Aretha Franklin gravelly ill

I honor that queen. She has a voice that send shivers up and down your spine. Hope she gets better soon or peacefully passes.

For once, we are in total agreement.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. She was a good singer, maybe even a great singer, but I wouldn't consider her the greatest singer of all time. R.I.P. Aretha.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. She was a good singer, maybe even a great singer, but I wouldn't consider her the greatest singer of all time. R.I.P. Aretha.

She hasn't died yet, S.J ....

But let's be fair.....her voice was totally and absolutely amazing! her voice!!! WOW:thup:

No one asked for your opinion of her singing. There are millions that consider her the greatest of all time.

But let's be fair.....her voice was totally and absolutely amazing! her voice!!! WOW:thup:
I know she's not dead yet but she doesn't really sing anymore. And I agree she had a great voice. I just think there are some who are better. I mean, it's a competitive field and largely a matter of personal taste. Not trying to take anything away from her, just putting it in perspective. Having said that, when she was in her prime she was great.

I know she's not dead yet but she doesn't really sing anymore. And I agree she had a great voice. I just think there are some who are better. I mean, it's a competitive field and largely a matter of personal taste. Not trying to take anything away from her, just putting it in perspective. Having said that, when she was in her prime she was great.

She was great! Yes

No one asked for your opinion of her singing. There are millions that consider her the greatest of all time.
I don't recall anyone asking for YOUR opinion either.

motown-maps-sites-legendary-detroit-label

2814.jpg

Aretha started singing in the choir at the New Bethel Baptist church where her daddy was minister. Barry Gordy discovered her like most of the other MoTown artists...within a couple miles of his apartment which became "HitsVille USA" and then Motown Records.

Map of Motown: the sites that made the legendary Detroit label

Last edited:
Diana Ross & The Supremes, Smokey Robinson (all the way at the back) Martha Reeves, Stevie, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight...has that much talent ever been crowded into a little apartment since? I don't think so.

Last edited:
With this great song by Aretha ...I say good night to all my friends :huddle:

Aretha Franklin~ " 'Til U Come Back To Me" (That's What I'm Gonna Do) 1978

Me and Mine will be praying for her and her family. Regardless of your opinion of her talent, many loved her music.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. She was a good singer, maybe even a great singer, but I wouldn't consider her the greatest singer of all time.

I agree, and I own most of her better songs in my library, including her gospel songs, which are actually better than her pop songs overall. I listen to something by her at least every three or so days. She was a good person, too; went back to her roots in her church by choice instead of going the usual route of dope addled degeneracy and ending up drowning in a bathtub or something stupid.

Chain of Fools, House That Jack Built, Call Me. she wrote that one herself, Think, and Don't Play That Song are my popular favorites of hers; her gospel stuff is all good, better than her pop stuff.

Hope she pulls through.

Last edited:
Wow, I surprisingly enjoyed perusing this rather inane thread... which leads me to question whether I might have an idolization issue with issues of pertinence, relevancy & reality... :)

Let's not blow this out of proportion. She was a good singer, maybe even a great singer, but I wouldn't consider her the greatest singer of all time.

I agree, and I own most of her better songs in my library, including her gospel songs, which are actually better than her pop songs overall. I listen to something by her at least every three or so days. She was a good person, too; went back to her roots in her church by choice instead of going the usual route of dope addled degeneracy and ending up drowning in a bathtub or something stupid.

Chain of Fools, House That Jack Built, Call Me. she wrote that one herself, Think, and Don't Play That Song are my popular favorites of hers; her gospel stuff is all good, better than her pop stuff.

Hope she pulls through.
This one's my favorite. Flip side of Chain Of Fools (if I remember correctly).

Forum List

Back