Arizona will require Obama to provide birth cert if he wants to be on ballot

How is it unconstitutional if the constitution requires a natural born citizen? If 20 states banned Christians, that would be unconstitutional, why do you're type always use Christians? Why do Christians scare you?

They are not requiring anything that is not already required, his live birth certificate long form is the real question, if it exist show it and put this issue in the rear view mirror.....

Pure ignorance. Fact is, Obama has proven time and time again he is a citizen according to the law. Birthers such as yourself are trying to skirt the law and ram a unconstitutional law in. I use christians because the people spewing this ignorant bullshit are white, middle aged to old christian people. I happen to be a young christian person, so no, I'm not scared of Christians.

The only thing that is pure ignorance is you, hell I don't care what he does, he is already toast in '12....

God you're stupid, here you are criticizing white middle aged Christians and you claim to be a Christian?

The only thing that is pure ignorance is you, hell I don't care what he does, he is already toast in '12....

God you're stupid, here you are criticizing white middle aged Christians and you claim to be a Christian?

Toast against who in '12? Please, tell me who is the GOP's Knight in Shining Armor? Sarah Palin? :cuckoo:

I'm not criticizing white middle aged Christians you whackjob. I'm merely using the example of Christians since that is the audience that I'm trying nicely to explain this to. And yes, I am a Christian.

Toast against who in '12? Please, tell me who is the GOP's Knight in Shining Armor? Sarah Palin? :cuckoo:

I'm not criticizing white middle aged Christians you whackjob. I'm merely using the example of Christians since that is the audience that I'm trying nicely to explain this to. And yes, I am a Christian.

By '12 the dog catcher could beat him, Palin is not a viable canidate.....

Do you realize what you write?

Nothing unconstitutional about it.

Silly rabbit.

Arizona ‘birther’ bill forces Obama to show birth certificate | Raw Story

The Republic notes that there are concerns about the bill's constitutionality.

Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett also expressed concern about Burges' amendment, saying that creating state-level eligibility requirements to run for federal office could violate the U.S. Constitution.

"While everyone has an interest in ensuring that only eligible citizens run for president, there are obvious issues with states implementing what could become a patchwork of different tests for a presidential candidate to prove his/her citizenship," said Bennett's spokesman, Matthew Benson, in an e-mail.

While I'm sure you have no problem with states passing laws that you can't run for President if you're not a Christian, if you're gay, or if you're a atheist, the rest of us sane folk do.

Native born US citizen for 10 years is a constitutional requirement.

religious tests are expressly prohibited in the constitution.

The other tests would run afoul of various federal laws, which have precedence.
While I think it is silly, all it does is require him to demonstrate he does indeed pass the constitutionally mandated test of being a natural born us citizen.

It's not unconstitutional because states decide how candidates get on ballots and requesting that the candidate prove their Constitutional eligibility is not possibly unconstitutional.

Are you seriously telling me that you think that if an illegal allien gets enough signatures to be on the ballot as a Presidential candidate, they should be allowed to be placed on the ballot without proving that they are a Natural Born Citizen?

An illegal alien getting enough signatures to be on the ballot would have to prove they are a Natural Born Citizen. Obama already has, as have previous Presidents. What do you think? They just allow anyone to run for President? There is a necessary amount of paperwork. Never mind the fact if you lie on a federal document, that's a crime.

Seriously, just come out and say you're a birther, be proud of it. This is whole "well they have to prove their Constitutional eligibility" bullshit is a good excuse but it doesn't work. Especially when there is a system already in place.

You seem to ignore the fact this would set a horrible precedent, why is that?

A horrible precedent? Requiring candidates to provide actual proof that they are citizens? :lol:

I don't know if this is unconstitutional or not, but based on what I've read here, it seems to be a state law which basically says, 'Follow federal law'. At best that would make it redundant.

I won't go the route of making silly comparisons to not allowing atheist candidates or whatever else has been brought up here, but I do see a question of whether or not an individual state can decide what does or does not constitute following constitutional requirements. I guess it depends on what system is in place to determine if candidates are eligible; if there is already a federal agency which does that, does an individual state have the right to say that isn't good enough and that the candidate must be vetted by someone from that state? Put another way, if there were a Federal Presidential Eligibility Agency, and it determined Obama met the constitutional requirements, would Arizona have legal standing to not accept that and demand to see his birth certificate (or whatever documentation they deemed acceptable)? Would Hawaii have the right to deny that based on their own laws of non-disclosure concerning vital records? It could be a muddle.

Whatever the legal standing of this may be, I see it as just another silly political play. I doubt the legislators really give a damn (they probably are satisfied Obama is a NBC) and are just trying to look good for any voters who do care, or just reaching for media time. Of course, I'm very much a political cynic and I tend to assume the worst motives for just about any legislation :evil:

Again,

It was no secret that some of the states with a higher than expected "birther" legislature were going to try and pull this crap right before 2012.

So I applaud Arizona for springing the trap early.

Remember folks..........this is the same state that is going to allow law enforcement to check people out if they have "reasonable suspicion" that they aren't here legally.

The cop can decide what is reasonable suspicion, and if the person questioned can't show proof of being a citizen, they are locked up.

In other words............a police state.............."show us your papers or go to jail".

If they're gonna do stupid shit like the above, requiring a birth certificate is ALMOST sane.

They're giving SC serious competition in the stupidest state category.

Lol. Go Arizona!
2012 is only 2 years away. Thank goodness.

"The Arizona House on Monday voted for a provision that would require President Barack Obama to show his birth certificate if he hopes to be on the state's ballot when he runs for reelection."

Ariz House: Check Obama's Citizenship - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

you mean, the same certificate of live birth that he has already shown, the legal document of Hawaii for birth certificates, OR the original long form birth certificates which hawaii does not legally issue anymore?

Isn't it already a Federal requirement to be a natural born citizen of the US in order to be prez?? why yes I think it is.. therefore it is not unreasonable to require proof.. ie a birth certificate.

It's unreasonable and unconstitutional for a specific state to be making these sort of requirements. How would you like it if 20 states banned Christians running for public office? I highly doubt you'd like that at all.

How is it unconstitutional if the constitution requires a natural born citizen? If 20 states banned Christians, that would be unconstitutional, why do you're type always use Christians? Why do Christians scare you?

They are not requiring anything that is not already required, his live birth certificate long form is the real question, if it exist show it and put this issue in the rear view mirror.....

The determination of any candidate's suitability for FEDERAL elected office is a FEDERAL question, not a state one. States which have constitutional requirements for their elected officials are free to make the determination of suitability as to those candidates...but FEDERAL constitutional requirements are the exclusive province of the FEDERAL election commission and the FEDERAL judiciary. A state court can hear a case calling for a determination of the proper application of the US Constitution but it would be subject to review by the Federal courts. See, e.g., the various cases filed by Berg against Obama.

Nothing unconstitutional about it.

Silly rabbit.

Arizona ‘birther’ bill forces Obama to show birth certificate | Raw Story

The Republic notes that there are concerns about the bill's constitutionality.

Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett also expressed concern about Burges' amendment, saying that creating state-level eligibility requirements to run for federal office could violate the U.S. Constitution.

"While everyone has an interest in ensuring that only eligible citizens run for president, there are obvious issues with states implementing what could become a patchwork of different tests for a presidential candidate to prove his/her citizenship," said Bennett's spokesman, Matthew Benson, in an e-mail.

While I'm sure you have no problem with states passing laws that you can't run for President if you're not a Christian, if you're gay, or if you're a atheist, the rest of us sane folk do.

Native born US citizen for 10 years is a constitutional requirement.

religious tests are expressly prohibited in the constitution.

The other tests would run afoul of various federal laws, which have precedence.
While I think it is silly, all it does is require him to demonstrate he does indeed pass the constitutionally mandated test of being a natural born us citizen.

if you are a citizen at birth, you are a 'natural' born citizen....

even if you are born in a foreign country to an american, if you are issued a birth certificate or citizenship at birth, you are a 'natural born' citizen....plus living here.

Obama was issued his legal citizenship, at birth, by the state of hawaii....which makes him a natural born citizen.

END OF STORY.

Lol. Go Arizona!
2012 is only 2 years away. Thank goodness.

"The Arizona House on Monday voted for a provision that would require President Barack Obama to show his birth certificate if he hopes to be on the state's ballot when he runs for reelection."

Ariz House: Check Obama's Citizenship - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

you mean, the same certificate of live birth that he has already shown, the legal document of Hawaii for birth certificates, OR the original long form birth certificates which hawaii does not legally issue anymore?

This is the question, isn't it? And it's where full faith and credit comes in if AZ requires the "long form".

If HI (and any other State that routinely only issues a COLB or "short form" equivalent) does not issue the "long form" as demanded and their standard record is denied as legitimate proof of citizenship for AZ purposes, that is AZ refusing to honor the certified record of a sister State. Which violates Full faith and credit. Not only that, but Federal law allows a "short form" BC certified by the State to be proof of citizenship for things like a passport. AZ loses either way. So why do it?

If it doesn't require the "long form", it may pass constitutional muster but does nothing to advance the cause of the people who are promoting this garbage. Can't see them wasting the time with it if all it will do is put the matter to rest. If they wanted to do that, they would simply defer to the court proceedings.

The proposed law is too transparent, it's just more gotcha garbage to force an issue that isn't an issue.

Forum List

Back