Arizona Gov. suspends state's attorney general from case

The Arizona AG won't defend the anti-illegal law? Then the Governor did the right thing in telling him to step down.

Due to Attorney General Goddard’s curious coordination with the U.S. Department of Justice today and his consistent opposition to Arizona’s new immigration laws, I will direct my legal team to defend me and the State of Arizona rather than the Attorney General in the lawsuits challenging Arizona’s immigration laws.

Dante, thankies for this story...I especially liked the part where it is reported that Obama, US AG Holder, Homeland Security Chief Napolitano and the White House staff have not yet READ the AZ anti-illegal law.

Obama folks having real t-r-o-u-b-l-e reading the new A-r-i-z-o-n-a illegal immigrant l-a-w | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Here's the text of the law, in case anyone NOT employed by the Obama Administration would like to read it:

Read for yourself: The full text of Arizona's controversial illegal immigrant law | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

I like this lady. Brewer for President, anyone?

AzGovernor.jpg

Would you want your lawyer meeting with the other side, and holding pressers to denounce your case? His job is to defend the law, not help the other side to overturn it. He should be brought up on ethics charges and disbarred.

Would you want your lawyer meeting with the other side, and holding pressers to denounce your case? His job is to defend the law, not help the other side to overturn it. He should be brought up on ethics charges and disbarred.

It's NOT the OTHER side. It's the government's side. Even Obama and Bush have sent their admins lawyers to defend things they said they didn't agree with. The lawyer represents the government's view, not the OTHER side.

you people need tto beef up on how Attns' General and government lawyers work.

It's NOT the OTHER side. It's the government's side. Even Obama and Bush have sent their admins lawyers to defend things they said they didn't agree with. The lawyer represents the government's view, not the OTHER side.

Dante, when a lawyer is employed by the government, there is some blurring of the line between client and lawyer -- some lawyers who do government work feel honor-bound to help shape policy, others don't -- but NO lawyer has 100% freedom from the ethics rules, and in every state, advocacy for the client is a part of the ethics rules. If the AZ AG met in secret with the opposition, he may well have a HUGE problem with the AZ Bar Association.

ER 1.2 SCOPE OF REPRESENTATION AND ALLOCATION OF AUTHORITY BETWEEN CLIENT AND LAWYER

(a) Subject to paragraphs (c) and (d), a lawyer shall abide by a client's decisions concerning the objectives of representation and, as required by ER 1.4, shall consult with the client as to the means by which they are to be pursued. A lawyer may take such action on behalf of the client as is impliedly authorized to carry out the representation. A lawyer shall abide by a client's decision whether to settle a matter. In a criminal case, the lawyer shall abide by the client's decision, after consultation with the lawyer, as to a plea to be entered, whether to waive jury trial and whether the client will testify.

(b) A lawyer's representation of a client, including representation by appointment, does not constitute an endorsement of the client's political, economic, social or moral views or activities.

(c) A lawyer may limit the scope of the representation if the limitation is reasonable under the circumstances and the client gives informed consent.

(d) A lawyer shall not counsel a client to engage, or assist a client, in conduct that the lawyer knows is criminal or fraudulent, but a lawyer may discuss the legal consequences of any proposed course of conduct with a client and may counsel or assist a client to make a good faith effort to determine the validity, scope, meaning or application of the law.

[Comment][Narrative]

ER 1.3 DILIGENCE

A lawyer shall act with reasonable diligence and promptness in representing a client.

Arizona Rules of Professional Conduct

The attorney general of New Mexico is charged with defending the laws and people of Arizona, not the United States. If the feds sue Arizona it his job to defend against them, not meet with them and plan a strategy to defeat it, and hold press conferences denouncing it.

So, please, explain to me again how attorney generals work.

Last edited:
Dante, give it up. Quantum Windbag and I only agree once or twice a year. The stars are aligned against you here, buddy.

Great Op, though. You do some truly outstanding ones, Dante.

New Topics

Forum List

Back