Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

Discussion in 'Congress' started by peach174, Jan 8, 2011.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,692
    This is good news.

2. MajinLink

MajinLink Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not to sound inhuman or anything, but if you think that then you must think God let the other people who weren't so lucky die. Most of the other people who died were either really old or really young, the type that wouldn't survive a deadly attack as easily.

3. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,006
    Yes, that's why they are in heaven now,because they wouldn't survive as easily.
    It's not God's fault, it's Satan who does these evil things. He causes sickness and illnes if you read your bible.

4. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    I disagree. It's humans who do evil things. All Satan does - all he needs to do - is encourage the evil that already lives inside of us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    On another note, does anyone think Giffords will need to be replaced? Even if she has a phenomenal recovery - and God willing she does - it's going to be a long time before she's up to fulfilling the requirements of her job, nor should she have to be concerned about that or anything else but her health at a time like this. I'm a little unclear on the procedure, but if memory serves, only one other Representative has been removed for medical reasons before, and it involved a House resolution to that effect. Does anyone have any idea how long they would wait?

It's a horrible thing to have to think about, but on the other hand, I live in that district, and I don't wish to be without Congressional representation just to be polite.

6. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +185
    The governor could call for a special election, where the district would vote for a new representative, but that's in cases where the representative has died, or quits. The constitution to my knowledge doesn't really say what happens in a situation like this, and honestly I'm not sure if the governor would be permitted to call a special election or not.

I'd guess the seat would for all intents and purposes be "vacant" until she either is able to make it to the House to vote, she resigns, or until the next election cycle.

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I wondered the same thing. Will she be able to finish out her term and function as a Congresswoman? Can someone be appointed by the governor to fill her seat until she recovers (I pray she does soon) and is able to return to her seat or does it remain vacant until she has recovered?

Immie

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    I think if the Representative dies, the governor appoints someone to finish the term. After all, Representatives only serve for two years at a time. As I said, the only other time a Rep was removed for medical incapacity, I believe the House passed a resolution vacating the seat, which triggered a special election.

She was just re-elected, and I do NOT want to spend two years effectively without a Congressmember.

9. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    I don't think the law allows for a "temp" to fill in for a Congressmember. I think you either do the job, or you get replaced. I am a bit concerned about whether or not the House or whomever makes this decision will decide to simply leave my district hanging fire indefinitely.

10. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,385
    nope
    thats only for Senators
    Reps have to be replaced by election