Argument for Atheist

Markainion

May 6, 2005
I am going to make a simple argument for atheist, one that I have made before to a few friends of mine that were self-proclaimed atheist and I was able to give the pure logical argument not to be one.

Here the argument: Most religions believe in some form of afterlife right, some belief in reincarnation, but who really knows about that. Ok so a religious person dies and he or her go to heaven where they meet loved ones and former friends that have already passed on from their former lives. Now if you’re an atheist and you die and go to heaven, what are you going to say? Do you really want to tell everyone in you meet in heaven that you were wrong?

Now, if you’re a religious person and you die and there is no afterlife. Who is going to say anything, after all you don’t exist anymore and no one that died before you exist either. So reasonably you don’t exist, but you never new that weren’t going to. So you died in peace believing that there was something to look foreword to. What does such a person really lose?

The funny thing is in my opinion religious people have a harder time with this argument that an atheist do. Personally I once tried hard to image myself not existing, but this was impossible to do, you simple can’t image something like this. If there is no afterlife I am ok with it, because all it means to me is things come to an end. I do think believing that your life has a limited time can have some positives, it can keep ones life in focus, because you want to take advantage of what life you have and I personally think that a good way to live.

Overall I believe in an afterlife because I refuse to believe that everything a person feels in his or her life is simply a biological function and all we are is a chemical reaction. To live such a life is hollow and soulless to me, so why does anyone want to live it. Personally I think you can see a higher being’s influence on the universe, within individual lives, and along with the overall path of mankind’s history, but this a different subject.

Markainion said:
To live such a life is hollow and soulless to me, so why does anyone want to live it. Personally I think you can see a higher being’s influence on the universe, within individual lives, and along with the overall path of mankind’s history, but this a different subject.

Not my particular point of view but: Because the illusion of the soul is a strong one, and it is incredibly easy to be decieved by it vis-a-vis one's own self awareness. Hence, believing a human life is an infinite series of biological functions and chemical reactions is no reason to a) give up on what is (albeit illusory) a pleasurable and fulfilling life and b) completely reject the *possibility* of an afterlife, despite a *belief* (not knowledge) in no afterlife and c) in lieu of this uncertainty, being courteous and letting other people live their lives as they see fit.

I have asked people who don't believe this simple question:

What if you are wrong?

They usually can't answer intelligently.

Markainion said:
Now, if you’re a religious person and you die and there is no afterlife. Who is going to say anything, after all you don’t exist anymore and no one that died before you exist either. So reasonably you don’t exist, but you never new that weren’t going to. So you died in peace believing that there was something to look foreword to. What does such a person really lose?

you don't lose anything and neither does the aetheist as they both died in peace beliving in what they belive.

GotZoom said:

What if you are wrong?

I ll be happy , it would be a good surprise if I discover there is an afterlife.

Because I can't know about wile alive it does not really matter for my daily life.

GotZoom said:

What if you are wrong?

if someone does not believe in the after life....whichever one it turns out to be .... and they die .... they will be in the same boat as all the other ones that picked the wrong religion ..... they we will go to hell .... or whichever location turns out to be correct. :funnyface

nosarcasm said:
I ll be happy , it would be a good surprise if I discover there is an afterlife.

Because I can't know about wile alive it does not really matter for my daily life.

you are going to hell :flameth:

nakedemperor said:
Not my particular point of view but: Because the illusion of the soul is a strong one, and it is incredibly easy to be decieved by it vis-a-vis one's own self awareness. Hence, believing a human life is an infinite series of biological functions and chemical reactions is no reason to a) give up on what is (albeit illusory) a pleasurable and fulfilling life and b) completely reject the *possibility* of an afterlife, despite a *belief* (not knowledge) in no afterlife and c) in lieu of this uncertainty, being courteous and letting other people live their lives as they see fit.

Ok, I can see your point. But if you had a loved one that is dying, that believes in God and an afterlife. Would you ever tell that person that there is no God?

On that point, if you knew someone who had strong religious beliefs, and he/she was a very good person and you really liked them. Would you want to take there beliefs away, given that they have accepted you for your and not trying to convert you.

I asking humanity question not a religious one. At one time in my life I was very close to being an atheist, and that is why I am asking this question. For during that time I couldn’t fight my family and friends that were religious on this subject because I new religion was very important to them, and in many ways it was who they were. If a person is healthy and happy and generally good should really try to change that person or their beliefs if you agree with the or not.

Later on I add religion back into my life, but I still figure being good to people to all religions and beliefs.

GotZoom said:

What if you are wrong?

My answer is I am right.

Pascal's Wager, huh- "You are embarked"- well what kind'a God you and Pascal believe IN. All the fires of hell for enternity? Nice, you say? Best He can do? I believe in Him, you say: all kinds of torment eternally. You can have Him , I keep away.

The issue is not whether I am damned for disbelieving, it is whether you are damned for belief.

manu1959 said:
if someone does not believe in the after life....whichever one it turns out to be .... and they die .... they will be in the same boat as all the other ones that picked the wrong religion ..... they we will go to hell .... or whichever location turns out to be correct. :funnyface

That’s why I addressed this to Atheist. If religious people had to fight on this issue there will be no end. Beside if your family gets there before you do. Hopefully they can fill you in on the truth a little easier than a stranger can. Unless you believe everybody is going to hell for believing in the wrong religion.

Markainion said:
That’s why I addressed this to Atheist. If religious people had to fight on this issue there will be no end. Beside if your family gets there before you do. Hopefully they can fill you in on the truth a little easier than a stranger can. Unless you believe everybody is going to hell for believing in the wrong religion.

well there can only be one correct religion...so that would mean a majority of the worlds population is not going to their happy place....and if there is no god of any kind they we are all just worm food.....

i vote you belive in what makes you happy and let others do the same...and do not force your will or beliefs on others.

manu1959 said:
well there can only be one correct religion...so that would mean a majority of the worlds population is not going to their happy place....and if there is no god of any kind they we are all just worm food.....

i vote you belive in what makes you happy and let others do the same...and do not force your will or beliefs on others.

Well, unless you’re talking broad religions, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist etc, most of are going to hell then. Why would Jesus let so many go there with out giving them a chance to know the truth? Where all condemned by our parents beliefs then, right!

manu1959 said:
you are going to hell :flameth:

By what Religion? :p

A much better argument would be "why is all of this injustice allowed to happen in the world if there really is a God." That's the most frequent one I've seen.

IControlThePast said:

A much better argument would be "why is all of this injustice allowed to happen in the world if there really is a God." That's the most frequent one I've seen.

A clinching argument for the nonbenefiscence of God.

Even if He feels our pain, why put so many people through it?

nosarcasm said:
you are not my judge in any case if I remember correctly.

that would be correct.....all aethiest are judge by Frederick Nietzsche, Fedor Dostoevsky and Albert Camus

Markainion said:
Well, unless you’re talking broad religions, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist etc, most of are going to hell then. Why would Jesus let so many go there with out giving them a chance to know the truth? Where all condemned by our parents beliefs then, right!

your argument assumes jesus is the god....if allah is the god....or whoever then all bets would be off

IControlThePast said:

maybe god, whichever one is in charge does not see what is happening as injustice :flameth: :flameth:

manu1959 said:
your argument assumes jesus is the god....if allah is the god....or whoever then all bets would be off

I can only speak for Jesus, as far as I know he is the judge. You can ask Arabian about Allah. I would prefer to be judge be Jesus personally.

Forum List

Back