Arizona Daily Star Endorses.... OBAMA!

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
:oops:

Barack Obama for president | www.azstarnet.com ®

We see America the way Barack Obama sees America. Our future requires a steady, intelligent and, as former Secretary of State Colin Powell said, a "transformational" leader to guide us into a new era. Obama brings deep intellectual curiosity, equanimity and discipline. The ground under America is moving. A generational change is under way with or without Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., or Barack Obama, D-Ill. The core concerns are more about the future than the past, be it eight years ago or one day ago. They are about the moment and the movement to engage Americans in ways not seen before, especially against a backdrop of economic strife unmatched since the Great Depression. McCain is correct that it's time to stand up. "Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history," he said at the Republican National Convention. However, the ways of the past, which we believe McCain understands, will not work in this new America. The future requires new tools and new expertise. A premium must be placed on more than just love of country. We must re-embrace American ideals and lead the world on a stronger path to prosperity and peace. The time is now and the leader is Barack Obama. The Star endorses Obama for president of the United States.
Like a race car driver going into a turn, a leader must see not only what confronts our nation today but envision where we come out on the other side. Obama sees how the United States is connected to other nations through our economic, immigration, national security and energy policies. No one can thrive alone. Obama sees a foreign policy where force is but one tool. He envisions countries collaborating to confront bad actors and shared challenges such as global warming, poverty, terrorism, disease and religious extremism. Obama sees a health-care system in which children can go to the doctor and families aren't forced into bankruptcy by medical bills. He experienced the same hardships many American families face. While his mother was dying of cancer, she battled her insurance company for care. He embraces the strength of the free market, but sees that, in the United States today, the market doesn't meet people's health-care needs. He knows the heavy toll that inequitable public policies take on people's lives. We agree with Obama that health care should be as affordable and accessible to as many people as possible. Obama sees an economy creating jobs through innovation, helping families stay in their homes and lifting the middle class and small businesses. He would reduce taxes for the majority of Americans and not raise taxes on those making less than $250,000. Obama sees education as an investment in America's prosperity, political system and national security. He would expand early childhood education and protect funding for public schools. A college education is out of reach for many Americans. He would help make it more affordable through tuition tax credits. He's proved himself with his nuanced understanding of complicated issues. His vision is not built on rhetoric. He offers substantive, detailed policies and the acumen to make these changes a reality. He demonstrates leadership by surrounding himself with smart people who will strengthen his administration. For vice president Obama chose Joseph Biden, a U.S. senator with 35 years of experience, a foreign policy expert qualified to be president. Obama made a responsible, pragmatic and intelligent choice that shows us he puts the nation above party politics. This moment in history requires courage to change. Our nation must find a way to restore the confidence that our government is of the people, by the people, for the people — all of our people. We share Obama's vision of America. And we share his urgency.

Nowhere else in the country do voters know John McCain like Arizonans know John McCain.

Voters here have sent McCain to Washington, D.C., on their behalf five times since his first election to Congress in 1982. As much as an electorate can, we know this man.

We have seen the irascible McCain. The bawdy and irreverent McCain. And, yes, the temperamental McCain. Likewise, we here in Arizona have seen the former Navy pilot and war hero evolve - slowly and with lots of fits and starts - into a statesman.
We have witnessed John McCain become a leader - not only of a delegation from a fast-growing Southwestern state, but into a national leader with a reassuring habit of stepping to the front when things seemed most difficult.

Nobody in the country knows the Republican presidential candidate better than we do. And no one is better placed to judge whether he would serve honorably and admirably as president of the United States.

We are confident he will. The Arizona Republic proudly recommends John McCain for president.

McCain: A leader for these times

David, you know what the largest daily paper in Arizona is? that would be the one I just posted by far. So while I know it means a lot as an Obama supporter to find something to cheer about here in Arizona, I can assure you, that this is one state Barack Obama should not be focusing attention on.

David, you know what the largest daily paper in Arizona is? that would be the one I just posted by far. So while I know it means a lot as an Obama supporter to find something to cheer about here in Arizona, I can assure you, that this is one state Barack Obama should not be focusing attention on.

I think that's irrelevant. Everybody minimized when the Chicago Tribune endorsed Obama. They said it was only because Obama was a hometown boy and of course they would endorse Obama.

Now, a newspaper with about 120,000 circulation, a hometown newspaper of John McCain's, has endorsed Obama. What I find interesting is not only did this newspaper endorse Obama, but you rushed as quickly as you could to minimize this endorsement as much as you could.

I must tell you, I find that quite interesting.

I can assure you, that this is one state Barack Obama should not be focusing attention on.

Navy, I have to disagree with you on this point. The smartest thing Obama can do is to focus, although not heavily, on Arizona.

As we are aware, the McCain camp is working on a limited budget compared to Obama. The more the Obama camp pushes in Arizona, the more the McCain camp has to push back. This accomplishes two things:

1. McCain is forced to spend his already limited funds in a state that I'm sure he believed was locked up from the beginning.

2. It creates a media buzz with soundbites of, "McCain does not even have a large lead in his home state."

Most people understand that Obama will not win Arizona, but in the process the Obama camp is forcing the McCain camp to play defense in a state which McCain never thought he would have to do so.

And in doing so they are forcing the McCain camp to take their eye off the ball (even slightly) in the swing states which are much more critical to McCain.

From that perspective it is a major win for the Obama camp.

I think that's irrelevant. Everybody minimized when the Chicago Tribune endorsed Obama. They said it was only because Obama was a hometown boy and of course they would endorse Obama.

Now, a newspaper with about 120,000 circulation, a hometown newspaper of John McCain's, has endorsed Obama. What I find interesting is not only did this newspaper endorse Obama, but you rushed as quickly as you could to minimize this endorsement as much as you could.

I must tell you, I find that quite interesting.

No what I see David, is lately this impression that Barack Obama and many of his supporters are trying to give of the state of the race here in Arizona. First, David I live here, and when I see misleading information and have seen it for some time now about the very state I live in then I will counter it no matter who is saying it. Misleading information is designed to give people the impression that Barack Obama will win Arizona and I can tell you David , your spinning your wheels. Your posting is rather like me finding a local paper there in NY where you live with a small circulation and then using that as an example as how well John McCain is doing in the state of NY. That would be misleading on my part, I don't live there and have no idea what the demographics are there and have never voted there. The other thing you have never seen me do is try to mislead people with posting local Il. papers to leave the impression that John McCain will win Barack Obama's homestate. No offense David, but you get your information from polls , and I live here and have voted here, and can assure you that Barack Obama will not win Arizona and I didn't even vote for John McCain. You do realize that year after year here, ASU polls in Tempe and Mesa and Phoenix and never Sun City or Sun Lakes. Do you also know where the largest voting block in the valley is? That would be those very same retriement communities that have in the last election an over 95% turnout and about 800,000 registered voters of which 78% of them are Republican. While I know your happy about Barack Obama's chances David it is a little misleading to over the last several days leave the impression that Barack Obama will somehow win Arizona, when that possibility is remote at best.

Navy, I have to disagree with you on this point. The smartest thing Obama can do is to focus, although not heavily, on Arizona.

As we are aware, the McCain camp is working on a limited budget compared to Obama. The more the Obama camp pushes in Arizona, the more the McCain camp has to push back. This accomplishes two things:

1. McCain is forced to spend his already limited funds in a state that I'm sure he believed was locked up from the beginning.

2. It creates a media buzz with soundbites of, "McCain does not even have a large lead in his home state."

Most people understand that Obama will not win Arizona, but in the process the Obama camp is forcing the McCain camp to play defense in a state which McCain never thought he would have to do so.

And in doing so they are forcing the McCain camp to take their eye off the ball (even slightly) in the swing states which are much more critical to McCain.

From that perspective it is a major win for the Obama camp.

Now I cannot disagree that with the overall financial advantage Barack Obama has that to come to Arizona and at least campaign here would have it's advantages. The one positive effect it would have here is to lend help to the democratic candidates that are running for federal, state, and local offices, which IMO is what the Obama campaign is actually doing here. Now, while I completely agree the Obama campaign is forcing the McCain campaign to play defense, and I am of the opinion that the McCain campaign has not been managed very well, I do however know that John McCain has campaigned in Arizona enough to realize that Barack Obama's efforts here in Arizona will not yeild this state to an Obama victory. I will however completly agree that to keep McCain on defense and spending money defending red states is brilliant on the part of the Obama campaign.

Personally, I think it is unnecessary and a little arrogant for Obama to go into Arizona. I wish he'd have left it alone.

Personally, I think it is unnecessary and a little arrogant for Obama to go into Arizona. I wish he'd have left it alone.

You know Silence, in this whoole election I have only seen one Obama sticker on a car here. I have yet to see an Obama sign. However, I can see where the students and parts of Phoenix and Tucson would be happy to see Obama making an effort here and our Gov. I think she is running around like shes going to be the next Sec. of Def. and on a personal level my feelings are if Obama does win please take her will you? LOL

No what I see David, is lately this impression that Barack Obama and many of his supporters are trying to give of the state of the race here in Arizona. First, David I live here, and when I see misleading information and have seen it for some time now about the very state I live in then I will counter it no matter who is saying it. Misleading information is designed to give people the impression that Barack Obama will win Arizona and I can tell you David , your spinning your wheels. Your posting is rather like me finding a local paper there in NY where you live with a small circulation and then using that as an example as how well John McCain is doing in the state of NY. That would be misleading on my part, I don't live there and have no idea what the demographics are there and have never voted there. The other thing you have never seen me do is try to mislead people with posting local Il. papers to leave the impression that John McCain will win Barack Obama's homestate. No offense David, but you get your information from polls , and I live here and have voted here, and can assure you that Barack Obama will not win Arizona and I didn't even vote for John McCain. You do realize that year after year here, ASU polls in Tempe and Mesa and Phoenix and never Sun City or Sun Lakes. Do you also know where the largest voting block in the valley is? That would be those very same retriement communities that have in the last election an over 95% turnout and about 800,000 registered voters of which 78% of them are Republican. While I know your happy about Barack Obama's chances David it is a little misleading to over the last several days leave the impression that Barack Obama will somehow win Arizona, when that possibility is remote at best.

This is quite interesting. Your reaction is quite interesting. I only stated that a moderate circulation newspaper in Tuscon, AZ had endorsed McCain's opponent. You're awfully defensive about this...

This is quite interesting. Your reaction is quite interesting. I only stated that a moderate circulation newspaper in Tuscon, AZ had endorsed McCain's opponent. You're awfully defensive about this...

David, I believe I stated my reasons, for my reaction to your post, if your intention was to just show a moderate newspaper in Arizona was supporting John McCain then what was the reason for doing so knowing that Barack Obama will most likely not win here, other than to somehow mislead people into believeing that somehow John McCains homestate did not support him? If your intention was to show that a small newspaper endorsed Barack Obama then why not pick a paper closer to your own part the world? No, David, the reason why I have addressed this issue is that it involves my home state and it also addresses an even deeper issue that I feel sums up this election in general and that is misinformation to sway public opinion. I am rightfully proud of my home, as you should be of yours and as such any misrepresentation of my home I will be happy to point out as you would yours.

You know Silence, in this whoole election I have only seen one Obama sticker on a car here. I have yet to see an Obama sign. However, I can see where the students and parts of Phoenix and Tucson would be happy to see Obama making an effort here and our Gov. I think she is running around like shes going to be the next Sec. of Def. and on a personal level my feelings are if Obama does win please take her will you? LOL
Isn't Arizona one of the hardest hit states from the housing crash? And you wonder why Obama might be campaigning there!

Isn't Arizona one of the hardest hit states from the housing crash? And you wonder why Obama might be campaigning there!

It is Luissa and I don't think I questioned his ability to campaign here, what I have stated is that his campaign here would help the democratic candidates which IMO will most likely win the house. As for the housing crisis, we have been hard hit by it, but Arizona's economy while slow is not amongst the worst in the nation.

Arizona has been the second-fastest growing state over the past several decades, and is expected to continue riding the crest for at least the next few decades. Over the next 30 years, Arizona will more than double in size. We can only guess what Arizona will be like, but it’s clear that a great deal of change lies ahead. Much remains to be determined. Will Arizona be a leader in the industries of the future, or become an economic backwater? Politically, will it remain a red state or shift to blue? Will Arizona still be the low cost leader? Will it become an exclusive place to live or be the Ellis Island of the Southwest? Only time will tell.

The number of jobs in Arizona will more than double over the next 32 years as 3.7 million new jobs will be created, boosting the total to 6.3 million.

On a positive note, home sales and residential construction show signs of stabilizing. After seasonal adjustment, residential building permits statewide have held steady near a 30,000 annual pace (of which 22,000 are single family). This represents a decline of 70% from peak activity in October 2005, on par with the declines experienced in the mid-1970s and early-1980s recessions. Clearly, the lion’s share of this correction is now behind us. Home sales have stabilized in metro Tucson but have actually moved up in metro Phoenix in recent months! Some 40-50% of sales are repossessed houses, which continue to flood the market, but they are being sold to investors willing to take the long view.

Arizona's Economy - Publications Archive

While like everyone else Luissa we have had a real issue here with home sales and lost jobs due to the construction of homes. Until such time as the inventory of homes is cleared or goes down, then here in Arizona, that construction jobs market will not return regardless of any Barack Obama blessing. His message while appealing to some here Luissa is actually seen as not very Arizona friendly and therefor will most likely cause him not to carry this state. However, Again I think I made it pretty clear why IMO he would campaign here.

David, I believe I stated my reasons, for my reaction to your post, if your intention was to just show a moderate newspaper in Arizona was supporting John McCain then what was the reason for doing so knowing that Barack Obama will most likely not win here, other than to somehow mislead people into believeing that somehow John McCains homestate did not support him? If your intention was to show that a small newspaper endorsed Barack Obama then why not pick a paper closer to your own part the world? No, David, the reason why I have addressed this issue is that it involves my home state and it also addresses an even deeper issue that I feel sums up this election in general and that is misinformation to sway public opinion. I am rightfully proud of my home, as you should be of yours and as such any misrepresentation of my home I will be happy to point out as you would yours.

Your home is about to turn blue.

This is one more little nail in his "Not Elected" sign he can hang up later.

At least he's able to hang up one. You on the other hand, stand zero chance. If you were to run for public office, the only people that will vote for you: people on drugs + you.

I think Obama's chances of winning Arizona are far greater then McCain's chances of winning pennsylvania,, Bush won Arizona in 2004 by 10.5 points. RCP has McCain holding on to a measly 3.5 lead. I dont care who you root for, you dont wanna be that close in your home state at this stage of the race.

Forum List

Back