Arizona Senate Passes Bill Allowing Business Owners To Refuse Service To Gays

I think another state passed something similar to this last week so this must be a trend that is catching on. I agree with this bill that if you are a business owner and believe in and live by your faith that you should be able to refuse service to whoever you want.

Arizona Senate: Business owners can cite religion to refuse service to gays

You thread title and the article title are incorrect, the bill allows for a business to refuse service to anyone, which means:

Service can be refused to races

Service can be refused to other religions

Service can be refused to interracial couples

Service can be refused to women (or men)

Service can be refused to divorcees

Service can be refused basically to anyone, not just the gays​

All the person has to do is claim "a sincerely held religious belief", and as the law is written it doesn't even need to be dogma within a major religion - it is the individuals belief. From the law ""Exercise of religion" means the practice or observance of religion, including the ability to act or refusal to act in a manner substantially motivated by a religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief."

Arizona SB1062

>>>>

Why does it have to be a religious belief? This isn't a freedom of religion issue. It's freedom of association issue.

I think another state passed something similar to this last week so this must be a trend that is catching on. I agree with this bill that if you are a business owner and believe in and live by your faith that you should be able to refuse service to whoever you want.

You thread title and the article title are incorrect, the bill allows for a business to refuse service to anyone, which means:

Service can be refused to races

Service can be refused to other religions

Service can be refused to interracial couples

Service can be refused to women (or men)

Service can be refused to divorcees

Service can be refused basically to anyone, not just the gays​

All the person has to do is claim "a sincerely held religious belief", and as the law is written it doesn't even need to be dogma within a major religion - it is the individuals belief. From the law ""Exercise of religion" means the practice or observance of religion, including the ability to act or refusal to act in a manner substantially motivated by a religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief."

Arizona SB1062

>>>>

Why does it have to be a religious belief? This isn't a freedom of religion issue. It's freedom of association issue.

You'd have to ask the Senators from the great State of Arizona why it's only personally held religious beliefs that qualify.

>>>>

Some much for "love the sinner and only hate the sin".

These people are all about hate, hate, hate across the board.

Why do they continue to call themselves Christians?

Christ never said a goddamn word about Gays.

The only "man lies with man" line in the OT is taken way out of historical / cultural context.

These are the same people who used the bible to justify slavery.

These are the same people who used the bible to justify segregation.

And now they're again using to the bible to justify their own fears and insecurities.

Well, all I can say is I hope the good citizens of Arizona--(all of them) refuse to do business with any company that would do this.

It reminds me of white only and black only bathrooms. That didn't survive in the 50's in the south--and as the decades have long now passed we are a much better country for being inclusive of "everyone"--regardless of race.

Gays do not "choose" to be gay. There is no man or woman that wakes up one morning and decides to have sex with the same sex.

Last edited:
it violates the 1964 civil rights act?

No it doesn't. How many restaurants or businesses have you ever been in that had a sign that read "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone!"? I've been in tons of them all over. It should be up to me who I want to serve and who I do not, the making of a profit is on me and only me. America is about freedom, let people choose who they choose to associate with, not forced.

You can pretend your business has the right to refuse service to a person of color, but you don't.

It is against the law and that law has been upheld as constitutional.

Wait, where does the constitution tell a business who they can serve again, be specific....

the fact that a business would need a law to return a freedom that should have never been taken away is why we need a new rollback in this nation

No it doesn't. How many restaurants or businesses have you ever been in that had a sign that read "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone!"? I've been in tons of them all over. It should be up to me who I want to serve and who I do not, the making of a profit is on me and only me. America is about freedom, let people choose who they choose to associate with, not forced.

You can pretend your business has the right to refuse service to a person of color, but you don't.

It is against the law and that law has been upheld as constitutional.

Wait, where does the constitution tell a business who they can serve again, be specific....

uh... general welfare!!

The fact that we even have a law, or debate the legailty of freedom of association is pathetic in a supposedly free country. A business owner, in any state, for any reason, should be allowed to determine who they will provide services to.

But, LOLberals just love the idea of forcing people to do what they believe is right.

it is not as cut and dry as you make it sound.

You will have towns in America where blacks will either have to move, travel long distances for goods and services, or die of starvation.

Yes, we are a free people. But "people" must include all of us. If it doesn't, then we will have groups of people that are not free.

Bullshit.

You might have businesses that may force blacks to pull up their fucking pants and act like the sort of conservative blacks they're programmed to hate because such people are "uncle toms", but they'll still be able to find people willing to conduct business with those who cling to the "thug life". Just from behind bullet resistant glass.

If anyone is forced to conduct commerce with someone who reduces the quality of the environment in their establishment, that is far more egregious than a business owner refusing to serve someone even if they're a racist asshole.

The rest of us can choose not to do business with the racist asshole, but at least you don't have to look at some thug's fucking boxer shorts as they walk by your booth.

The fact that we even have a law, or debate the legailty of freedom of association is pathetic in a supposedly free country. A business owner, in any state, for any reason, should be allowed to determine who they will provide services to.

But, LOLberals just love the idea of forcing people to do what they believe is right.

it is not as cut and dry as you make it sound.

You will have towns in America where blacks will either have to move, travel long distances for goods and services, or die of starvation.

Yes, we are a free people. But "people" must include all of us. If it doesn't, then we will have groups of people that are not free.[/QUOTE

bullshit

follow the old rule
if there is a demand for a product of service ..legal or other wise somebody will come forward to provide it
..in this case IF all the restaurants in that town refused to serve blacks /guys jews etc somebody will come along and open a blacks/gays /jews prefered restaurant and sight religiuos mantra IT WORKS BOTH WAYS

Last edited:
Why are people so determined to force their beliefs on others. Why does it matter if someone has a different religion, sexual orientation, race, or shoe size?

What religion says that you can't allow certain people in your store? It's not like a gay person is going to go into someone's store and try to force the owner to do some gay sacrilegious act.

Who is this law protecting?

From what?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion....."

It reminds me of white only and black only bathrooms. That didn't survive in the 50's in the south--and as the decades have long now passed we are a much better country for being inclusive of "everyone"--regardless of race.
I lived in Mississippi in 1969 and the restrooms were segregated. So was school from the 12th to the 4th grade.
Gays do not "choose" to be gay. There is no man or woman that wakes up one morning and decides to have sex with the same sex.
Human sexuality is as complicated as humans are but it's completely different than race. Segregation laws were illegal because not all people were treated the same under the law. Unless a man is having sex with his male partner at the restaurant table the issue wouldn't come up. Homosexuality isn't a rece or gender no matter how hard the propagandists try to make it so.

Why are people so determined to force their beliefs on others. Why does it matter if someone has a different religion, sexual orientation, race, or shoe size?

What religion says that you can't allow certain people in your store? It's not like a gay person is going to go into someone's store and try to force the owner to do some gay sacrilegious act.

Who is this law protecting?

From what?

Agreed. And it's not like the store owner is forcing anything on the gay people by not doing business with them. Why not let people live how they want?

Interesting, imo. Trent Lott's comments on "old Strom" that led to Lott's political demise were perhaps misinterpreted. What he tried to say was that had congress not forced private biz's to serve African americans, then eventually markets would have done the same thing. Wal-Mart loves everyone's money, and can under sell any other biz.

Why not let people live how they want?
That would make things far too easy. What would government get people all riled up over and push for laws to force people to do this or that, or ban them from x, y and z if people minded their own business?

That idea was lost over 200 years ago now here, and it barely ever saw the light of day in the first place. It's ahuman condition thing. There are a handful of us still wondering WTF the rest of these people took that make them believe they have the moral, ethical or physical authority to tell others what to do. It's the cause of about 99% of all human problems.

Peoplpe need to NAP big time.

Forum List

Back