Arizona bill targets ethnic studies

FifthColumn

Rookie
Jan 11, 2011
New law banning ethnic studies programmes goes into effect in southwestern US state.

Last Modified: 28 Jan 2011 09:47 GMT
A new law banning ethnic studies programmes has gone into effect in the southwestern US state of Arizona.

The state's Latino community claim the law targets them and say similar programmes in African American, Asian and Native American studies are not affected.

The law comes months after Arizona passed a controversial immigration enforcement law.

Al Jazeera's Franc Contreras reports from From Tucson, Arizona.

Watch Video for full report:
Arizona bill targets ethnic studies - Americas - Al Jazeera English

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here in Latino infested Chicagoland we are forced to listen to how brave and wonderful Mexicans are because of their LA RAZA laws that are forced on Americans who live here.

It is about time they learn the truth about how pathetic and lazy they really are for not fixing up their own countries and are constantly begging the US for pesos to feed their own children while the border jumpers drive $50,000 SUV's.

How intolerant can Arizona become?

Right wing run amok.

lol, so now it's intolerant to not TEACH ethnic studies.

good grief,:lol:

Tell us Liberals, what sort of job will these kids get with a degree in "Mexican-ness", "Black-ness" or "Minority-ness" or even "Woman-ness" for that matter? (Teaching "Mexican-ness" classes at liberal colleges that's what) You libs say America needs more educated people yet you clamor for more "ethnic and gender studies".

You're churning out a generation of ignorant navel gazers.

Arizona Statistics - Arizona Population - Phoenix Race Statistics

this is old info and it places some of the cities at 40% latino.

Arizona is trying to make nearly half of its population refuse their own family trees

wtf? the LATINO population can RESEARCH their own Family trees, they don't need the help of THE STATE

gawd, where do you people come up with this crap.

The people ARE the state

Where do you come up with this crap?

studying culture does not distroy kids.

Why do you want no one in this country to study culture?

Arizona is trying to make nearly half of its population refuse their own family trees

wtf? the LATINO population can RESEARCH their own Family trees, they don't need the help of THE STATE

gawd, where do you people come up with this crap.

The people ARE the state

Where do you come up with this crap?

Oh brother.:lol:
If "the people" want to take ethnic studies in college, they can MOVE to a state that offers it.

Last edited:
Tell us Liberals, what sort of job will these kids get with a degree in "Mexican-ness", "Black-ness" or "Minority-ness" or even "Woman-ness" for that matter? (Teaching "Mexican-ness" classes at liberal colleges that's what) You libs say America needs more educated people yet you clamor for more "ethnic and gender studies".

I don't know...

What kind of job do you get with a degree in French literature or Shakespearean drama?

I don't know...

What kind of job do you get with a degree in French literature or Shakespearean drama?

McDonalds?

I don't know...

I have a friend that makes $41 an hour with his french literature degree. He is the #1 fluffer at his club. He got the job because he met a guy backstage at a Shakespeare play.

How intolerant can Arizona become?

Right wing run amok.

The bill that was passed bans any classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government (sounds like a good thing to me), promotes resentment towards a specific race (again, good thing), and that the schools should not design courses catered to a specific ethnic group (aren't we all Americans? Would Dr. King approve of this?). According to the state AG, the classes were teaching Hispanic children that they were victims of U.S. society and others claimed that the school district had become too political, too ideological, and not focused enough on academics.

Assuming these accusations are true, what your objections here? Do you think this should be allowed to continue, because what I see here is not education, but indoctrination?

Arizona is trying hard to make their latino population go away.

The latino studies are not teaching an overthrow of the American government.

That is what the governor of Texas is talking.

I don't know...
How about football and cheerleading?
You've both listed studies and activities that require examination outside of your own little racial world.

Ethnic Studies doesn't do that. It creates self absorbed, navel gazing morons prone who play the race card and claim special victim status.

Can the 50% of white kids have a class dedicated to European heritage?

I see. Simply teaching kids math, science, english literature, American history, without providing any cultural studies is "making" students refuse their family trees? I am half Italian and half Irish. I never had a class in all of my years of K through 12 that taught me about either of those histories and Boston has a huge Irish heritage.

Why can't these kids' parents teach them about Mexican heritage at home? Or, why can't the schools just have an after school extra-curricular club to learn about Hispanic heritage?

Arizona is trying hard to make their latino population go away.

That's your opinion. I'm sure there are some people in Arizona who do want that, but I would imagine for most of them that is not the goal.

The latino studies are not teaching an overthrow of the American government.

So you attended one of these classes? I assume you attended one of these classes or has a child that has, because that's the only possible way you could know that, unless what you're really doing is engaging in speculation or outright lying, yes?

That is what the governor of Texas is talking.

Rick Perry has mentioned secession. That's not the same thing.

You have studied it every time you studied the hsitory of the US.

Why football or volleyball?

Why any elective?

You pretend that there are not other classes that are elective when this subject comes up.

The ending of these classes is intended as an insult to the latino population of this state.

It is its ONLY purpose

Forum List

Back