Arkansas Ten Commandment Monument Destroyed in Terrorist Attack

If it is just legal history, why demand that no other displays are allowed? The SCOTUS building has Moses and the 10C on it. But there are also other famous law givers, like Mohammad, Confucious, Justinian ect ect.

I dont know the answer to that, honestly. I thought that there were some other symbolic representations of major points in the history of law.

Actually, I just checked Wikipedia and found thihs.

United States Supreme Court Building - Wikipedia

Courtroom friezes: The South Wall Frieze includes figures of lawgivers from the ancient world and includes Menes, Hammurabi, Moses, Solomon, Lycurgus, Solon, Draco, Confucius, and Augustus. The North Wall Frieze shows lawgivers from the Middle Ages on and includes representations of Justinian, Muhammad, Charlemagne, John, King of England, Louis IX of France, Hugo Grotius, Sir William Blackstone, John Marshall, and Napoleon. The Moses frieze depicts him holding the Ten Commandments, although only commandments six through ten, usually considered the more secular commands, are visible.

So it seems fairly sanitized of any particular religion to my mind.

Pure nonsense.

I keep seeing people claim it is the basis for our laws, but most of them seem to have not read either.

The Commandments:
#1 - Thou shalt have no gods before me. This is the basis for what US Law? Oh yeah, none.
#2 - Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain. This is the basis for what US Law? Yep, none of them.
#3 - Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. This is the basis for what laws? Yeah, a handful of Blue Laws that are getting knocked down.
#4 - Honor thy mother & father. This is the basis for what US Laws? Yep, none on this one either.
#5 - Thou shalt not kill. FINALLY at the halfway mark we get one that applies to a US Law. Of course, this same law can be found in every civilized culture. In fact, the Code of Hammarabi predates the 10 commandments, and expressly forbids murder.
#6 - Thou Shalt not commit adultery. This is the basis for what US Laws? I know it will cost you in divorce court, but is it illegal?
#7 - Thou shalt not steal. We have another winner!! But then, like #5, this law is found in every civilized culture, including laws that predate the 10.
#8 - Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. US Law? Nope.
#9 & #10 - Thou shall not covet. This?? LMAO! Violating this commandment is the basis for our economy. Nope, not a US law.

So out of 10 commandments, 3 of them are strictly religious laws, 2 are laws on our books, and 5 are great ideas but not laws.

#6 There anti-adultery laws in 21 states

New Hampshire Senate votes to repeal anti-adultery law

#8 Absolutely there's US law on that, pertaining to slander, libel, and perjury. No need to cite because that's obvious.

So your statement is false, more than 2 of those things absolutely are US law.

Many states also have anti-sodomy laws on the books.

The Bible was the basis for US law.

The Founding Fathers on Jesus, Christianity and the Bible - WallBuilders

The libel laws do not always fit "bearing false witness". It is also a civil law, allowing for law suits not criminal prosecution.

Anti sodomy laws have been struck down by SCOTUS.

And what of the strictly religious laws in the 10 Commandments? Are those to be held as law in the US?

Yet they do apply to slander and perjury, no? A-HA!

No, that was not in the plans, that's why they're not laws. However, if everyone followed the 10 commandments, there would less need for police, lawyers, and judges.

As a matter of fact, that was one of the founding principles of the country: liberty by self-governance.

I am not saying that they are bad rules. Quite the contrary, if you take out the first 3, it makes a good set of rules for everyone.

But the simple fact that it IS a religious set of laws, and the fact that no other religions were allowed to be represented, makes it a violation of the US Constitution to have them on gov't property.

It is less about what it says and more about demanding that one religion get to do it and none of the others are allowed.

Do you know what percentage of people were Christian back then? 98% The rest were Jews.

Yes it does belong on government property, it has always been that way.

If the people that wrote the Constitution allowed it, it's allowed.

Now, so are you saying that church services shouldn't be held in the Capitol building either?

No nononono. There is church in the Capitol building.

You need to go back and read the Constitution a little bit better next time.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech"

Therefore Congress shall make no laws taking religious symbols away from where they were put. Have any laws been made yet that establish an official religion? No? Well then, the 1st amendment has not been broken by Congress in 240 years.

To try to twist that into "no religious symbols can be on government property" is egregiously bullshit, because then you are prohibiting the free exercise of religion.
No, several Hidis foght in the War for Independence.

Forum List

Back