Arlington Cemetery crosses removed?

• Yes, all crosses should be removed.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No, all crosses should remain.

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • No, but no new ones should be added.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arlington is a cemetery. Markers are not placed at the spot of death of the fallen. Markers are placed where the body rests.

I agree ALL road markers should be removed. The roadway is not a cemetery nor is it where the body rests.

I disagree...the roadside memorials is a reminder to us all....seen any "don't drink and drive" signs lately? Many of them have names under them of those that were killed in that area due to drunk drivers. For some, the place the person died is more important than where the body is buried. Just like the day they were born is more important than the day they died.

I am much more emotional about where my brother died than where he is buried.

I understand the sentiments of the families. The road side thing is only a reminder to the people it effects, not the thousands of other people driving by.

So you've never seen a "Don't drink and drive sign" and stopped to think about the person that was killed and their family and how bad it is to drink and drive?

Should all white crosses be removed from Arlington and all federal cemeteries? Since the US is looking at a stricter interpretation of the constitution regarding separation of church and state are the crosses violating this clause? Would a Muslim soldier buried there have a cross? A Jewish soldier?

They removed them from the cemetery where my dad is buried, and put in tombstones instead, at much greater expense....how about we let the families choose? Then again, who wouldn't go for a free headstone at taxpayers expense, you can still have a cross engraved on it.

What cemetery was that? Never heard of that happening. If it's a federal cemetary, I'm sure there's a record of it happening somewhere.

I disagree...the roadside memorials is a reminder to us all....seen any "don't drink and drive" signs lately? Many of them have names under them of those that were killed in that area due to drunk drivers. For some, the place the person died is more important than where the body is buried. Just like the day they were born is more important than the day they died.

I am much more emotional about where my brother died than where he is buried.

I understand the sentiments of the families. The road side thing is only a reminder to the people it effects, not the thousands of other people driving by.

So you've never seen a "Don't drink and drive sign" and stopped to think about the person that was killed and their family and how bad it is to drink and drive?

I know what drinking and driving will cause. Reading the sign means nothing to me in terms of stopping and thinking about anything. Just as crosses for troopers on freeways mean nothing to me. We have so many impromptu "memorials" littering the streets and highways, all it is to me is trash.

I take that back a bit. The crosses on the road are a danger. Danger to other drivers and a danger to the people who stop at them. And they should be removed for safety reasons. That is what i think when i see the crosses.

Last edited:
It's pretty sad to think that anybody would even consider wanting the crosses removed from a cemetery. It borders on pure stupidity.

The day that some group of idiots decide to start removing religious icons from Military cemeteries is the day I go to jail for a very long time.

Should all white crosses be removed from Arlington and all federal cemeteries? Since the US is looking at a stricter interpretation of the constitution regarding separation of church and state are the crosses violating this clause? Would a Muslim soldier buried there have a cross? A Jewish soldier?

Where does the Constitution grant the U. S. Government power to provide cemeteries?

Where does the Constitution grant the U. S. Government power to provide cemeteries?

Lincoln did a lot of things that were un constitutional. Arlington was one of them.

Last edited:

Fortunately every law does not have to be spelled out in the Constitution.

"On July 17 of that year, Congress enacted legislation that authorized the President to purchase "cemetery grounds" to be used as national cemeteries "for soldiers who shall have died in the service of the country." Fourteen cemeteries were established that first year, including one in the sleepy Maryland town of Sharpsburg where 4,476 Union soldiers were laid to rest after the one day of terrible slaughter that was the Battle of Antietam. (By way of comparison, approximately 3,000 Americans, British and Canadians died on June 6, 1944, in the invasion of Normandy)."
General History - Burial & Memorials

You know ... you guys will just have to forgive me. I'm so fucking sick and tired of this bull shit I could just shit bricks. If I had my way, I'd reinstitute the damned draft for all candy-assed, whining, frigging little pricks we have among us today. Two years mandatory active duty before even being considered for acceptance to their college of choice. Their "entitlement" to a college education would be one they earned through military service. Maybe the little bastards would grow up enough to appreciate the opportunity for higher education.

No. The crosses, Stars of David, or other religious symbols at a soldier's grave should be left alone. Those men and women by God EARNED the honor of remembrance because they fucking gave all to protect this country and its people INCLUDING their right to religious freedom among other freedoms - and, much to my sorrow, including the right for ungrateful, whining, ranting, disrespectful, brain-drained fucking twerps to spew their venom.

I just hate it when my son reminds me of that - but he's right. Damn, he's right.

Why not just remove the body's while your at it?

You know ... you guys will just have to forgive me. I'm so fucking sick and tired of this bull shit I could just shit bricks. If I had my way, I'd reinstitute the damned draft for all candy-assed, whining, frigging little pricks we have among us today. Two years mandatory active duty before even being considered for acceptance to their college of choice. Their "entitlement" to a college education would be one they earned through military service. Maybe the little bastards would grow up enough to appreciate the opportunity for higher education.

No. The crosses, Stars of David, or other religious symbols at a soldier's grave should be left alone. Those men and women by God EARNED the honor of remembrance because they fucking gave all to protect this country and its people INCLUDING their right to religious freedom among other freedoms - and, much to my sorrow, including the right for ungrateful, whining, ranting, disrespectful, brain-drained fucking twerps to spew their venom.

I just hate it when my son reminds me of that - but he's right. Damn, he's right.

Relax Granny...crosses ain't going away.

Forum List

Back