Ariz. lawmaker takes aim at automatic citizenship

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
PHOENIX - Emboldened by passage of the nation's toughest law against illegal immigration, the Arizona politician who sponsored the measure now wants to deny U.S. citizenship to children born in this country to undocumented parents.

Legal scholars laugh out loud at Republican state Sen. Russell Pearce's proposal and warn that it would be blatantly unconstitutional, since the 14th Amendment guarantees citizenship to anyone born in the U.S.

But Pearce brushes aside such concerns. And given the charged political atmosphere in Arizona, and public anger over what many regard as a failure by the federal government to secure the border, some politicians think the idea has a chance of passage.

Ariz. lawmaker takes aim at automatic citizenship - U.S. news- msnbc.com

Does anyone NOT agree with Pearce? Even if this goes against the wording of the 14th Amendment, can't we change said amendment?

I agree with him and think the 14th amendment should be repealed, but I don't see that happening since the politicians are afraid to alienate the Hispanic population.

I'm curious, have politicians in the state of Arizona made any sort of effort to secure their part of the border? If the federal government is doing a piss-poor job, they can at least do something about their own.

I was watching Greta last night and she had a dude from the Az. He's someone who's pushing this.

According to him, the 14th A was put in so that the children of Negro's would be recognized as citizens of the US. He want to bring this forth and have the SC take a look at the 14th, study the history on it, and see if it should indeed apply to children of illegals. He doesn' t think so. Wish I could remember his name.

I also agree with him. I don't think the 14th Ammendment was ever meant to include the children of illegal aliens in this country.

It should be reviewed and an ammendment to the ammendment needs to be put in if the SC decides the children of illegals should be citizens.

No other country accepts this except for Canada and one other. If your in their country and you give birth. Well your kid isn't automatically a citizen of that country.

Hope it does go to the SC so we can see what their honors have to say about it.

The 14th is due for revisiting, but this law won't do it. It won't last 5 minutes in front of a judge as there is absolutely no way to read the 14th, and this, and reconcile it.

Waste of time and taxpayer money.

People can I have your attention for a second.
We do not want this congress messing with the Constitution in no way shape or from. Leave it alone foir now. We have to many liberals that would love to amend a fewe amendments. No Repeal of the 14, 16, 17
Would you want your state senators to appoint a senator to the federal level if you had someone like nancy polsei in your state government?

We do not want this congress messing with the Constitution in no way shape or from. Leave it alone foir now. We have to many liberals that would love to amend a fewe amendments. No Repeal of the 14, 16, 17
Would you want your state senators to appoint a senator to the federal level if you had someone like nancy polsei in your state government?

Uh, Russell Pearce is pretty conservative, and this is inside the state. I'm not sure why your bringing up liberals.

Uh, Russell Pearce is pretty conservative, and this is inside the state. I'm not sure why your bringing up liberals.

Russell Pearce isn't the only person in Congress right now we have nancy polsei harry reaid. and so on and so on.....

Last edited:

Russell Pearce isn't the only person in Congress right now we have nancy polsei harry reaid. and so on and so on.....

Republicans have the majority in Arizona's state legislature. And this is a state law they're proposing, not federal. The national Congress has nothing to do with this.

Republicans have the majority in Arizona's state legislature. And this is a state law they're proposing, not federal. The national Congress has nothing to do with this.

Sorry my mistake. Then why is anyone saying anything about what Arizona is doing? No one other then someone who lives in Arizona has that right.

Last edited:
PHOENIX - Emboldened by passage of the nation's toughest law against illegal immigration, the Arizona politician who sponsored the measure now wants to deny U.S. citizenship to children born in this country to undocumented parents.

Legal scholars laugh out loud at Republican state Sen. Russell Pearce's proposal and warn that it would be blatantly unconstitutional, since the 14th Amendment guarantees citizenship to anyone born in the U.S.

But Pearce brushes aside such concerns. And given the charged political atmosphere in Arizona, and public anger over what many regard as a failure by the federal government to secure the border, some politicians think the idea has a chance of passage.

Ariz. lawmaker takes aim at automatic citizenship - U.S. news- msnbc.com

Does anyone NOT agree with Pearce? Even if this goes against the wording of the 14th Amendment, can't we change said amendment?

We had this discussion a few weeks back. May attitude hasn’t changed. I still don’t agree with Pearce. If being born in the U.S. in itself doesn't suffice for citizenship it seems to me that would disenfranchise 99% of the population.

How so?

If a baby is born to citizens,

OF COURSE it's a citizen.

The only folks it would hurt

are illegal aliens and their progeny, if none of them married a citizen, nor bothered to apply and BECOME citizens.

We've already HAD one amnesty bill passed, so as of 2000,

EVERYONE residing IN the US was considered a citizen.

Last edited:
How so?

If a baby is born to citizens,

OF COURSE it's a citizen.

The only folks it would hurt

are illegal aliens and their progeny, if none of them married a citizen, nor bothered to apply and BECOME citizens.

We've already HAD one amnesty bill passed, so as of 2000,

EVERYONE residing IN the US was considered a citizen.

Prior amnesty laws granted citizenhip? My understanding is that they have only allowed those that entered the country illegally a means to stay in the country and pursue citizenship. And about baby born to citizens being citizens, from the birth certificates of various states I've seen, none mentions the citizenship status of the parents. Thus it seems to me that if birth certificates no longer cut it, then the only ones who would be able to show any proof of citizenship would be those that have gone throught the nationalization process.

Forum List

Back