Arizona law is constitutional

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Three USD professors say Arizona law is constitutional
Controversial immigration law violates civil rights, critics say

Arizona's controversial new immigration law probably would withstand legal challenges on constitutional grounds, according to a panel of three University of San Diego law professors.
However, the professors said the law “could” create problems, such as racial profiling, if it is not implemented properly.
The professors spoke Thursday during a panel discussion on UC San Diego's campus in La Jolla hosted by the Institute of the Americas, an organization that promotes cooperation between the U.S. and Latin America.
Arizona's law, Senate Bill 1070, requires police officers to check a person's immigration status if they have a "reasonable suspicion" the person is in the country illegally. It makes it a state crime to be in the country without legal documentation; it already is a federal crime.
Critics say the law, which takes effect later this year, “could “ lead to racial profiling of Latinos and other ethnic minorities. Some Latino and civil rights groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, say they plan to challenge the law in court.
Those groups say the Arizona law also violates the U.S. Constitution by interfering with federal immigration power and authority.
Professor Lawrence Alexander, who teaches constitutional law at USD, said that argument would fail because the Arizona law does not conflict with federal immigration law. The state law is only seeking to enforce the federal law, he said.
"I don't see anything in this law that is going to fail a challenge on the grounds of federal supremacy," Alexander said.
Alexander was a panelist along with professors Donald Dripps, a scholar on criminal law, and Maimon Schwarzschild, who specializes in constitutional law. Former U.S. Ambassador Jeffrey Davidow, who is president of the Institute of the Americas, served as moderator.
Supporters said the law was needed due to the federal government's failure to secure the border.
In response, several cities across the country have passed resolutions or urged boycotts to protest the law, including Oakland and San Diego. On Tuesday, San Francisco city supervisors approved a resolution that urges a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and asks sports leagues not to hold championship games or tournaments there.
About 50 people attended the panel discussion at UCSD, including students, attorneys and immigration rights advocates. About a dozen people who spoke during a question-and-answer session criticized the law.
"The problem is the application of the law," said San Diego immigration attorney Lilia Velasquez. "On the ground, (the) Border Patrol or the police officers in Arizona will arrest people based on their race and maybe solely on their race."
Under the law, police officers who detain a person, such as in a traffic stop, are required to question a person about his or her immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the United States illegally.
The panelists agreed that defining what constitutes "reasonable suspicion" could be problematic. But that alone does not render the law unconstitutional, Alexander said.
"Could a police officer overstep the bounds and do something that the Constitution does not permit? Of course," he said. "Police officers can do that now. They can do that without the law, but the law itself does not authorize anything that is unconstitutional."
The Arizona law, which said that race or ethnicity cannot be the only factor prompting a police officer to ask a person's immigration status, was later amended to say that race could not be considered at all in questioning a person's status.
Dripps said the U.S. Supreme Court has said that a person's apparent Mexican ancestry can be a factor in stopping someone for an immigration stop by immigration agents. The question, he said, is whether that authority would also apply to police officers asking someone about his or her immigration status.
Schwarzschild also raised questions about whether the law could be discriminatory.
"I think the answer there is: It could. In the way that it is enforced," Schwarzschild said. "But it certainly doesn't, on its face."
REGION: Three USD professors say Arizona law is constitutional

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Obama who is a Constitional lawyer already know this, so why is he bringing a suit aginst Arizona? Purely political to say to Hispanics that he tried. He will try Immigration Reform for the very same reason. He knows it will fail also.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If men were fundamentally good,
government would not be necessary"

Last edited:
No question it is legal. And more states are will follow suit.

'Obama who is a Constitional lawyer already know this, so why is he bringing a suit aginst Arizona? Purely political to say to Hispanics that he tried. He will try Immigration Reform for the very same reason. He knows it will fail also.'

Of course he knew - he just loves to grandstand. Hope if he tries a reform it will fail.
Yesterday I was at a graduation ceremony. When we finished the Pledge to the Flag someone shouted - viva Mexico! It made me sick as I know the reason they did it was to show that they were not supporting the Pledge of Allegiance. They hurt themselves more than anybody else. The best thing to do is ignore the idiots - which everybody did. WE have to show more class as they have none.

'Obama who is a Constitional lawyer already know this, so why is he bringing a suit aginst Arizona? Purely political to say to Hispanics that he tried. He will try Immigration Reform for the very same reason. He knows it will fail also.'

Of course he knew - he just loves to grandstand. Hope if he tries a reform it will fail.
Yesterday I was at a graduation ceremony. When we finished the Pledge to the Flag someone shouted - viva Mexico! It made me sick as I know the reason they did it was to show that they were not supporting the Pledge of Allegiance. They hurt themselves more than anybody else. The best thing to do is ignore the idiots - which everybody did. WE have to show more class as they have none.

Angelhair, we have to shuck the class and get down and dirty as they are, It is the only language they understand and then they will back away. Remember the tea baggers?
Class will get us no where witht these people. They fight dirty and we fight dirtier.

Of course it's Constitutional. The people who wrote it very carefully did so with an eye toward this exact thing. I find it sad myself that state legislators have to anticipate the President trying to undermine their states, but they DID anticipate that very thing.

when a new law is passed, and there is a question as to whether or not it is "constitutional", many folks, like the three professors listed in the OP, can have "opinions" on the question..... but until the Supremes weigh in on it, it is all just speculation.

when a new law is passed, and there is a question as to whether or not it is "constitutional", many folks, like the three professors listed in the OP, can have "opinions" on the question..... but until the Supremes weigh in on it, it is all just speculation.

Ya except for that whole thing of the Arizona law mirroring the federal law. Once again if this goes to court then what is being said is that the Federal law is Unconstitutional.

Ya except for that whole thing of the Arizona law mirroring the federal law. Once again if this goes to court then what is being said is that the Federal law is Unconstitutional.

I really, REALLY wish one of these people who keeping parroting, "Unconstitutional!" would explain exactly HOW SB1070 is Unconstitutional, preferably with an actual citation FROM the Constitution.

I really, REALLY wish one of these people who keeping parroting, "Unconstitutional!" would explain exactly HOW SB1070 is Unconstitutional, preferably with an actual citation FROM the Constitution.

I happen to believe that this Bill is constitutional, however Article 1 Section 8 is what they will argue. This section lists specific powers of Congress

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

and the people that wrote this Bill know this exactly that is why they EXACTLY mirrored the Federal law, They will argue that their law is in fact uniform to the federal law and that states that do NOT mirror the federal law are the ones in violation of the CON, not the ones who mirror the Federal law.

I really don't see how they lose this one, I think Obama knows it to.

I happen to believe that this Bill is constitutional, however Article 1 Section 8 is what they will argue. This section lists specific powers of Congress

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

and the people that wrote this Bill know this exactly that is why they EXACTLY mirrored the Federal law, They will argue that their law is in fact uniform to the federal law and that states that do NOT mirror the federal law are the ones in violation of the CON, not the ones who mirror the Federal law.

Besides, nothing about that says that ONLY the federal government gets to enforce immigration law, just that they get to ESTABLISH it. As far as I know, there's nothing in the Constitution saying that states can't have laws against the same things the federal government has laws against.

Besides, nothing about that says that ONLY the federal government gets to enforce immigration law, just that they get to ESTABLISH it. As far as I know, there's nothing in the Constitution saying that states can't have laws against the same things the federal government has laws against.

Again, they will argue the same clause and they will argue that the federal law states that the federal government alone is responsible for enforcing the federal law on immigrations. Here they will run into two problems.

1) The state will be enforcing a state law not a federal law

2) The federal government itself has in fact empowered state and local employees to assist ICE in arresting illegals since 1996 with a program called 287(g)

Partners

I see noway they can win this. The state is within the law. I think even Obama knows it.

Forum List

Back