Arizona State Lawmaker Proposes Holiday For White People

Exactly. What legislator Ash from Arizona was doing was challenging the latino lawmaker to either prove himself a hypocrite acting on a double standard, or a fair person that would welcome his suggestion.

This white bashing has gone on just about long enough, and the double standard is no longer acceptable.

You poor victim.

You poor moron.

:lol::lol::lol: Way to prove my point, you poor picked upon thing, you.

American Holidays

Americans celebrate a variety of federal holidays and other national observances throughout the year. American holidays can be secular, religious, international, or uniquely American.

With the wide variety of federal holidays, and the many levels of American government, it can be confusing to determine what public and private facilities are open on or around a given federal holiday. You can usually find such information in the daily newspaper or by calling the office you wish to visit.

The following are American federal holidays and other common national observances. Federal holidays are indicated as such.

New Year's Day is January 1. The celebration of this federal holiday begins the night before, when Americans gather to wish each other a happy and prosperous coming year. Many Americans make New Year's resolutions.

Martin Luther King Day is a federal holiday celebrated on the third Monday in January. The Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. was an African-American clergyman who is recognized for his tireless efforts to win civil rights for all people through nonviolent means.

Groundhog Day is February 2, and has been celebrated since 1887. On Groundhog Day, crowds gather in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, to see if groundhog Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow after emerging from his burrow, thus predicting six more weeks of winter weather.

Valentine's Day is celebrated on February 14. The day was named after an early Christian martyr, and on Valentine's Day, Americans give presents like candy or flowers to the ones they love. The first mass-produced valentine cards were sold in the 1840s.

Washington's Birthday is a federal holiday observed the third Monday of February to honor George Washington, the first President of the United States. This date is commonly called Presidents' Day and many groups honor the legacy of past presidents on this date.

Easter falls on a spring Sunday that varies from year to year. Easter is a Christian holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. For Christians, Easter is a day of religious services and the gathering of family. Many Americans follow old traditions of coloring hard-boiled eggs and giving children baskets of candy.

Earth Day is observed on April 22. First celebrated in 1970 in the United States, it inspired national legislation such as the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts. Earth Day is designed to promote ecology, encourage respect for life on earth, and highlight concern over pollution of the soil, air, and water.

National Arbor Day was proclaimed as the last Friday in April by President Richard Nixon in 1970. A number of state Arbor Days are observed at other times to coincide with the best tree planting weather, from January and February in the south to May in the far north. The observance began in 1872, when Nebraska settlers and homesteaders were urged to plant trees on the largely treeless plains.

Mother's Day celebrates mothers every second Sunday of May. President Woodrow Wilson, who issued a proclamation in 1914, asked Americans to give a public expression of reverence to mothers on this day. Carnations have come to represent Mother's Day, following President William McKinley's habit of always wearing a white carnation, his mother's favorite flower.

Memorial Day is a federal holiday observed the last Monday of May. It originally honored the people killed in the American Civil War, but has become a day on which the American dead of all wars, and the dead generally, are remembered in special programs held in cemeteries, churches, and other public meeting places. The flying of the American flag is widespread.

Flag Day, celebrated June 14, has been a presidentially proclaimed observance since 1916. Although Flag Day is not a federal holiday, Americans are encouraged to display the flag outside their homes and businesses on this day to honor the history and heritage the American flag represents.

Father's Day celebrates fathers every third Sunday of June. Father's Day began in 1909 in Spokane, Washington, when a daughter requested a special day to honor her father, a Civil War veteran who raised his children after his wife died. The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 by President Lyndon Johnson.

Independence Day is July 4. This federal holiday honors the nation's birthday - the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. It is a day of picnics and patriotic parades, a night of concerts and fireworks. The flying of the American flag is widespread.

Labor Day is the first Monday of September. This federal holiday honors the nation's working people, typically with parades. For most Americans it marks the end of the summer vacation season and the start of the school year.

Columbus Day is a federal holiday celebrated on the second Monday in October. The day commemorates October 12, 1492, when Italian navigator Christopher Columbus landed in the New World. The holiday was first proclaimed in 1937 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Halloween is celebrated on October 31. On Halloween, American children dress up in funny or scary costumes and go "trick or treating" by knocking on doors in their neighborhood. The neighbors are expected to respond by giving them small gifts of candy or money.

Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11. Originally called Armistice Day, this federal holiday was established to honor Americans who had served in World War I, but it now honors veterans of all wars in which the U.S. has fought. Veterans' organizations hold parades, and the president places a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Thanksgiving Day is a federal holiday celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. In the fall of 1621, the Pilgrims held a three-day feast to celebrate a bountiful harvest. Many regard this event as the nation's first Thanksgiving.The Thanksgiving feast became a national tradition and almost always includes some of the foods served at the first feast: roast turkey, cranberry sauce, potatoes, and pumpkin pie.

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is December 7. In 1994, Congress designated this national observance to honor the more than 2,400 military service personnel who died on this date in 1941, during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, by Japanese forces. The attack on Pearl Harbor caused the United States to enter World War II.

Christmas Day is a federal holiday celebrated on December 25. Christmas is a Christian holiday marking the birth of the Christ Child. Decorating houses and yards with lights, putting up Christmas trees, giving gifts, and sending greeting cards have become holiday traditions even for many non-Christian Americans. Find holiday tips to help you celebrate.

Other Celebrations
Various ethnic and religious groups in America celebrate days with special meaning to them even though these are not national holidays. Jews, for example, observe their high holy days in September, Muslims celebrate Ramadan, African Americans celebrate Kwanzaa, Irish Americans celebrate the old country's patron saint, St. Patrick, on March 17, and Mardi Gras is the day before the Christian season of Lent begins and is a big occasion in New Orleans, Louisiana, where huge parades and wild revels take place. There are many other such religious and ethnic celebrations in the United States.

American Holidays | USA.gov

Gee, no federal Native American day. I wonder why...
Gee you still haven't pointed out a whites only federal holiday.

What's up with Arizona?

After a Latino state legislator proposed a Latino American Day, lawmaker Cecil Ash stepped up before the legislature to suggest a holiday for white people. Seriously.

This is, after all, the land of S.B. 1070, the contentious and draconian immigration enforcement bill that has been mired in legal deadlock since it was signed into law by Gov. Jan Brewer (R) in 2010. The legislation, considered the strictest of its kind when it was passed, is to be ruled upon by the Supreme Court later this year.

It's also home to Russell Pearce, the former Republican state senator credited with laying down the framework for the state's controversial immigration law.

And who can forget the ever-graceful Brewer, stateswoman and author, wagging her finger dismissively in the face of President Obama at an airport in Phoenix last month?

And the swashbuckling Sheriff Joe Arpaio lives there, too. He proclaimed himself "America's Toughest Sheriff," and now finds himself ensnared in a U.S. Justice Department investigation accusing his department of racially profiling Latinos, basing immigration enforcement on racially charged citizen complaints and punishing Hispanic jail inmates for speaking Spanish.

Enter Cecil Ash, a Republican from Mesa, who feels that what Arizona needs now is an official holiday for white folks.

The idea apparently came to Ash after state Rep. Richard Miranda proposed a Latino American Day. "I wanted to speak to you all about Latino Americans here in Arizona," Miranda said on the House floor Monday.

After some debate, Ash stepped forward with his grand idea.

"I'm supportive of this proposition and I think it's well deserved," he said. "I just want them to assure me that when we do become in the minority you'll have a day for us."

There was laughter on the House floor. On CBS 5 News, reporter Elizabeth Erwin introduced her story on the latest state controversy saying, "You can't make this stuff up." No you can't.

On the street, a random woman in a baseball cap said Ash's proposal made sense. Of course. "Like they have Cinco de Mayo for Mexicans," she told CBS 5 News, "we need something for whites." Only in Arizona.

Ash, for his part, wasn't backing down.

"I think it was appropriate," he told the station, referring to his proposed holiday. "It was appropriate for the mood that was in the House and I think that if and when the Caucasian population becomes a minority, they may want to celebrate the accomplishments and the contributions of the Caucasian population the same way."

Maybe Ash is onto something. Consider the talk of a Caucasian history month on the social networking site Tumblr. For real. No joke.

Cecil Ash, Arizona State Lawmaker, Proposes Holiday For White People (VIDEO)

Racism is alive and well in the United States...what else is new

Black racism, latino racism, asian racism, and white racism.

Last edited:
Gee you still haven't pointed out a whites only federal holiday.

Well.....the liberal argument will be that every day is a whites only federal holiday. :cuckoo:

Remember, according to most liberals the United States is evil, Republicans are evil, God is evil, and yes....whites are evil too.

OH shit. I suppose I should ask folk to stop repping me when I reach 666, huh?

What's up with Arizona?

After a Latino state legislator proposed a Latino American Day, lawmaker Cecil Ash stepped up before the legislature to suggest a holiday for white people. Seriously.

This is, after all, the land of S.B. 1070, the contentious and draconian immigration enforcement bill that has been mired in legal deadlock since it was signed into law by Gov. Jan Brewer (R) in 2010. The legislation, considered the strictest of its kind when it was passed, is to be ruled upon by the Supreme Court later this year.

It's also home to Russell Pearce, the former Republican state senator credited with laying down the framework for the state's controversial immigration law.

And who can forget the ever-graceful Brewer, stateswoman and author, wagging her finger dismissively in the face of President Obama at an airport in Phoenix last month?

And the swashbuckling Sheriff Joe Arpaio lives there, too. He proclaimed himself "America's Toughest Sheriff," and now finds himself ensnared in a U.S. Justice Department investigation accusing his department of racially profiling Latinos, basing immigration enforcement on racially charged citizen complaints and punishing Hispanic jail inmates for speaking Spanish.

Enter Cecil Ash, a Republican from Mesa, who feels that what Arizona needs now is an official holiday for white folks.

The idea apparently came to Ash after state Rep. Richard Miranda proposed a Latino American Day. "I wanted to speak to you all about Latino Americans here in Arizona," Miranda said on the House floor Monday.

"I'm supportive of this proposition and I think it's well deserved," he said. "I just want them to assure me that when we do become in the minority you'll have a day for us."

There was laughter on the House floor. On CBS 5 News, reporter Elizabeth Erwin introduced her story on the latest state controversy saying, "You can't make this stuff up." No you can't.

On the street, a random woman in a baseball cap said Ash's proposal made sense. Of course. "Like they have Cinco de Mayo for Mexicans," she told CBS 5 News, "we need something for whites." Only in Arizona.

Ash, for his part, wasn't backing down.

"I think it was appropriate," he told the station, referring to his proposed holiday. "It was appropriate for the mood that was in the House and I think that if and when the Caucasian population becomes a minority, they may want to celebrate the accomplishments and the contributions of the Caucasian population the same way."

Maybe Ash is onto something. Consider the talk of a Caucasian history month on the social networking site Tumblr. For real. No joke.

Cecil Ash, Arizona State Lawmaker, Proposes Holiday For White People (VIDEO)

Racism is alive and well in the United States...what else is new

Yup! The OP is a perfect example.

If it is OK to have a government recognized holiday based on one race, it is ok to have one based on another.... And if it is not ok for one, it is not ok for any

See... equality in treatment by government under law... unfortunately it is not what we see in our current government at any level

Is "African-American" a race?

is *stupid* a destiny?

I always appreciate your answers, del. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Arizona State Lawmaker Proposes Holiday For White People

I'd like to take a holiday from being White.

I guess you could say I have a panderin' to be Mandarin

lol at leftists making a big deal about this.

So this politician Ash completely logicowned politician Miranda and leftists are butthurt. Cool story bro.

Don't you think someone should tell these morons that according to the laws of Biology there are only 3 or 4 races depending on who is dividing them up.

***Caucasian races (Aryans, Hamites, Semites)

***Mongolian races (northern Mongolian, Chinese and Indo-Chinese, Japanese and Korean,Tibetan, Malayan, Polynesian, Maori, Micronesian, Eskimo, American Indian),

***Negroid races (African, Hottentots, Melanesians/Papua, “Negrito”, Australian Aborigine, Dravidians, Sinhalese)

What these idiots call race is in reality ethnicity aka cultural background. Most Hispanics are mixed race - American Indian and Caucasian. However, almost daily we hear someone refer to Hispanics as a race. They also believe Jews make up their own race as well as the people in the Middle East.

While I am very concerned that anywhere in this country, racist politicians are able to pass legislation that clearly conflicts with the intention of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, I am much more troubled by the ignorance openly displayed by those politicians. [

The trend is to elect the most ignorant flagrant abuser of the truth around, so they can make ignorant bigoted policies that the rest of us are forced to live with. There is no doubt the country will survive this economic downturn. However no amount of money or medical know-how can cure the ignorance this country is infected with.

If you think education is expensive, wait until to see the bill for ignorance.

Au contraire. That's a fallacy. There's only ONE race: Human

Don't you think someone should tell these morons that according to the laws of Biology there are only 3 or 4 races depending on who is dividing them up…

Or consider the fact there is no such thing as ‘race’ at all:

Human races are a myth, biologically speaking.

The recently completed Human Genome Sequencing Project confirmed what many scientists knew all along - that humans don't fit the biological criteria that defines race.
The revelation strikes at the heart of some of the most deeply entrenched social, cultural and political divisions among Americans. But some experts say our conception of race is not likely to be swayed by the DNA evidence.

Genetically speaking, there's no such thing as race

The last sentence is quite true, unfortunately.

Or consider the fact there is no such thing as ‘race’ at all:

Human races are a myth, biologically speaking.

The recently completed Human Genome Sequencing Project confirmed what many scientists knew all along - that humans don't fit the biological criteria that defines race.
The revelation strikes at the heart of some of the most deeply entrenched social, cultural and political divisions among Americans. But some experts say our conception of race is not likely to be swayed by the DNA evidence.

Genetically speaking, there's no such thing as race

The last sentence is quite true, unfortunately.

That's bullshit, actually. There is no such thing as race only according to their arbitrary definition of the term. However, even school children can see the obvious physical differences between human beings. Defining race as a difference in some arbitrary number of genes is the work of demagogues, not scientists.

I love it! Go Arizona! It sounds like to me these people in Arizona have had enough of the bullshit. So have I.

I bet it would piss off the browns and the blacks if we had a "white history month. just guessing.. I'd like White History Month to be in April. The whole month of beautiful soft April.

I was kinding hoping September could be White History Month. Also, I think using the term "white" to describe me is offensive. I want a new term.

How about:

1) Person of lighter-color
2) American-American
3) Person of American Decent

Is it racist that the usmessageboard has an entirely white background, with the only pixels that are black regulated to the letter spots?

Don't we have enough holidays already?

BTW the answer is yes, we have enough holidays already.

Forum List

Back