Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

The governor could call for a special election, where the district would vote for a new representative, but that's in cases where the representative has died, or quits. The constitution to my knowledge doesn't really say what happens in a situation like this, and honestly I'm not sure if the governor would be permitted to call a special election or not.

I'd guess the seat would for all intents and purposes be "vacant" until she either is able to make it to the House to vote, she resigns, or until the next election cycle.

I think if the Representative dies, the governor appoints someone to finish the term. After all, Representatives only serve for two years at a time. As I said, the only other time a Rep was removed for medical incapacity, I believe the House passed a resolution vacating the seat, which triggered a special election.

She was just re-elected, and I do NOT want to spend two years effectively without a Congressmember.
nope
thats only for Senators
Reps have to be replaced by election

Any idea who makes that decision, and how long they're likely to wait to make it?

I think if the Representative dies, the governor appoints someone to finish the term. After all, Representatives only serve for two years at a time. As I said, the only other time a Rep was removed for medical incapacity, I believe the House passed a resolution vacating the seat, which triggered a special election.

She was just re-elected, and I do NOT want to spend two years effectively without a Congressmember.
nope
thats only for Senators

Any idea who makes that decision, and how long they're likely to wait to make it?
no idea
but honestly, if i were you i'd wait
i sure as hell would want that woman back at her job
i'd take her over my current congress critter, thats for sure

nope
thats only for Senators

no idea

I have no idea who your Congressman is, although it's entirely possible he/she is worse than Representative Giffords. I can't imagine why you think that means "sure as hell" wanting Giffords back. I didn't want her to begin with, although obviously I didn't want her out of office like THIS (It's disgusting that some people are so sick and partisan that I would have to even say that).

My big concern at the moment is that, despite the fact that she seems to be making a phenomenal recovery given the type of injury she suffered, that isn't the same as being able to carry out her job any time soon. As I understand it, the bullet went all the way through her brain, and she only survived because it remained in the same hemisphere, rather than crossing into the other one as well (I could be mistaken on this). I simply cannot imagine her being able to resume her duties any time in the near future, and I don't like the idea of my district having no Representative at all.

no idea

I have no idea who your Congressman is, although it's entirely possible he/she is worse than Representative Giffords. I can't imagine why you think that means "sure as hell" wanting Giffords back. I didn't want her to begin with, although obviously I didn't want her out of office like THIS (It's disgusting that some people are so sick and partisan that I would have to even say that).

My big concern at the moment is that, despite the fact that she seems to be making a phenomenal recovery given the type of injury she suffered, that isn't the same as being able to carry out her job any time soon. As I understand it, the bullet went all the way through her brain, and she only survived because it remained in the same hemisphere, rather than crossing into the other one as well (I could be mistaken on this). I simply cannot imagine her being able to resume her duties any time in the near future, and I don't like the idea of my district having no Representative at all.
Chellie Pingree ME-1

To my knowledge there's no mechanism, outside of a resolution by the House, to remove a Member of Congress involuntarily for heath reasons. Both the House and Senate have had members who missed months at a time due to illness or injury and that step was never taken, nor IMO should it be unless it's clear the Member will not be able to resume her duties. It's only been a few days, and the abilities of the human brain are in some ways a mystery to even the experts. Wait and see.

I'm so glad to hear that Gabby is doing so well with such a horrific type of wound. They took her off the breathing tube and she was able to breathe on her own. So far no swelling of her brain.
I think God is looking after her.

Not to sound inhuman or anything, but if you think that then you must think God let the other people who weren't so lucky die. Most of the other people who died were either really old or really young, the type that wouldn't survive a deadly attack as easily.

The christians already know that their God is a bloodthirsty villain. That's why they worship him.

To my knowledge there's no mechanism, outside of a resolution by the House, to remove a Member of Congress involuntarily for heath reasons. Both the House and Senate have had members who missed months at a time due to illness or injury and that step was never taken, nor IMO should it be unless it's clear the Member will not be able to resume her duties. It's only been a few days, and the abilities of the human brain are in some ways a mystery to even the experts. Wait and see.

Prayerfully, she will fully recover and be able to resume her duties very soon.

I have to say that it seems a miracle to me that she is still alive. Maybe when she has recovered we should consider her for a national position... I mean she seems to have been blessed.

Immie

Dittoing what Immanuel said.

As some have said, I believe the only legal means provided for replacing a member of the House other than in a general election is via a special election. If an incapacitated member is to be replaced, it would be necessary for there to be a formal recall in which a majority of the people vote to replace the member and then a special election to elect a new representative. As that would be a lengthy and expensive process, in the case of an ailing House member, they'll just wait until the next general election.

They don't want Congress or a state governor to appoint replacements even temporarily because it would be possible, in case of catastrophic loss of a delegation, that the appointments would benefit only one party or change the balance of power in Congress.

So, lets all hope the Gentlewoman recovers and is able to resume her lawfully elected position. Not only do we hope that for her and her family, that would also take all the politics out of it.

In the aftermath of 9/11 there was a lot of discussion in Congress on how to deal with a catastrophic loss of members from the House or Senate or both. What if the 9/11 terrorists had been successful in hitting the capital building when most of the House or Senate members were present in session or there was a joint session of Congress? It is not inconceivable that an entire state delegation could be wiped out or enough members killed or injured to prevent a quorum for important votes.

There is a pretty good report on some of that here:
http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/bitstreams/1409.pdf

Last edited:

Forum List

Back