeman to save you.

What a maroon!

That's you! You are saying that no one should ever do what he did. There is the problem.

What a maroon!

That's you! You are saying that no one should ever do what he did. There is the problem.

I am. If you are licensed to carry you better be the best person to handle your weapon.

What a maroon!

You are saying the licensed to carry people should give up their gun to their policeman savior. If they are carrying they should. Almost certainly do, know their weapon and have the skills.

They certainly can’t do any worse than a cop with an unfamiliar weapon. A cop who is trained in one way of engaging the target. A cop who may not be all that good in the first place.

He might be awesome. He might be an idiot. If you want to surrender your fate to an unknown quantity that is your choice. Me? I’m suggesting that you and anyone else is far better off with your fate in your hands.

What a maroon!

You are saying the licensed to carry people should give up their gun to their policeman savior. If they are carrying they should. Almost certainly do, know their weapon and have the skills.

They certainly can’t do any worse than a cop with an unfamiliar weapon. A cop who is trained in one way of engaging the target. A cop who may not be all that good in the first place.

He might be awesome. He might be an idiot. If you want to surrender your fate to an unknown quantity that is your choice. Me? I’m suggesting that you and anyone else is far better off with your fate in your hands.

Contrarian. If I said black, you'd say white.

Congratulations! You win. Have a nice life!

New Topics

Forum List

Back