Arlington Police, Fire & Sheriff 9-11 Memorial 5K

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
1576.jpg

Arlington 911 Race - HOME

Any other runners here? I ran my first 5K ever there last year and with no training at all I did it in just under 36 minutes. I'm doing a "6 Weeks to 5K" training regimen now so I should be able to shave 5-10 minutes off my time and not suffer "lung burn"! :D

Trying to get my wife to come with me this year for moral support although she'll never run, she aint the type! Anyone in the area who wants to participate and maybe meet up before the race gimme' a PM!

DSC_3489a1.jpg

Been breaking in my new running shoes, Mizuno "Wave Inspire 8".
Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 8 Running Shoes | Mizuno USA

The local running store says I needed "stability shoes" (no, not corrective shoes :D) Apparently I have a case of mild "over pronation" (I won't bother explaining here)

Also started running on the treadmill that has been sitting in my garage, unused for the past year! I got it for free and now I can actually put it to use.

Did 2 minutes monday, 5 minutes wednesday 8 minutes Friday, sprinted the last 60 seconds. Did ten 10 tonight and sprinted the last two minutes.

My goal is to run 20 minutes non stop and sprint the last 2 minutes by next Saturday. 30 minutes the following week and maybe 40 the week after.

15 minutes last night, sprinted the last 2. No "lung burn" and not sore at all!

20 minutes this morning.

Jog 0:00-9:00
Run 9:00-10:00
Jog 10:00-18:30
Run 18:30-20:00

1.8 miles total.

No lung burn. Slight soreness in right calf that is now gone. Probably because I had no rest between run days and I'm right side dominant anyway. I'll wait until Wednesday or Thursday to run again.

5K equals 3.2 miles so I have a ways to go yet.
Goal is still to run it in under 30 minutes.

Last edited:
20 minutes last Monday, 25 last Wednesday and 30 minutes last night. Right calf sore again.

A runner friend of mine recommended a few stretching exercises that seemed to help. Before that I was just walking on the treadmill for a minute or two then commenced to jogging.

I just figgered out in order to reach my goal of under 30 minutes I have to run an average pace of 6.4 mph. I've been doing 5.5 and bumping it up to 6.5 a few times during the run. Hmmm.

Well todays the day! All I've been doing for the last 10 days or so has been High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on a stationary bike. Longest I did it was for 12 minutes, it'll kick your ass!

My goals are still the same: Finish in under 30 minutes and without stopping!

I'll post some pics tonight when I get back.

Well I ran it without stopping but I just missed the 29 minute mark with a 30:48, oh well. I'm already looking forward to next year!

5K2012.jpg

A friend at work (Neil) asked me if I was gonna' run this year so I thanked him for reminding me!

This years' event is gonna' be held on Saturday the 7th so I have about 9 weeks to prepare. My goal weight for this year is 175 and I'll be eating strictly Primal until I reach that weight. Plus, the occasional P90X routine and Weight Lifting full body workout thrown in for good measure.

You may not think so but 20 lbs is very doable in 2 months. 10 lbs a month, 2.5 lbs a week. Easy shmeezy!

In the meantime my usual training regimen will consist of HIIT and Pose Running Drills. My goal is to run it under 30 minutes and if I can get down to 175 or so I should be able to make it!

Just registered for this years race which will be my 4th in a row! In 3 tries I still haven't broken 30 minutes. That's the goal.

Race is Sept. 6th so that gives me approximately 8 weeks to prepare.

Forum List

Back